What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
With the exception of needing a shorter stem I think my new XC bike is done. I will say Yetis attempt at internal cable routing ports on this bike is crap.

These are super shiny!

RS1. Keen to hear if any good. I've had a carpark ride but not thrashed down a track yet.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I've done about 1800-2000k's on them now I think including quite a few races. They were on my Epic before hand.
I really like them and have had no issues whatsoever. They seem to have really good small bump sensitivity (IMO far better than the RCT3 Pike i have on another bike for instance)
The latest version have the rct3 damper in but I cant really justify upgrading to those... yet...

redbruce

Eats Squid
Good machines are not expensive anymore. It's the best thing ever for really cleaning stuff. Mines lasted me a good 6 years now, I've used it a heap.

Need to buy a little guy, PITA filling a 15L monster for cleaning two bolts.

When I use solvents for cleaning nasty stuff, I use it outside in the wind.
Put the parts in a small container and immerse container in ultrasonic filled with water with a drop of dish wash detergent in it to improve mechanical couple.

That's how we always do it at work cleaning instrument parts.

If using flammable solvents use a sealed container.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Put the parts in a small container and immerse container in ultrasonic filled with water with a drop of dish wash detergent in it to improve mechanical couple.

That's how we always do it at work cleaning instrument parts.

If using flammable solvents use a sealed container.
What would you use to degrease? Simple green?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Ace ride at Blores Hill today, just under 3 hours of perfection... the redone BMT is fantastic. Did it twice.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Checked out the two “new” lines at Majura. “Touching cloth” was pretty fun, good mix of rocks and speedy corners, just it’s over so soon.

Anyway, great work trail crew out there, 5 options from the top to bomb down now, quite a workout if you do all!

LPG

likes thicc birds
The story below is titled how I bit the bullet and replaced my stock swiss cheese hub with a hope rear hub.

Got my bike together for last weekend for the first time since moving to the Illawarra. (Took a shop a week to replace a hydraulic hose!) I had been walking the dogs along some local tracks getting excited to ride them. First ride was canned as the tracks were closed due to fire danger. Went to Greenvalleys for a couple push runs and had a few issues with my shifting. During the week it got worse even after putting it on the stand before every ride to make sure it was all perfectly in line. Must be a worn cassette I decided as it was skipping under load only and particularly in the large cogs. I was a bit surprised as it wasn't that old and I'm pretty good about changing chains to keep things in order. Then again I did just ride/bikepack the Colorado trail (800ish km and ~22km of climbing) which could account for a bit of wear.

So I ordered a new casette and put my old chain back on and went for a ride with someone thinking it should be fixed. It was fine until a small climb and thhen it started jumping from gear. Frustrated I pushed through the skipping chain up the next few hort ups until the chain snapped. With the chainbreaker we took the broken link out and was about to keep going when I noticed the casette was not spinning true. Went home and wasnt surprised to find a collapsed bearing under the big cog end of the driver. The pawls were also pretty shagged with one that was completely gone and a worn rachet ring. I never really liked the rear hub that came with the bike but thought I would at least destroy the rim first and build a fresh wheel up (even wear out my first rear tyre, though the bontrager Chupacabra is impressively lasting a long time).

Anyway I've ordered a hope pro 4 and spokes and should have it built up to the rim in a week or 2, looking forward to a decebt ride finally!

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally got to install this..

And try this tape out as a chainstay/seatstay guard.

The tape looks good but can be a process depending on how neat you want the finish to look..

A slightly longer B screw is needed as the derailleur only just clears the 42t.

A token bike pic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally got to install this..

The tape looks good but can be a process depending on how neat you want the finish to look..

A slightly longer B screw is needed as the derailleur only just clears the 42t.

A token bike pic..

The Sunrace cassettes work well I find. And you can just go to Bunnings for the replacement B screw, cheap as chips there.

BT180

Max Pfaff

Ah, been looking into that stuff. Can't you just run strips of it on the tops or sides of the stays (as it's sticky?), rather than having to wrap it around and around?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, been looking into that stuff. Can't you just run strips of it on the tops or sides of the stays (as it's sticky?), rather than having to wrap it around and around?

You probably could.

Doing it the way I did is like the old days of tube wrapped as a protector!

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Fiddled with a couple of bikes this evening....

Finally installed the rear Zee brake on the KP 153 and finished the greenifying with a new rear rotor, from the 180 to 203.

IMAG0741-2000x1500.jpg

Also, technically not my bike, but it used to be, new rear derailleur. 11 speed xt M8000 on 10 speed cassette and 10 speed xt derailleur. Works a treat!

IMAG0740-2000x1500.jpg

Had to install after he blew up the old Zee derailleur at Buxton earlier in the week.

IMAG0726_crop_653x695.jpg