'Help needed - parents won't let me race'

jamis7

Likes Dirt
im having a little bit of trouble with my parents not letting me race downhill has anyone else had this problem mine just think it is to dangerous how do i get around this???

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
Change the thread title to something like 'Help needed - parents won't let me race' - should get you some more attention.
Work on your spelling and punctuation too, it'll get you some better responses.

There are more than a few parents of riders / racers on this site that are racers themselves, and I expect they'll pipe up in a short while with advice for both you (go ride) and your parents (don't worry he's having fun).

Racing a mountain bike happens within a fairly controlled environment.
Help from more experienced riders is always at hand, to pick the fastest / easiest / safest line through a tricky section.
Chicken or 'B-lines' exist on most commonly used tracks - you can take the easy way around an obstacle if you're not up to it.
Plenty of high quality safety gear is available.
Professional first aid is always present - and for the most part, they don't actually get much business, and get to spend a beautiful sunny weekend out in the bush, around a bunch of people doing what they love.

Lots of kids already out there racing means lots of parents hanging around the pit area.

There is an element of danger, but it's nothing that can't be handled with practice and riding within your limits.
It's a hell of a lot safer than driving a car on the road. Trees and rocks and dirt don't get drunk or talk on the phone.

All I can suggest is just get out there and ride as much as you can.
Show them that you're serious about it and they may consider changing their tune.

Keep your parents onside though, don't go hopping lifts to races with mates behind their back - it's not gonna help your cause.

Do your parents ride?

Last edited:

KD#23 dh rider

Likes Dirt
hahya yes i had this problem and it got bad enough that dad had to fly down to tas from syd last year to take me to the tas round of downhill nats cause mum wouldnt drive 3 hours to take me....but i love racing so much that i moved states to live with dad and now im racing yay! :D

jamis7

Likes Dirt
nah my parents dont ride mt dad is in an important job and hes seen that when i broke my collarbone i couldnt do anything for a few weeks and mums not into it

jamis7

Likes Dirt
and yes i would wear full protection if i where to race but is there a line between safty and looking like a spoily noob

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same problem mate, and in the end couldn't get around it. So I just had to suffer until I was basically 18 years old for my first race. Having done a few now anyway, I can tell you that IMO you are not missing out as much as you probably think you are. It is a bit over rated.

I think I started a thread like this while ago or on here or on mtbdirt, if you search you might find it.

Maybe get them to go to a race with you to watch? I tried it and would have been a great idea, just some fella decided to stack right in front of us and break his wrist :eek:

If you can't get around it, just practise and practise. And when ever they allow you, you will be faster and better prepared than ever.

KD#23 dh rider

Likes Dirt
and yes i would wear full protection if i where to race but is there a line between safty and looking like a spoily noob
ah not really.....would u rather look like a "noob" on the track or being in a wheelchair for your life cause u didnt wanna where the pressure suit over the rock garden cause it was to hot and no one else was wearing it and u wanted to fit in so u didnt look like a noob?

Dicky

Punter God
You're talking about not wanting to wear armour in a thread about convincing your parents to let you race.

Think about that.

joy boy

Likes Dirt
jamis,
you need armour, all you have now is a k-mart style half hat, and I don't think its much use you racing quite yet, get a better bike, and practice mcfrenzy more, i'm guessing that's the track you're going to race. once you've done this, you should be fine.

better armour alway's works, i've flipped over the handlebars on the fastest section of track three times, and I still haven't injured myself

Last edited:

Minical2233

Banned
Yup, i have same problem atm aswell. My perents dont want to drive me to races because suposibly its to far, i have been to 1 race, and that was Eildon and i left on the Sunday, not the Saturday because my perents didnt want to stay over night.
I understand at the moment that my dad isnt well and we cant do as much riding and racing till he's better, but before it wasnt kool at all.
My perents have no problem with me racing, they enjoy me riding my bike around and enjoying myself, but maybe not going off 14ft cliffs or doing something completely dangerous in there terms. But they egsept me riding, but they just cant be bothered to take me, all i got to do atm myself is to get a friend or local to take me or wait till a race is local.

Anyway, i do have problems with my perents aswell when riding my bike, but just in different turms, mostly on how much it cost's to repair my bike and getting to and from races really.
I have all protection aswell an suitable bike to use.

Anyway, thats my story lol

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
owned.

10 charecters
:rolleyes: Not the effect I was going for - I'm actually trying to help this kid out, as well as anyone else who is in a similar situation and reading this thread.

There is a tendency for more experienced riders to wear less armour.
The minor difference that it makes to mobility and comfort may help to earn them another half a second off their race time.
I dare say they've already learnt how to crash, and yes, there is such a thing - you learn how to minimise injury when coming off the bike after doing it enough times. It won't save you from everything though.

Ignore all of that, it's not where you're at. You should be focussing on getting to the bottom in one piece. Going fast will come later.

Wearing full kit may not look or feel 'cool' to you, but it's a whole lot worse to end up in hospital with an injury that could have easily been prevented.

You're going to have to make some concessions if you want to get racing. Wearing the right gear should be at the top of that list.

Edit: Minical's signature ^^^ is exactly how NOT to approach this.

Last edited:

KD#23 dh rider

Likes Dirt
Not the effect I was going for - I'm actually trying to help this kid out, as well as anyone else who is in a similar situation and reading this thread.

There is a tendency for more experienced riders to wear less armour.
The minor difference that it makes to mobility and comfort may help to earn them another half a second off their race time.
I dare say they've already learnt how to crash, and yes, there is such a thing - you learn how to minimise injury when coming off the bike after doing it enough times. It won't save you from everything though.

Ignore all of that, it's not where you're at.

Wearing full kit may not look or feel 'cool' to you, but it's a whole lot less cool to end up in hospital with an injury that could have easily been prevented.

You're going to have to make some concessions if you want to get racing. Wearing the right gear should be at the top of that list.

Edit: Minical's signature ^^^ is exactly how NOT to approach this.

well said.

wearing armour will save a hell of a lot but not everything, example, im now off the bike for 6 weeks with injury as i crashed wearing FULL armour and still damaged my kidneys, lungs, abdomen, ribs and pelvis and severe concussion...so remember although it will save alot of injury and pain it will NOT make you bullet proof. ;)

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Something similar happened to me this weekend at Illinbah. We pulled up in the morning about half an hour early before regostration so I went along to scope out the track. My mum decided she wanted to see what I was going to be riding. (She's never watched me ride before and I've been riding for about 1 year and half now.) While we walked up the track she began telling me that she wasn't going to let me ride. Then I used a few reasons to convince her. they were: professional First aid is at the ready, I am wearing good quality protective gear and I'm experienced.

Then when she watched me come down the track she said it didn't look as bad as she thought. So maybe get your parents to watch you ride your local trail. tell them about how you hit a line in a section of the track, what gear you would pedal into it in and why and how much you brake.(probably best not to tell them that you're supposed to not use brakes)

my 2c

Minical2233

Banned
well said.

wearing armour will save a hell of a lot but not everything, example, im now off the bike for 6 weeks with injury as i crashed wearing FULL armour and still damaged my kidneys, lungs, abdomen, ribs and pelvis and severe concussion...so remember although it will save alot of injury and pain it will NOT make you bullet proof. ;)
Exactly, couldnt say it better lol.

DHDom

Likes Bikes
hey mate if your trying to get your parents to let you race take them to a ride day thats put on by a local club. it will show them how organised and safe the sport is when at races with the medics and the eliete boys and others helping out the younger kids out. i did it to show my mum that it wasnt that unsafe. so shed let me race.

J

JaRedy

negoitate with them. I had the same problem when I wanted to race in the sunshine series at the beginning of the year. (JR hardtail) If you know people who race. get your parents to talk to his/her parents to try to get your parents convinced. assure them that you'll take extreme caution and not go too fast. and If you have a job tell them you'll ay for all repairs (which is what would usually happen anyway)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
tell em if they don't let you spend your money on DH racing, you'll spend it on hookers and cocaine. ask them which they'd prefer.