How come there arent any competitive Australian online retail websites

• Thread starter Deleted member FN2187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member FN2187

This is a 2 part question and a bit of a complaint regarding thre state of brick and mortar retail stores in Australia.

1: Why is it that when we mountain bikers buy anything online we immediately look to the big 3(I know there are way more than that) online retailers. CRC, Wiggle and Jensonusa get the lions share of online cycling sales because they are so much cheaper than everywhere else. Economies of scale would dictate that the more individual sales at lower profit margins eventually equal higher gross profit. Why are there no Australian retailers trying to be competitive on a larger scale. Torpedo 7 doesnt count because it is from NZ and I dont find their prices to be terribly competitive except for a few exclusive brands they stock, or superceeded stock items they are selling for marginally less than retail. Pushys sometimes has a bargain or 2 but you have to catch them quick because they dont last long. But most of the time its retail, or close to prices all around.

2: So why is it then that Australian distributers fuck themselves and local bike shops out of sales by setting such high recommended retail pricing. Is it because Import taxes are very high in comparison to other countrys. To that I say CRC is based in Ireland...... A country who's economy is so far down the shitter they're nearly a considered failed state. How is it that Ireland a country with such a low GDP thats currency is the euro$ can import and export while offering free international shipping, can sell for less than someone locally. Does Ireland only tax gross profit? (Questions about Irelands econimic viability are for another time I fear) Or is it the brands themselves setting the pricing? Which to me in a global marketplace is pure madness. So why are there no competitive Australian online retail stores? Our economy is relatively strong, we earn good money and compared to europe, our taxes arent that high.

3: And now for the whinge. I am just as guilty as everyone else of buying from CRC. Who in their right mind would pay twice the price for the same product from a brick and mortar or Australian online website. Unless your national pride was so strong you feel compeled to support local business. I would prefer to shop locally if things were different. Often I walk into a local retail store(a giant dealer, arent they all now days?) here in canberra if I need something and check out the pricing. For example I wanted some new rims and spokes to rebuild my wheelset. Just raw prices, no wheel building necessary, I'll do that myself. The total price for 2 Spank rims and 64 DT Swiss comp double butted spokes....$410. Now I'm no mathematician but assuming the rims are priced at RRP of $120 each that means the spokes are being charged at $2.60 a pop. That is effing mental. So CRC I went and $250 later my Rims and spokes are ordered.

PS: Another thing that burns my chaps is this: When I walk into a bike shop I have an expectation that the person serving me has an actual interest in the products they are selling. I don't think its unreasonable to know the spec of a product or the level of componentry someone would expect to fit to their bike. For example, when I went to said bike shop to get a price for rims and spokes I was asked what sort of bike it was and if I had anything in mind? A good start. I explained that I wanted some 30mm wide rims for my Yeti SB66C because I felt that my Mavic Crosstrails were too narrow and not very stiff. First he recommended Mavic 721's. To be fair a decent rim if not a bit vanilla and too narrow. Then he suggested Alienation rims. WTF. If you don't know Alienation is a BMX company that makes a Ditch Witch copy for dirt jumpers. Not to sound like a total bike snob, But ditch witches on a SB66C? I asked about Spank rims because I have had a pretty good experience with the Spike rims on my DH bike and I know they do a 30mm wide AM rim. In the end it took him half an hour to find them on the internet and confirm if their rep could get them. How do you not know what products are available for your customers to buy? I've even had situations where I've had to tell a bike shop staff member what distributer sells a certain product after being told flat out that it was not available in OZ.

Sure we can throw rocks all day at local retailers and tell them all of the things they are doing wrong. But I know how hard it must be to find good reliable staff to work for peanuts and still make a profit. Pricing is not the retailers fault. Another trend that is huge in Europe and Asia is the Direct sales models we see popping up all the time. Germany has this covered with brands like Canyon, YT, Rose and Bergamont. Only YT and Polygon(Indonesia) sells to Australia. I know our population small in comparison but surely it is a viable option considering the popularity of brands like giant. What do you think? Are bike shops doomed? Are the one make shops like Giant and specialized stores a good or a bad thing? Can Australia have its own direct sales brand?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
1. Because they can't be (or aren't interested in) competing solely on price...

2. Because they can only get the prices for the volume they expect to sell...do you really imagine Bikesportz importing 25,000 Hope hubs every year to sell in to the Australian market? Not bloody likely. Yet CRC probably do so they pay less and can get by on a lower margin too.

3. Because if you do the research into a niche product they might sell once every Pancake Day...they don't have do.

4. Don't presume interest engenders knowledge. Plenty of 'burners are interested in bikes but very few know anything useful about them (despite illusions otherwise) - me included. So it is with LBS muppets.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Agree with what you said, but what is the answer or is it even our problem.
I'm only a consumer and I will get the best for myself and at the best price.
I tried to get some forks for my Daughters' bike.
LBS - last years model $485 with a total of 2 hours of driving x2. ( 1-2 weeks wait )
Wiggle - this years model $413 delivered to door in 3 days.

Have to admit though, I've only ever bought a full bike at LBS. (and that is 9 in 9 years), myself and kids.

If we lose our LBS it is not our fault. They need to find their niche and go with the winning formula.

D

Deleted member FN2187

1. Because they can't be (or aren't interested in) competing solely on price...

2. Because they can only get the prices for the volume they expect to sell...do you really imagine Bikesportz importing 25,000 Hope hubs every year to sell in to the Australian market? Not bloody likely. Yet CRC probably do so they pay less and can get by on a lower margin too.
That was my point. I understand your LBS will never be able to compete purely based on the volume of product they can physically sell. But you must admit that Australian RRP's are exaggerated compared to other countries. When I talk about online retailers I would hope they were more competitive. Not as cheap or cheaper than CRC, just competitive.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tl:dr

if you're riding a carbon super bike then chances are you know more and are more financially empowered than the person behind the counter. Perhaps not always, but in most lbs's I'd say.

I've bought things from both pushys and mtbdirect and had no issues with either.

I wouldnt buy from CRC or wiggle as their prices are almost as much as both of the above, unless they dont stock what Im looking for.

Minlak

custom titis
I just got an Avid Bleed Kit / Rotors / Pads for the same price from Pushy's delivered as CRC Delivered
I then got a Bottom Bracket / Maxxis Tyre / Shirt for the same price from Pushy's as CRC or Wiggle.

You just have to be selective on what you get from where like any retail.

I also prefer to buy in Aus or from Wiggle anything I am not 100% it is right.

D

Deleted member FN2187

tl:dr

if you're riding a carbon super bike then chances are you know more and are more financially empowered than the person behind the counter. Perhaps not always, but in most lbs's I'd say.

I've bought things from both pushys and mtbdirect and had no issues with either.

I wouldnt buy from CRC or wiggle as their prices are almost as much as both of the above, unless they dont stock what Im looking for.
Was 2nd hand. Had to sell 3 other bikes to pay for it. Id challenge anyone to try buy forks from pushys or MTB direct for the same price as CRC. Ive bought heaps of stuff from pushys. They even have a retail store in Canberra, but strangely wont honor prices from their website. But yes pushys has some good prices on some things, tyres for example are way cheaper from them. But for the most part if I'm doing a big order with multiple items CRC is always cheaper.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That was my point. I understand your LBS will never be able to compete purely based on the volume of product they can physically sell. But you must admit that Australian RRP's are exaggerated compared to other countries. When I talk about online retailers I would hope they were more competitive. Not as cheap or cheaper than CRC, just competitive.
But I don't think the point can be avoided. Both LBS and online stores servicing the region can't compete with Wiggle/CRC-esque prices because they can never cover the same volume of sales. Then you have to add the logistics costs to Australia as well and then warehousing, etc. etc.

Australia is a very high GDP per capita country making everything expensive, including the wages and the required returns of business owners. That transfers through to retail items on top of everything else making it pretty difficult to be overly competitive - then you add on the fact that low-price off-shorers such as Wiggle et al also reduce the amount the local sites can sell even further reducing volumes.

As for Ireland, isn't their tax very low and that's why the big multi-nationals redirect their tax payments there and pay little in the UK, USA, Australia, etc.? And whilst Ireland my have had econ troubles in the past I'm pretty sure they're nowhere near the realms of a failed state, lol!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm gonna hazard a guess here, and I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads.
The distro of the products will have a huge influence in the RRP's that the retail outlets can sell for. I recently went into my LBS, with which I have spent a very large sum of cash.
They will always try and complete with online prices of many items, but on this occasion, even before checking on the max discount he could offer, he told me to by off CRC/Wiggle as they were cheaper by a long shot.
He said that the importer/distributor had the wholesale prices fixed at a level that gave them no room to attempt to match the online overseas stores.

I will also point out, that when buying from European online shop, the VAT/GST is removed and in some cases, this is above 20%. If they were selling in their own market place, this addition of this duty would put them closer to the RRP of Australian sites.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Challenge accepted

Pike solo 27.5 150 or 60mm

Pushys ~$980 AUD
http://www.pushys.com.au/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-27-5-650b-160mm-fork-black.html

CRC - $1009 AUD equiv (and rising with our falling AUD)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109670

Wasnt knocking you for carbon, and I tip my hat for the effort you've gone to. Just recalling that many LBS' bread and butter business of $2-300 sh1tters is many, many orders of magnitude less cool, so its not inconceivable you will be more driven than the guy behind the counter.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
As for Ireland, isn't their tax very low and that's why the big multi-nationals redirect their tax payments there and pay little in the UK, USA, Australia, etc.? And whilst Ireland my have had econ troubles in the past I'm pretty sure they're nowhere near the realms of a failed state, lol!
CRC is based in Northern Ireland, this is within the UK taxation system.

Yes the Rep. of Ireland has a low corporation tax rate (circa 15% i think), if you think Ireland isnt a failed state, you're more than welcome to buy my property there..... its going cheap! :violin:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Challenge accepted...
Reflects well on Monza's pricing policy which is consistently good for all SRAM Group products in this country compared to offshore. If I need SRAM/RS/Truvativ stuff (especially small parts and spares) then I tend to ask LBS first.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Challenge accepted

Pike solo 27.5 150 or 60mm

Pushys ~$980 AUD
http://www.pushys.com.au/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-27-5-650b-160mm-fork-black.html

CRC - $1009 AUD equiv (and rising with our falling AUD)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-15mm-2015/rp-prod109670

Wasnt knocking you for carbon, and I tip my hat for the effort you've gone to. Just recalling that many LBS' bread and butter business of $2-300 sh1tters is many, many orders of magnitude less cool, so its not inconceivable you will be more driven than the guy behind the counter.
Wow, argument recanted. Good find.

D

Deleted member FN2187

Reflects well on Monza's pricing policy which is consistently good for all SRAM Group products in this country compared to offshore. If I need SRAM/RS/Truvativ stuff (especially small parts and spares) then I tend to ask LBS first.
Good on Monza. Now for all distros to follow suit.