33lb Intense M6

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

Just finished rebuilding an Intense M6 I bought a couple of months ago. It needed a lot more work than I'd hoped ( new bearings, pivot pins, and parts ) so I ended up spec'ing it up ( and spending it up! ). Hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet but looking forward to the ride and setting it up. I like lightweight bikes so that was the goal, and yes, single ply tyres so add about 1.5 lbs for dual ply minions or something for comparison purposes. For my kind of fun DH with the odd race I want to try the HD's and see how I go.

Anyway, hope you like it!

Frame - Intense M6 raw works finish
Rear shock - Revox with custom needle bearing pivot
Spring - Obtanium Ti with needle bearing spring seat
Front shock/fork - Fox 40 w/custom raw finish, Ti spring
Handlebars - Easton Haven Carbon
Stem - Chunked integrated crown / stem
Headset - e13 inset
Grips - ESI Racers
Saddle - Selle SLR
Seatpost - Currently Truvativ but Bontrager Carbon coming
Front brake - 2012 XTR race lever with Saint caliper, Saint Rotor
Rear brake - 2012 XTR race lever with Saint caliper, Formula Rotor
Cranks - Truvativ Descendant w/Hope chainring
Chainguide - MRP Lopes
Chain - KMCX9SL
Pedals - Dabomb Barebones
Rear derailleur - Sram X0
Rear shifter - Sram X9 drilled
Cassette - Omni Alloy 9 speed ( experiment...)
Front hub - Saint
Rear hub - Saint
Front rim - Stans Flow
Rear rim - Stans Flow
Spokes - DT Supercomp 2.0 / 1.7 / 1.8
Nipples - Gold Alloy 15g
Tyres - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
Tubes - NoTubes
Extras - Superstar axle, Ti Bolts everywhere
Total weight - 33.7 lbs ( 15.3 kgs )

m6leftside.jpg

m6rightside.jpg

m6drivetrain.jpg

m6front.jpg

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
It's not bad......:/ that's so awesome I'd hate to see the cost on that beast, though look at it, worth it.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
That Hope ring looks pretty cool and 15.3kgs is pretty bloody impressive ... Be interested to see how well the Stans hold up for DH

weight weenie award on this one :tongue1:.

De-stickered rims, Ti bolts, ESI, paint stripper, AM rims ... whats this Omni cassette thing ? ... nice

T.3

Likes Dirt
Great bike. If the tyres and rims don't prove to hold up to dh and you fit something heavier you could always claw the weight gain back with an air fork and shock. If the bank balance permits that is, I would say it's already taken a hammering.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
The omni alloy cassette is a 9 speed 11-32t (i might even ride it up the occasional hill!) that weighs 140grams. Guessing it won't last near as long as a steel cassette but time will tell!

And yeah, seriously would like to put a boxxer WC on the front and save another 1lb of weight, maybe down the track when the bank balance recovers :)

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Craig

driftking

Wheel size expert
Those super star axles are frikken brilliant for saving weight.
Next time Iv got my axle out of the commencal I'll be checking the weight not a bad place to shave a few hundred grams.
What's the strength like in them if you know anything About that?

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
I have a superstar 12x150 hollow axle in the rear. Saved about 20 grams over the stock intense axle, but really just bought it cause my original axle was scored and the superstar is gold and was under $25.

Been doing a little setup to the bike - definitely it seems getting the air pressure right in the compression circuit of the revox makes a big difference. Might also have to go to a 350lb spring in place of the 300 I currently have fitted. I'll know after a decent and varied ride.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
How will the stans hold up?
You know time will tell. I did a lot of research and it definitely seems the Flow is the go to choice if you want to build a lightweight DH wheelset. As the Stans site says, they have been used at world cup DH level with lighter riders. I'm only 73kg and 'think' I'm light on the bike and try and choose my lines well, so I'm confident they'll hold up. That said I did buy a spare rim when I ordered them in case I bend one badly. This was also my first ever wheel build, so it's all been a bit of an experiment into the unknown.

At the end of the day the wheelset weighs 1860 grams with saint hubs, triple butted spokes ( 2.0 / 1.7 / 1.8 ) and alloy nipples. The Flow rims are 470 grams each.

I'm also a big fan of tubeless and this tyre rim combo sealed up and barely leaks any pressure over a week, which is pretty good in my experience.

Cheers.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Small update - have done a couple of rides now and am getting the bike dialled. I have to say I'm definitely a fan of light weight, even for DH. The bike is very easy to move around and unweighted, hence I don't think I'm going to have any problems with durability of the stans rims. So far so good anyway. I did change to a 350lb spring from the 300 which means I'm bottoming out less, but still using full travel at times.

Need to settle on a correct tyre pressure too. 30lb is too high. Some more playing to do. Also fitted the carbon seat post but the 350lb spring (also ti) was heavier hence I'm still at 15.3 kgs. I do still like the idea of a 2011 boxxer wc to replace the fox 40's.. Swap anyone?

Cheers.

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Unconventional bike transport - M6 with M6

A not so obvious reason for me building up an M6 is the fact that my daily mode of transportation shares the same name, albeit a little older than the bike. I have owned a 2006 BMW M6 for about a year and a half ( yes, I'm a car nut ) and am still super happy with it. Probably noweher near as expensive as you might think either, with some amazing second hand deals on them as I think they slip a bit under the radar with not many around. Not ideal for transporting a bike though, but so far my suction cups designed for moving glass panes around have been working fine. Cable ties around the grips and seat do the job and the bike goes on and off real quick. I've driven about two hours to the blue mountains with a bike on the back using this system with no problem - the suction cups stick on really well ( 75kgs each holding strength ).

So anyway, here's my M6 with M6!

m6withm6small.JPG

m6withm6-2-small.JPG

And one more pic of the bike showing the chunked crown and haven bars, and my drilled out shifter.

m6controlssmall.JPG

Cheers.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Haha... That's friggin awesome... I keep having this image of you shuttling 4 bikes, suctioned all over the car..hahaha.

Had any second glances from the boys in blue?? The only concern I'd have is with the cable ties, I'd prob use proper ties/straps...... :):)

T.3

Likes Dirt
That's awesome, the bike, car and "bike rack". Now we know why you built the bike up so light, so as not to slow the car up too much ha ha.

Last edited: