fat b'stard noob. Skills needed......update: Progress!

morganb4

Likes Bikes
Hiya.
Situation: Lardy with dodgy knees. Ortho said 'get on a bike and shed the weight'.
Solution: Anthem x1 - it ticked all boxes and was a 9.9 out of 10 for my needs.
Problem: Slog is not the issue, I can push a bike for a long time. Lack of useful, technical ridding skills is going to ultimately restrict me.

Am I enjoying it? Absolutely, best bike I have ever ridden. I have come from years and years of road bike then a lot of time on simple but fast up/downhill trails in UK on a hardtail. but for last 15 years or so have just done nothing except swell.

I live in flatland and their are some good off road loops (7 - 15k) which I am using to gradually get fit again (lost 2.5 Kilos of target 20) but it occurred to me that if I was on anything other than a straightforward track, I wouldn't cope. If I came across a small log or any kind of drop off I would dismount and go round.

Whilst this in itself is safe, it just breaks the ride up and is less fun/fulfilling. I see people on youtube handling what clearly to them is not an obstacle yet to me seems impossible.

I accept that loosing more weight would probably need to come before learning technical skills. If I am going to fall, I would rather do so weighing less than I do now...

QUESTION (finally): Can you point me to any good resources that can help me learn the more technical aspects of riding off-road?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
QUESTION (finally): Can you point me to any good resources that can help me learn the more technical aspects of riding off-road?
Best resource is to ride with other people. There are also a few companies around that offer skills clinics which can also be helpful.

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
http://www.mtbtips.com/beginner-how-tos/

There is a how to ride drop offs section there and that will relate to going over obstacles. Don't get me wrong, they are completely different but if you can ride a drop it'll be easier to ride over a log

My tips
1. Practice on something small, maybe a plank of wood at your place?
2. Watch other people do it if you can, it helps A ALOT, that's how i learned to do jumps.
3. Ride up to it going about 5-10 km so if it doesn't work you don't go ass over tit.
4. LIFT, you'll need to lift your front wheel on just about everything so you might as well get used to it now.
5. Lower your seat, yes it's harder to pedal but it will give you an easier escape route if you lean to the side to much, it also makes it easier to get your front wheel up. Once you get better you can keep your seat height the same all the way through.

brettjon

Likes Bikes
Hi there,

I'm just getting into some XC/DH and I'm taking the baby steps as well. I come from the supercross world so I have some skills (not as many carry accross as you'd think)

My recomendation is to start small and work your way up. I've been bush trail riding and also hitting a few moderate grade downhill runs and also a few jumps.

I think everyone should be aware they're going to come off at some stage, let's face it... if you don't then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough ;)

Good luck mate, stay positive. Just because people can huck 50 foot gaps doesn't mean they won't fall off trying to get their feet clicked into their pedals!

BW

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
To brettjon, I've got a video that may just help you improve.
[video=youtube;TkvWp5ypjg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvWp5ypjg0[/video]

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Whilst this in itself is safe, it just breaks the ride up and is less fun/fulfilling. I see people on youtube handling what clearly to them is not an obstacle yet to me seems impossible.
It's also kinda the point of mountain biking - you ride over everything.

Where are you from mate? I did a skills day with wannaride (run by the guys at CBD cycles in Sydney) and it improved my riding a lot.

If you can't get to anythign like that, as others have said; ride with other people, start small and work your way up, just ride more!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
best way to skill up is to ride with other riders who are better than you.

Now where do you find them ... what area are you in - as there will be mtb groups that ride?

You will be surprised how much having excess weight is a limitation in mtbing. Cause what you are really doing is taking your KGs and throwing them up, down and around, not easy unless you have brute force and tech skills to match - that's why XC champs are all skinny little bastards:).

So concentrate on getting the weight down, main reason being I suspect your tech skills will improve as you progress and also you don't want to expose yourself to injury, by falling off heavily or trying too hard. So be patient and get the weight under control first.

Tech Skills: the beautiful thing about mtbing is the skill requirement increases as your speed increases, so trick is to ride within your skillset and then branch out as you progress - this is where you need to follow other riders.

What are the basics? Well I keep coming back to being able to ride in a straight line over roughish terrain, lift the front wheel over obstacles, bunny hop, gear selection, line choice, maintaining a hover ride position to absorb bumps ... and nearly forgot, knowing how to fall safely.

Good riders make it look easy cause they know the line to take, that's when mtbing becomes more like surfing I reckon.

One big way to progress very quickly is to enter participation type events like Jeep 24 Hour or Crits, you can then follow good riders lines as they come past and get out of your comfort zone.

good luck on your quest, have a routine, follow it but remember you're in for the long haul - so enjoy the magic of the ride.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Where abouts are you based?

And just ride your bike! The more time you spend on it, The more comfortable you get and are liable to push outside your comfort zones. Drop your seat and just mess around out the front of your house doing stuff like lifting your front and then rear wheels over a curb, riding as slowly as you possibly can, practice track standing and doing endo's and wheelies. Like your 13years old again. Will give you a much better sense of your balance on the bike and build a basic skill set to work off.

paulb

Likes Dirt
In print this is excellent but if you're as noobish as you say maybe too advanced. AMB had some reasonable DVDs a few months back. Not sure I'd pay a lot for the DVDs but if you can find them they'd be worthwhile

Best to ride with others but otherwise just start small - 10cm rolloffs etc. Build up gradually and you'll surprise yourself with what you can do. Just don't do a six foot drop without building up to it :D

morganb4

Likes Bikes
Thanks to the individuals everyone who have suggested riding with others & skills classes. I think these probably have to happen, as it’s the most common suggestion here. It’s also how we learn with most things anyway. When I am back down to about 70-75 and am fit again then I will get involved with other people but until then, ridding with me is probably like ridding with a boat anchor.

Ozmanick: there is an empty car park on the loop. Thanks for tips & video.

Brettjon & mtb101. Yes that’s the plan, I know Im going to fall and I know I am at a disadvantage at the moment. Weight has to go first. Got most of those tips except bunnyhop and falling safely (nearly broke left wrist last week).

Others who have asked: I am in Aspendale Gardens a bayside suburb of Melbourne.

Shakes, thanks, I will take it to the car park tonight.

Redbruce: great resource, thanks.

Tomacropod: ha ha just sold one (street bike that is, not a 15 yo)

Paulb: thanks will check over and order book anyway, its not a lot of money compared with the cost of the bike. Won’t be doing a 6’ drop on this bike, would probably kill it.

Thanks to all who have generously contributed their time to this.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
When I am back down to about 70-75 and am fit again then I will get involved with other people
Nah, don't wait until then. Plenty of fast people like an excuse for a slow ride from time to time. If they don't, you just need to convince them they do. Only riding with people the same speed as you is for roadies.

btothec

Likes Dirt
I had a quick look through the thread and don't think I saw a mention yet of http://mtbskills.com.au/. When I first took up Mountain biking a couple of years ago I did one of there courses and it helped me to learn good techniques to use out on the trails. I've done several of the different courses they offer as my skills have improved as a way to weed out any bad habits I've managed to form with my riding.

They cater for all levels of riders not sure if it would be something your interested in but if it is shoot them a message with any questions. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

morganb4

Likes Bikes
^ Thanks

Well I have made some progress. The other day I rode down a set of steps no less than ~3" each. What a rebel eh? I knew you would be impressed. Im so hardcore....

IMG_0739.jpg

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
+1 ride with others ... but I think you've cotton'd on to that

There is alot of trial and error with riding ... well my riding anywho ... I remember all my mates and I pretty much falling all over the place when learning how to ride clipped in ... and then there was the "... how steep can I roll down" stage ... and the "... how slow can I jump these doubles stage" and of course who could forget the "I'm gonna run over everything stage" ... all of which quickly gets you to the I love Downhill stage.

Now without nagging (too much :p) ... I recommend not to wait to lose weight (see what I did there) ... again a little bit of trial and error with chosing ridding buddies ... but IMO once you find the right combo, your mates for life ... and nothing better then progressing and pushing each other ... and the shits and giggles that I think most of us are good at.

Anyway, I think I missed the "Huck to flat stage" which I think you'll be getting to soon, given the sides of that stage thingy above ... disclaimer ... bring camera as I see a bent Anthem in the works :D

good luck with it

my02

Likes Dirt
and + 1 to what Nerf said re wait and weight.

You can still be technically superior whilst being a fat knacker. There are in fact many fit fat knackers with skills.

Sage words mate

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
and + 1 to what Nerf said re wait and weight.

You can still be technically superior whilst being a fat knacker. There are in fact many fit fat knackers with skills.

Sage words mate
+2

If you wait till you lose weight you'll never start.

And if you start now - you will lose weight by biking!

I've lost over 10kg in the last 2 years, mostly due to mountain biking. If I'd waited till I was thinner, I'd still be fat now.

It becomes a vicious cycle - you ride lots and lose some weight, riding becomes more fun because you're now more experienced (and lighter), so you ride more, and you lose more weight!

...As you get better you also get phatter :D