Product Review ZHIYUN RIDER - M gimbal stabalizer

binner

Hath shat hymself
Item: ZHIYUN RIDER - M gimbal stabalizer
Purchased From: skytech innovations https://www.skytechs.com.au/zhiyun-tech-rider-m.html
Purchase Price (approx): $439.00 free post
Usage: not yet, will be testing and using in BC soon.

Pros - N/A
Cons - N/A

Comments: just unboxed and charging batts

Pictures/Videos: yup

So, here it is. Just a teaser until I get it sorted, calibrated and functioning... will add more to review in the next week and when in Canada..

Attachments

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice one mate! Keen to hear your thoughts!

I just picked up the FT WG2 and am currently testing it also, might post some findings when I've had a chance to give it a good test.

binner

Hath shat hymself
cool stuff

Nice one mate! Keen to hear your thoughts!

I just picked up the FT WG2 and am currently testing it also, might post some findings when I've had a chance to give it a good test.
I looked at that but then got talked into going the rider instead, will be good to see some comparisons and quality, apparently the RIDER has faster, more quiet and less power consumption motors. we shall see :thumb:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I looked at that but then got talked into going the rider instead, will be good to see some comparisons and quality, apparently the RIDER has faster, more quiet and less power consumption motors. we shall see :thumb:
Yeah straight off the bat with the H5B on normal sound mode the tilt motor is noisy. I've just had a go at fixing that, about to go for a street ride with the kids and see if it'd better..

I would have bought the evo ss myself, but they supplied this to me for test/review so keen to give it a crack!

binner

Hath shat hymself
fuzzy

Yeah straight off the bat with the H5B on normal sound mode the tilt motor is noisy. I've just had a go at fixing that, about to go for a street ride with the kids and see if it'd better..

I would have bought the evo ss myself, but they supplied this to me for test/review so keen to give it a crack!
have you used the fluff moustache over yr mic at all, i was watching Seths bike hacks and he swears by it , also BKXC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lap5EYw_W9c

binner

Hath shat hymself
cool stuff

^^^^^^ not bad for first time set up. I see it lost itself a few times but overall thats pretty good unless you are looking for pro quality. Did you find it interfered at all on yr chest while riding?.
Unfortunatly I have packed my rig for Canada and can't get on the trails with my gimble, the best I can do is wear it on my commuter rig and see how it goes, I'll throw in some gutter hops n wheel stands to see how it copes :thumb:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^ not bad for first time set up. I see it lost itself a few times but overall thats pretty good unless you are looking for pro quality. Did you find it interfered at all on yr chest while riding?.
Unfortunatly I have packed my rig for Canada and can't get on the trails with my gimble, the best I can do is wear it on my commuter rig and see how it goes, I'll throw in some gutter hops n wheel stands to see how it copes :thumb:
Not on my bike it didn't. I put it on my mate with his Glory and it got fucked up quite a few times, think I altered the orientation of it though..

Ideate

It's no better than the latest WG2.

I think the common factor is the heavier Hero 5. I never had an issue with the Hero 4 and Session so it's really important to get the Hero 5 balanced and centered.. including placing the lens closest to the gimbal arm. I'm hoping they come out with a new Session 6 that has better quality than the shitty previous version. Then I'll use the Session mount on the WG2 which will be much better.

[video=youtube;hqrbPbsFw5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrbPbsFw5E&t=5s[/video]

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm keen for more feedback on this thing. I've got a Feiyu Tech WGS that I run the session on. I also shoot in 2.7k and use the GoPro stabilisation as well. It gives a super smooth shot but I have noticed a few issues. Firstly the gimbal itself gets in the shot frequently, only for a second or so but it's annoying. The major thing is that my gimbal just shit itself only 4 months in for no reason and DWI who I got it from are being dicks. They won't replace it. I've been on to fair trading and there ain't much they can do as DWI trades out of HK. So as Karma I'm going to shit lip them as much as possible to stop people buying their gear.

So I'm looking at the Rider and the EvoSS.

Also guys I'm going to make a request, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop shooting forwards ALL the time. It is boring as shit. Even with the gimbal it it's still the same shot. Try shooting backwards towards your mate tucked in nice and close behind you. I put the go pro chest mount on my back and mount the gimbal that way. If you then combine both angles in an edit is way more interesting. Check out these links for examples of stuff I've done this way. I know I'm no Senior' Spielbergo but I've got a bit of experience shooting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH4u9FwchpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXZfm-_uZFQ