Post your commuter!

mtb1611

Seymour
Here's mine in 'commuter' mode. I only have one bike so change between knobbies and slicks and also slap on some Planet Bike fenders when the weather go bad.

Specs are:

Frame: Soma Juice 18"
Fork: One-One Carbon
Drivetrain: LX/XT/XTR
Brakes: XT 775's
Bars: Syntace Vector Carbon
Seatpost: RF Next SL
Stem: RF Deus XC
Headset: Aireal EV-2
Grips Ergon
Saddle: WTB Devo
Wheelset: XT hubs laced to DT X470 rims
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon 700x35c
Lightset: Dinotte 600L or 200L (F) / Cateye TL-LD610 (R)
Fenders: Planet Bike
He rides it offroad too ;)

My bitsa:

Bought in the mid '90s, estimate it's about 12-14 years old, most bits replaced except frame now...

Both XC and DH Raced

Currently with about 2500 kms up this year so far.

Looking to get a replacement in the form of a Salsa La Cruz.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My brother has the same IH frame used for commuting, but yours is way cooler with relics of the 90s... Mozo forks, Magura brakes, Deep Vs, and are they White Industries cranks? :cool:

Also looking to get a La Cruz for commuting eventually, until then 29ers with slicks will have to do.

workmx

Banned
Commuters: Jock Bullen ---> Trek 3700

I have been looking for a decent bike as a commuter for a while now.
I was using the above 1989 Jock Bullen high tensile steel frame monster MTB for a while.
But it had only about four working gears (out of 15) and was killing my knees.

I managed to grab the below Trek for AU$100.
The previous owner was using it to commute to work and for family weekend rides.

The bike was stripped of lots of random stickers, all reflectors (except one that I forgot...), bell and rack. The plan is to slowly replace the parts for better ones (replacements already done in bold).

Frame: Trek 3700 19.5"
Fork: RST 191 C6, 63mm
Drivetrain: Acera and Suntour
Brakes: Tektro
Bars: Salsa 11 degree with onza barends
Stem: Truvativ team
Seatpost: Race Face Evolve XC
Saddle: WTB Devo Ti
Headset: ...?
Grips: WTB lock-on
Wheelset: No-name hubs and Matrix 550 rims
Tyres: Specialized Nimbus Armadillo 26x1.5
Lights: Knog Gator (bars) / Ay-up (helmet) and a Planet Bike 0.5W blinkie at the back
Extras: Shimano Pro DIGI-X8 computer and a Cateye bottle cage.

Now need to trim down the front brake cable and the fork steerer or get a decent rigid fork.

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
My Giant Bowery. Perfect for commuting in the rain. Reflective stickers on frame and wheels are actually black but reflect silver.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
They are Soma Urban Pursuit bars. The funny thing is, i've taken 50mm of the ends already ! I think the pic makes them look bigger than they are...i hope :eek:

Volatile

Likes Bikes
I ride this everyday, began life as,

as it sits now, Mosso rigid forks, 8" rotors (overkill?) single chainring in front.... though I can't bring myself to swap out the K-Rads......

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
My Speedwell Fixie....great commuter to school and the city and everywhere...here she is

Its now got chrome drops....looks a little different and much better to ride

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Mallet

Specifications
FRAME & FORK - 4130 Chromoly Steel
B/B SET Cartridge 110mm/68mm
RIMS Alex DA16 700c 32H w/ CNC Machined Sidewalls
F/HUB Quando 32H Alloy Hi-Flange
R/HUB Quando 32H Alloy Hi-Flange Flip-Flop w/16t Cog
SPOKES 14G Stainless Steel w/12mm Brass Nipples
TYRES CST 700x32c
TUBES CST 48mm Long Valve Presta
H/BAR Silver Alloy Bullhorn 40cm w/ White Tape
H/STEM Forged Alloy White
SADDLE Aero Saddle w/ Chromeplate Rails
SEATPOST Alloy 27.2mm x 250mm
CHAINRING 1/8x46t 7075CNC Alloy
CHAIN KMC Z410 1/2x1/8x94links
PEDALS Shimano clipless
B/LEVERS Alloy Cyclocross type
F/BRAKE Alloy Dual Pivot
R/BRAKE Alloy Dual Pivot

got it for $599 brand new + delivery, threw on a 16T freewheel sproket and the pedals - good to go!:D

Attachments

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
Bike1.5.JPG
Bike2.5.JPG

Standard SE Lager.
I figured I'd change a bunch of stuff, but all I really did was throw some knoggs on it and ride the pants off it.

My daily commuter. Technically a ripping cx singlespeed, but goes just as well (if not better) on the black stuff. Its an On One "Il Pompino" frame which i'd been trying to get from both definitive cycles and on one directly for the longest time, when finally i found this one second hand on this lovely website, custom painted in the very colour i had originally intended to paint mine. Seems as if it was meant to be.
So far i've only contributed the theme accompanying tires and pedal cages, but more upgrades to come in time...
Was going to wait until i got around to taking some better shots before posting it, but since my seatpost, saddle and seat clamp were all lifted while i was busy enjoying a film at the imax, it might be a while before i get another chance.
Love this bike to death and recommend it to anyone. Fastest and most enjoyable bike ive ever ridden.

p.s- yes i did post this in the roadie thread first, but thought it was more appropriate in this thread so i copy and pasted it...

Last edited:

splunk

Likes Dirt
Reflective commuter

Here is my 25 year old Malvern Star Sprint 12 Commuter converted to a single speed (53 x 18).

After watching the brightbike video on youtube i decided that i should do it too. So went to ebay and spent $20 and got myself 6 sheets of black reflective vinyl. The vinyl is rated for 6 years of outdoor exposure and it is very adhesive. Took me about 3 hours to clean and apply the vinyl. Overall, very happy with the result.

One problem I have is the chain keeps on falling off, even when the chain tention is super tight. I only have a rear sprocket which is not single speed specific. If I get a bmx or track sprocket with longer teeth, will that help? Or is it my 9 speed chain that i am using?

Attachments

workmx

Banned
Update

A few upgrades for my commuter: Salsa Cromoto forks; Halo hex bolt skewers; WTB Slickasaurus tyes; and Avid Single Digit v-brakes.

And inspired by Splunk's eBay purchase and wanting to hide some of the ugly Trek stickers... I have added reflective plastic in an old-skool kinda design.

Daylight:

Night with flash: