How come there arent any competitive Australian online retail websites

• Thread starter Deleted member FN2187
  • Start date

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
CRC is based in Northern Ireland, this is within the UK taxation system.

Yes the Rep. of Ireland has a low corporation tax rate (circa 15% i think), if you think Ireland isnt a failed state, you're more than welcome to buy my property there..... its going cheap! :violin:
I thought Wiggle was in Re. Ireland. PRob wrong though.

And I don't mean to get all pol sci on you but a tanked economy does not a failed state make. Failed states mean that the state does control the monopoly of force, the state's writ doesn't spread to cover the territory encompassed by nationally agree borders, economy has basically disintegrated to the point where people mostly use another nation's currency, etc. The best example right now would be Somalia with other countries such as Yemen, Afghanistan, Mali, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, South Sudan, Libya, and Nigeria all at varying proximity from the brink - Nigeria and Pakistan being the furthest and Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya probably be the closest. All these state have a few things in common - they don't control all the national territory, they don't even control and monopolise violence where they do have a presence and foreign currencies are preferred over the national currency as there is little to no faith in the national economy for varying reasons. Ireland is nowhere near this status.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Yep, these guys and bike24 are winning the race. I'll wait for first parcel to arrive before committing anymore to them though.
Can I say that ive proven a point with that.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Yep, these guys and bike24 are winning the race. I'll wait for first parcel to arrive before committing anymore to them though.
No need to worry, heaps of people around here are happily riding around on stuff from them.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
seems a bit weird that most of the parts are coming out of either Taiwan or Malaysia, which is a shitload closer to Aust than either Ireland/Europe or USA, but costs us so much more!

Boom King

What is your point?

It's very hard to compete simply due to economies of scale. The Australian market is tiny compared to Europe or the USA. There is simply not enough money in it to compete on price alone.

As for your lbs, they make plenty out of the average MAMIL. From what I've seen, most people keen on off road are also happy maintaining and servicing there own stuff. Again, the market for MTB in the LBS is very small.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez, okay then. 1 all. I think my unwritten point was that CRC/wiggle are a comparitive rip/no longer such a great deal.

So if you're comparing the two of them to Aus sites, I'll go Aus.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I thought Wiggle was in Re. Ireland. PRob wrong though.

And I don't mean to get all pol sci on you but a tanked economy does not a failed state make. Failed states mean that the state does control the monopoly of force, the state's writ doesn't spread to cover the territory encompassed by nationally agree borders, economy has basically disintegrated to the point where people mostly use another nation's currency, etc. The best example right now would be Somalia with other countries such as Yemen, Afghanistan, Mali, Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, South Sudan, Libya, and Nigeria all at varying proximity from the brink - Nigeria and Pakistan being the furthest and Yemen, Afghanistan and Libya probably be the closest. All these state have a few things in common - they don't control all the national territory, they don't even control and monopolise violence where they do have a presence and foreign currencies are preferred over the national currency as there is little to no faith in the national economy for varying reasons. Ireland is nowhere near this status.
C'mon Johnny.... surely you picked up my hint of sarcasm.....?
On the other hand, following the GFC, Ireland entered into the EU banking bail out scheme to "pay back" the unsecured bond holders of the European power houses, which saw an independant Nations budgetary control given to certain EU committees to handle its refinancing and debt recovery.
Decisions were made to introduce austerity measures which included levies and tax hikes, all of which, on top of tumbling property prices (over 50%) and mass unemployment created a huge national depression and mass emigration. But all in all.... it was all fun!

I don't think any of the online retailers are based in the Rep.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Back on topic - I've found Pushys and Velogear prices to be competitive and their service is excellent!
Sorry for upsetting the fun police....My post is on topic.... just some parts run parallel.

Pushy's prices for maxxis tires wont be often beaten.

Boom King

Sorry for upsetting the fun police....My post is on topic.... just some parts run parallel.

Pushy's prices for maxxis tires wont be often beaten.
Same as shopping anywhere, pick and chose.

I've used Pushys, Mountainbikes direct, Crankin, CRC and Torpedo7 all with good results. I just use whoever has the best deal on what I want at the time.

Local would be great but my wallet is very thin.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Same as shopping anywhere, pick and chose.

I've used Pushys, Mountainbikes direct, Crankin, CRC and Torpedo7 all with good results. I just use whoever has the best deal on what I want at the time.

Local would be great but my wallet is very thin.
Wallet is thin.... or your arse is tight?

D

Deleted member FN2187

What is your point?

It's very hard to compete simply due to economies of scale. The Australian market is tiny compared to Europe or the USA. There is simply not enough money in it to compete on price alone.

As for your lbs, they make plenty out of the average MAMIL. From what I've seen, most people keen on off road are also happy maintaining and servicing there own stuff. Again, the market for MTB in the LBS is very small.
You've hit the nail on the head there. Yes lycra clad 50 year old men and Harry and Sally Homemakers are single handedly propping up the bricks and mortar stores for the forseeable future. But is that a cultural thing. Older groups of people who accept whats given to them in retail stores arent necessarily the ones looking to bling out their bikes. If everyone just accepted what their LBS had on the shelf, we'd all be riding a giant hybrid. Retail trends are shifting. Everyone wants the best deal and online sales are facilitating that.

But as society has proven time and time again, people don't always accept the status quo. I have nothing against Giant, Spesh or Trek I just appreciate the unique and boutique brands. Something that most LBS' dont support. And I dont expect them to. I guess thats why we as mountain bikers will happily shop online.

my original argument is this. If we are not being supported in the stores, we will go online. Then why cant an Australian retailer step up to the plate and offer Australians fairer prices across all ranges of products. Keeping our cash in Australia. This would require the support of the brands and distros. Thats what id like to see. MTBdirect and pushys are on their way but not to the point that will prevent people from looking offshore.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
seems a bit weird that most of the parts are coming out of either Taiwan or Malaysia, which is a shitload closer to Aust than either Ireland/Europe or USA, but costs us so much more!
Are we all missing out on an equivalent online retailer based in SE Asia?
I can remember buying some snowboard gear from a Chinese company (but through ebay) that made products for Burton and sold off excess stock and cancelled product lines for super cheap. We actually had the gear verified to make sure it was legit and not just a knock off.
Anyone know someone who works in the pike mega factory?

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
I see your $980 and raise you $950 from my local bike shop I just ordered a set.

Challenge accepted

Pike solo 27.5 150 or 60mm

Pushys ~$980 AUD
http://www.pushys.com.au/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-27-5-650b-160mm-fork-black.html

CRC - $1009 AUD equiv (and rising with our falling AUD)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109670

Wasnt knocking you for carbon, and I tip my hat for the effort you've gone to. Just recalling that many LBS' bread and butter business of $2-300 sh1tters is many, many orders of magnitude less cool, so its not inconceivable you will be more driven than the guy behind the counter.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
After just ordering a whole bike worth of components.. crc did not get any dollars from me
Evans
Bike discount - was cheapest for just about everything i was after

The pike mentioned above inbought from bike24 for 827 delivered.

Can be had for 800 delivered from bike discount..

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Ive said this in other threads ... DONT TRUST THE AUD VALUE THE OS STORES SHOW YOU !!

Check the value of your order basket by
i) getting the total of the basket in local currency (eg CRC, Wiggle = GBP, Jenson = US, Bikediscount = EUR)
ii) go to either Paypal or your credit card providers website and get their exchange rate ... depending on what you are paying with
- divide the GBP / AUD rate = Aussie amount.
Compare the value they say in AUD vs what you calc ... Theirs is always lower anywhere from 10 to 20%

they show rates the average consumer never will get.