Post your commuter!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
All good - less than $50, IIRC? They bend so can be put into a smaller box than you'd think. The guy is proud of his work & certainly packs them safely.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Here is my commuter. 08 Felt Dispatch with flat bars. Still on the standard 39-16 gearing as it suits my commute of 13-20kms with 100m of climbing.

I need mudguards after todays ride home.

bikerboy85

Likes Dirt
My Commuter

Here's mine not the best looking at the moment but when its finished it'll do the job. It was my first MTB bike back in the day, stripped the old forks and the rest of the stuff was lying around in the garage.

Attachments

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Well this is my "to be" commuter, it also doubles as my first ground up build. I got inspired by following numerous builds here on this very forum. Building it from scratch was a thoroughly rewarding experience over the last couple of months. Looking forward to getting into the 15km each way trip to work & back.

For those who are keen on specs:

Frame - Carbon (20.5")
Fork - On One Carbon
Handlebars - Ritchey Comp Lo rise
Stem - Ritchey Comp
Headset - Token
Seat Clamp - Hope
Grips - Fluid Lock on
Saddle - Ritchey Comp
Seatpost - Ritchey Pro
Front brake - Deore hydraulic with 6" Rotor
Rear brake - Deore hydraulic with 6" Rotor
Cranks - Shimano SLX 44/32/22
Chain - SRAM PC-991
Pedals - Wellgo D2 Smoothies
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - XT
Front shifter - Shimano SLX
Rear shifter - Shimano SLX
Cassette - SRAM PG-950 11-28
Wheelset - Fulcrum Red Metal 5
Tyres - Schwalbe Marathon
Tubes - Ritchey
Total weight - 10.5Kg

After 2 months of flogging the online stores, Ebay for bargains & the LBS for support this is the final result.

Attachments

Knopey

Likes Dirt
SE Lager (XL)
Steel frame, SS, keepin' it real bay bay! :cool:

SE Lager.JPG

I love this bike way more than I ever thought I would. Is it wrong to say I love it more than my MTB? It's such a friendly thing to ride.

nshm

Cannon Fodder
Hey Matt, Nice Bowery. What fenders did you end up with, and are you happy with them?

Thanks,
Nick

My Giant Bowery. Perfect for commuting in the rain. Reflective stickers on frame and wheels are actually black but reflect silver.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone running SS on their commuters?
What ratio?

I'm about to get this...
Marin Point Reyes 29'er
To commute to my new job on.
I'm going to play with the spec a bit, sell the drivechain & brakes.
Putting Xt/Xtr/Elixers/Juicy Ultimate Brakes on, Going to run SS and pretty much leave the rest of the bike as is...for now :)

Not so much worried about the bikes value, Its to commute from the bus stop at the station down to work, where it will stay during the day, then back to the bus stop at the station where I'm going to get one of those big solid bike lockers.

Opted for 29'' wheels, as the ride is fairly flat, so they should roll REALLY fast once up to speed :)

Thoughts?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
XTC2 - Tarmac bandit

The XTC2 was never a great MTB, and would certainly never be a cool MTB.
But had the potential to be a great, and maybe even cool commuter. Maybe...
As I am building up a dually for the trails I thought I'd retire her for training and transport duties and turn it into a light weight full rigid.

I actually put some XC tyres on it the other day and took it for a runch at cabbage tree lane and it still translates to a bit of (smooth) single track surprisingly well even with the rigid up front. A big bag and some really low psi and she still flys on the trail.
So it's on with the nobbies for special occasions only... For old times sake :)

Frame: 06 Giant XTC2 6000 series fluidformed alluxx
Fork: Trigon Carbon rigid (830 grams)
Stem: Ritchey Pro 110mm 31.8 1/18
Bars: Jetblack Carbon Hi-Rise 680mm
Clamp: KCNC 34.9mm w/Ti bolt
Saddle: Selle Italia SL XC Flow 143mm
Shifters: 2009 XTR 9spd
Skewers: NC17 CRMO Anodised red W/Brass bushing
Grips: ESI Chunky Silicone
Cranks: XT 175mm
Chain: XTR
BB: XT
Cassette: SRAM Redwin Red
RD: XT
Headset: FSA
Pedals: Shimano
FD: Deore
Hubs: Deore
Rims: Bontrager Ranger
Tyres/Tubes: Specialzed FATBOY 1.25" w/Tioga 1" Tubes pushed out to 1.25"
Rotors: 180mm XT (Front & Rear)
Brakes: Deore
Bling: KCNC Top Cap Ano Red, KCNC Ano Red Headset Spacer, Token Ano Red chainring bolts (yet to go on), Token red steel bolts for levers.
Weight: Smack on 9 kilos on the 1950's scales. So probably out a bit.

IMG_8615.jpgIMG_8636.jpgIMG_8620.jpgIMG_8625.jpgIMG_8626.jpgIMG_8619.jpgIMG_8617.jpgIMG_8622.jpgIMG_8629.jpgIMG_8631.jpg

Last edited:
Tourer/Commuter

Have used touring bike for overnighters, but is sweet as a commuter.

Frame:
Steel, vertical dropouts, with mounts for three bottle holders and front and rear racks.

Drivetrain:
Triple chain ring. Sugino 175 mm
Campagnolo 8 speed shifters, shimano xt rear derailuer with shimano 7 speed cassette (I spaced cassette to 6mm to suit campag shifter/shimino deraileur combination, 6 sprockets used)

Old 27" aluminium rims, respoked using freehub from the '80s

IMG_0619.jpg

SS ratio

Anyone running SS on their commuters?
What ratio?

Have a fixie running 53:18, 175mm, 27" wheel

...and a single speed roadie 48:17, 170mm, 700 wheel

About a 3:1 ratio works for me on roads, can pedal up and down pretty steep hills.

Off road about 2:1 works for me.

see my post about SS ratio

Two of my rides.

The green fixie has nice "Made in Adelaide" decals with Olympic games rings and international flags. John Christoff was a cycling coach and custom frame builder in Adelaide.

IMG_0625.jpg

I have just finished putting together the cream single speed.

IMG_0622.jpg

Another 28" single speed

Unknown 28" singlespeed - will get the works.

Thought you might like to look at my Bullock.

Made in Adelaide.
John Bullock operated South Australia's first chain of stores. Traded from 1896 to 1939?. Had stores or agencies in most large country towns in South Australia as well as 3 in Adelaide.
Was involved in bicyle racing. Built and sold motor bikes as well.

Bike has 28" wheels, cottered cranks, Odd drum brake to rear hub, which sort of slows you down a bit. Blue and red pinstrips to frame, guards and wheels. Have SPD pedals to help get up Flagstaff Hill Rd. (10:1 gradient, feels steeper!)

IMG_0629.jpg

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Picked this up about a month ago for $380 brand new from a shop, pretty ridiculous considering they're still being sold for around $700 at other shops. Gotta love bikeexchange.com!

I'm trying my hardest to only upgrade things that are practical. I've had to force myself to NOT order a thomson bar and stem and a new saddle. Only thing thats been changed since these photos are the tires. On my very first commute I got a flat on the front AND the back, it wasn't an enjoyable 5km walk home.
I opted for Schwalbe Durano Plus tires, although quite heavy for a road tire they supposedly have unreal puncture protection. I've ridden about 150km's since changing tires and am yet to get a flat :)
Only flaws about this bike stock are the tires and seatpost. The tire problem was addressed above, and the seatpost just continually slides down regardless of how tight the collar is done up... Maybe a thomson seatpost ISN'T such a bad idea hahahaha
I commute from West Footscray to Hawthorn East which is about 20km each way, I also ride to uni which is only 9km each way. This stock gear ratio (I don't know what it is) seems perfect for all the hills that I encounter.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Peachy, Roll your bars down about 10 degrees. The extensions should be horizontal to slightly downwards pointing. You'll achieve a better aerodynamic position for cutting wind and will be easier on your wrists when riding out of saddle. the should look more like this:

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Peachy, Roll your bars down about 10 degrees. The extensions should be horizontal to slightly downwards pointing. You'll achieve a better aerodynamic position for cutting wind and will be easier on your wrists when riding out of saddle
Great observation there Danny nice work!
The photos were taken straight outta the box, they've been setup as you described for a while now and you're absolutely right, it certainly does make climbing a hell of a lot easier :)
What bike do you ride in the photo you posted?