kona vs

rc30

Likes Bikes
hey im wanting too spend some serious dollars on a dh race bike cuz i want too do some dh races. i went to wc and now im amped. im a fairly good rider and want a bike i can really feel working underneath me aswell as being stable predictabl solid etc. im looking at a norco team 07 and 08. and a kona stab supreme 08 model and maybe a giant glory1. some people say the giant is such a fast bike but i like the feel of the kona when i sat on it but being a more visually less complicated bike im not sure how well they work. does the kona rail corners and is it rediculously responsive and easy to throw around. norco what about these.

bikeman102

Likes Dirt
hey mate,

havnt riddin the DH1, but i am also thinking of buying one, alot of people say that it is the best value for money DH bike on the market. so thats what i would be lloking to buy

juzz

Likes Dirt
Mate I have a Kona and its rocks, smooth as silk to ride.. Two height levels for bottom bracket so the low settings it corners like its on rails, chain rings plow through the ground nicely.

Barrett

Likes Dirt
Konas are great rail every berm smooth as when it gets rough....a nice ride.
I raced one all last season on the 08 and will get the 09 for this season.

indica

Serial flasher
I used to own a 05 Stinky. Rode it heaps and kicked its' arse.
A friend has a Glory and I have had at least 8 runs on it on our local track. Great bike and great value. It was the DH1 .... a little too short for me and the front end was very heavy and hard to pull up.
Just got a second hand 07 Stab. Love it, the bike has thrown me a couple of times already because it went faster down our local rocky chute than I was ready for. Tracks fantastically, the floating brake makes a big difference and the suspension is ultra plush. Boosted as hard as I could off our ski jump - hit it at 50 + and scared myself with how high I went.
Both bikes are great, the Stab seems a little longer and feels a bit plusher - I think it has a longer shock stroke. Both are great bikes, the spec on the Giant is better, but I think the Stab is a better bike. My opinion only of course.
Oh, YVC have them on special, and Moseley won on a Stab.

FR_MANIAC

Likes Dirt
Agreed.Sam Hill would make any bike fast compared to us hacks.By the way what place did he run in Canberra?

Agreed.Sam Hill would make any bike fast compared to us hacks.By the way what place did he run in Canberra?
Sam didnt do to well at all. not even top 10 i think. he ran a 2:50 and others were running low 2:47's.
My mate has a 08 glory and i have ridden it and it is the best bike i have ever been on. it is soo smooth and can take a hammering.

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey mate if you want to spend serious dollars ($6000 +) then you should consider a santacruz v10. never ridden one personally but they are supposed to be excellent. Also check out the Glory DH0 which have come down for 09 (RRP $5995). i have a kona hardtail but can't comment on a kona duallie.

Pug to ride "Kona" Not "Ironhorse"

SAM HOCKEN TO HANG UP THE HORSE!

Can you believe Sam Hocken aka "Pug" Vic Series Overall Champ in Elite is going to be riding a Kona next season after picking up sponsership we will now see him on a "Kona" he is hanging up the horse so it will be interesting to see wether he is faster on a "Kona" or a "Horse".

chucka_2

Likes Dirt
i would go for an iron horse team. i have the expert and in my opinion it feels awsom. but before you make any major descisions i would wait until you get to ride all the bike you are looking at. dont get it because people say that it is good.

Barrett

Likes Dirt

Can you believe Sam Hocken aka "Pug" Vic Series Overall Champ in Elite is going to be riding a Kona next season after picking up sponsership we will now see him on a "Kona" he is hanging up the horse so it will be interesting to see wether he is faster on a "Kona" or a "Horse".
Must be bloody fast if if rides on that kona team. but seriously dude go easy on the Sam for president posts....

tmorr150

Likes Bikes
If you dont want to spend some serious money the stab or a stinky is the way to go especially if you like the feel of the stab.
my friend owns one and i've ridden it a couple of times It's a very nice bike.

If you want to spend a little less you can pick them up for around $2500) I ride an 08 stinky which is built more for freeride but I do mostly downhill on it runs perfectly fine. If you want more travel upgrade the rear shock to a DHX 5.0 or something and the fork to maybe boxxers. Alakazam you have a very race worthy bike.:D

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

"That" will be very "interesting" to see "indeed"!

Dont get a Kona

Dont get a kona they are shit and the new ones look like cheap kmart bikes with fabian stickers on it. Barrett you said that you had one all season but didnt you crack the frame and have to get a warranty? Pug is a great rider but his really going to have to train now his on a kona:(