Anthem X1: Too Hard to Beat in "Bang For Your Buck" Terms?

mtb1611

Seymour
Greetings all. I'm looking at acquiring a new XC steed and despite my desire to purchase a non-Giant bike, I'm having trouble getting past the Anthem X, in pure "bang for your buck" terms. I am by no means anti-Giant; my last 2 mtb's have been Giants and my current mtb and road bikes are both Giants! As nice as it would be to deviate from the (my) norm, the spec on the $3600 Anthem X1, coupled with its positive reviews appear too hard to beat. Thoughst and comments would be greatly appreciated. Disclaimer: if your thoughts and opinions are based on a purely anti-Giant semtiment, please waste your time elsewhere, as I'm looking for objective opinions.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Whats you budget?

In terms of bang for you buck how do these stack up?
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...n-collosus-sx3-shimano-xt/manly/nsw/100364085
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...-collosus-crx-shimano-xtr/manly/nsw/100364096

The CRX is a full carbon frame and apparently weighs 10.64kg according to the spec. I've seen one in the flesh but have not ridden one. Looks very nice.

Good luck with the new bike purchase

P.S not affiliated at all just saw them today and thought it was a great spec vs price.

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
I've just had a X3 replaced with a warranty. The 2012 Frameset is identical apart from colours. I've also just replaced all the driveline on mine. went to a 32-11 cassette.
This is for some reason considerably faster for me. I'm tickeled pink. I also notice the 2012 X1 comes with a double front ring & 10 at the rear.
so different ratios again. But I like the Idea of very close ratios.
I've not had the chance to ride a 20 speed with different ratios at the front. But I cant halp but think....is the 36 rear tooth overkill? Has the 38 chainring got enough legs for a XC course?
I don't know.....I need to ride one.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
For someone who rides as well and hard as yourself mate, i dont think there is a bike that can match that, i think if it steers clear of the Giant branded wheels etc, can only be a good thing.
It has crossmax wheels and ritchey controls?
I only worry is it too light for you or would you be better going to a high spec Reign? for you i thought a lightish Reign would be better, because the extra weight will be offset by your pedalling strength and fitness, it would also suit you in riding pretty technical tracks!..but it comes down to horses for courses!..I think you cannot beat the high spec Anthem!

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
frame gussets?

A guy at the 3 ring circus was sitting on his very nice brand new giant 29er talking to my mate on his gleaming new giant 29er - referring to their steeds as seagulls - bloody everywhere. I heard a couple of guys doing the finding nemo scene - shouting "mine, mine, mine" on the night race.

The only advice in XC I have heard recently is "don't buy a XC frame without a gusset between the top tube and the seat tube.... I have sent 3 in for welding in the past month" he was referring to another brand at the time - this broad oversimplification would also cover the Anthem, but something like a Spez Epic is OK.
I guess this advice would also depend on where you fit in the flea<--->clydesdale scale, as I'm closer to the heavier end, his statement could have been just for me.

The other thing I have noticed is that "when you are sitting on another bike looking at someone else" the maestro link suspension looks like it bobs around a little more than say Spez FSR geometry - maybe this is just an illusion...

... there you go - a couple of doubts that may push you to consider another brand and maybe take a little less bang for buck - which I guess is the aim of your question.

If it was me - I'd be looking for something with FSR "type" geometry that isn't a Spez ('cause they may be seagulls too?) - can you get Chinese carbon FSR frame geometry copies?

-carpetrunner

paulb

Likes Dirt
I bought an X1 26 Anthem a few months ago. Very happy with it. Climbs, turns and accelerates well. Good on the downhills though I think it could be a handful without the wide bars. The head tube is huge and the front feels really solid

On carpet runner's comments - the top tube where it meets the seat tube is tiny - so I hope Giant have the strength sorted. I'd plan on making sure there was adequate seat post anyway.

On Bob - I've never turned pro pedal on on the Anthem. Every FSR I've ridden - Enduro, Stumpjumper, Motolite has bobbed lots unless pro pedal was on (and on firmly). The Anthem just sits slightly in its travel and drives. Maybe it would be different if i did lots of standing climbing.

On the seagulls thing - this did kind of influence me away from the 29er (they ARE everywhere) but it's not really a big issue. And I happily have other bikes that aren't so common :eek:range:

PS: I still have and enjoy the motolite, but it does need its pro-pedal. It just seems to me FSR is probably better for downhills than climbing - it is very active.

Last edited:

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Ive smashed an 09 Anthem X1 from new for the past number of years and despite replacing my drivetrain (as expected) with xt/xtr, dropping a shorter stem and flat bar the bike has been faultless for the $ paid at the time even when 09 was price crazy^^^^. Its hard to find an equally spec bike for the price if you dont mind riding a Giant? Not as plush and forgiving as a spesh, yeti or pivot but f*ck they move when you push them hard.
If I had my time over I would buy one again if thats any indication of the spec value but like everyone knows, 2012 is going to be interesting value with other brands coming down quicker than Coles to snag your cash? Shop around.

tegski

Likes Dirt
As an owner of one of the 29ers that was recalled…
Don't worry about the bike - Giant will look after you if there are any problems. I had a new Anthem X2 to use to train for 6-7 weeks for the World 24 hr Solo - not my drivetrain wearing out! …and the shop let me keep the bike as a reserve in the race once I got my 29er back. Very happy with Giant's back up.
I am not worried about having the bike duplicated around me - I just think that they must be smart buyers too! Really - as some of the bike mags will tell you - why pay 3 times as much for a bike that performs no differently? Very happy with my purchase - and have just bought a Giant roadie too - shock horror! (great value too!)

akashra

Eats Squid
...why pay 3 times as much for a bike that performs no differently? Very happy with my purchase - and have just bought a Giant roadie too - shock horror! (great value too!)
This is a very hard argument to make against the Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 - their high-end road frame, equipped with Dura-Ace Di2, for less than $8k.

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks very much for your responses guys, I greatly appreciate them.

I have no problem riding a Giant, despite their popularity. I've been riding since 1991 and in that time have ridden an enormous number of bikes. I have always been of the opinion that boutique brand bikes (Ellsworth, Pivot, etc) are, despite being good machines, a bit of a wank: same performance for twice the price, and for what? Essentially, in terms of the ride, a different set of stickers! Therefore the fact that, if I purchase my 4th Giant, I will see a large number of them on the trail, is not something I give half a shit about: if it's a great ride at a great price, that's all that matters.

Looking at the specs I'm not sold on the 2012 Anthem X, much lower spec list than the 2011 model, hence the lower price tag: no UST wheelset, RP2 as opposed to RP23...still a good spec for the coin, but not up there with the 2011 model IMO. Based on spec alobe I'd much prfer to pay $3600 for the 2011 model than $3000 for the 2012 version.

In terms of the frame gussetting, I can't say that I've heard of any Anthem breakages; they may well have happened but I don't recall any publicity in regards to such an issue.

I've looked at a myriad of other bikes online and while many of them are great rides and good value (eg: Scott Spark) they're not in the same BFYB category as Giant's of similar price tag and purpose.

Oh and Todd, the cheque's in the mail mate, haha!

Last edited:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
As an owner of one of the 29ers that was recalled…
Don't worry about the bike - Giant will look after you if there are any problems. I had a new Anthem X2 to use to train for 6-7 weeks for the World 24 hr Solo - not my drivetrain wearing out! …and the shop let me keep the bike as a reserve in the race once I got my 29er back. Very happy with Giant's back up.

That will never happen to your avarage joe blow. I had to ride my Big W shitter for 6 weeks.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Hmm, first I'd looked at details of the 2012 spec. Have to agree it isn't the no brainer the 2011 was. There's nothing on the 2011 bike I really feel a need to upgrade (which felt a little unusual). A FIT fork would have been nice but otherwise it was all good. Now it looks like you need to go carbon to get that spec.

red gum

Likes Dirt
Why not look at a scott spark 20 2011 mod full xt l just picked one up for 3700 only thing is it is a 26 inch

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Fluid form tubing kinda puts an end to needing traditional style gussets as the tube Walls can be manipulated into different thicknesses.

red gum

Likes Dirt
if you shop around lawaracia in hawthorn had one for 3600 so l put pressure on the local shop and they came down beats goning to melbourne if it breaks