Jersey Etiquette

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it long-sleeved and white? If so you are correct, they were given to all the volunteers at the stromlo WC. I dont see any issue in wearing it.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
I personally hate people that wear jerseys/merch from events that lay claim to them having competed when they didn't. I won't go around wearing an Aussie team kit or a Mawson marathon jersey because I've never competed for Australia or done the Mawson marathon.

Your jersey on the other hand is just general merch that doesn't lay claim to you having competed and it was dirt cheap, so go for it.

Incidently I'm a bit of a hypocrit as I do have an 'Around the bay in a day' jersey despite never having competed in that but it was a brand new Scody jersey for less than $10. I feel like such a fraud whenever someone notices and asks me about it but hey it was a cheap nice jersey to train in. Beggars can't be choosers :)

wembas

Likes Dirt
The fact that you were at the Salvos looking for antenna cable ( of all things ) should be the source of debate here - not the bargain jersey......

not the first place id look thats for sure :)

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
The fact that you were at the Salvos looking for antenna cable ( of all things ) should be the source of debate here - not the bargain jersey......

not the first place id look thats for sure :)
Normally it would be straight to Dick Smith or Jaycar, but I knew they had some from when I dropped some furniture off there a few weeks back.
A big spool of it to run the new antenna from the roof through the wall to the lounge room. I see where your'e coming from though.

0psi

Eats Squid
A survey in the 50s found that 70% of men admitted they wanked and the other 30% were liars.
Another survey showed that 65% of men wank in the shower while the remaining 35% sing. Oddly though no one was knew what songs were sung.

cfd01

Likes Bikes
Another survey showed that 65% of men wank in the shower while the remaining 35% sing. Oddly though no one was knew what songs were sung.
Ha. Was there any stats on a combination of the two?

BOT - Since when did MTBers care about looks and how much stuff cost that used to be reserved for roadies but seems to be creeping in more and more!

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a few early to mid 90s Kona race team jerseys including a rainbow jersey worn by one of the team members around 1992 and another with Dave Wiens name on the back. If I'm out on a retro ride and I'm on one of the old Konas then sure I'll wear them as they look the part. No one really takes much notice and if they do then its only to check out the old bikes. :cool:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BOT - Since when did MTBers care about looks...
Since always. Otherwise TLD, Fox etc etc would all be out of business.

On the subject of Jersey Etiquette. In some cricles its frowned upon to mismatch brands between frame and jersey.

Last edited:

rubikat

Likes Dirt
Its a souvenir jersey from the worlds - not a race or rider jersey.
I got given one as a prize for volunteering.
RRP $90

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Then went and had a dig around on the T-Shirt rack. Never know what you might find, and lo and behold there is an MTB jersey for $0.75 cents.
I'll take it. Because sure, I'm a tightarse. But that's not the question here.
What I want to know is 'am I a wanker'?

You see, the jersey is a decent 2XU garment, and for $0.75 cents it's a steal, but the jersey states in bold 'MTB WORLD CUP CANBERRA AUSTRALIA 08 'Nissan UCI Mountain Bike World Cup' THE ULTIMATE RIDE'.

Looking at it here on the table I kind of feel I should have have earned it. And $0.75 cents at the Salvos certainly isn't earning it.
Yes, you are a wanker. You should have given them $5.00 and insisted they keep the change. ;)

driftking

Wheel size expert
worlds jersey Id probably keep it and never ride with it
If you are wearing it and I saw you riding Id assume you were a damn good rider not a wanker, if you were slow id be wondering how you got to worlds.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Since always. Otherwise TLD, Fox etc etc would all be out of business.

On the subject of Jersey Etiquette. In some cricles its frowned upon to mismatch brands between frame and jersey.
"You cant wear this with that..... or your not wearing that with this..." and frowning at mismatching hmmm.... it all this sounds alot like my wife....

one of the Biggest mistakes we make in life .../is worrying about what other people are going to think.... 9 times out of 10 people are not going notice the issue (in this case the jersey) unless you point it out.

If your that worried, winter has arrived, wear the jersey under another one to keep warm! That way you will be able to wear it and no one will ever know!

The only thing thats bad about it is you have probably denied some poor bum who's less fortunate than you (and probably cant afford to go into a bike shop and buy a jersey for $80.00) ,Their only the chance to buy a MTB jersey of any sort!

Nuff said!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Since when did MTBers care about looks and how much stuff cost...
You got one of those magic money trees? If you feel like sharing a clipping let me know!
Until them I'll keep looking at price tags I think.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
If you are wearing it and I saw you riding Id assume you were a damn good rider not a wanker, if you were slow id be wondering how you got to worlds.
Haha yeah I agree. But no I wouldn't think you'd be a wanker as from my eyes - you'd be just another bloke flashing the new blingin' expensive gear, or a funny dude wearing a hysterical costume to get the spectators and cameras rolling :p

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
You got one of those magic money trees? If you feel like sharing a clipping let me know!
Until them I'll keep looking at price tags I think.
I think he may have meant that the other way around. As in, who cares if you got it really cheap, as opposed to the typical roadie "Look at my new $200 jersey."

fairy1

Banned
How do you get four pages on this? I'm not reading any of the thread but I think If it has tight sleeves you're a wanker if not you're fine.