Zerode Katipo SLS.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The short legged spider. Originally full 29 inch, but I've been playing and trying out different setups for the last one and a half years and have come up with what I like best which is the full 27.5 setup.

More fun and nimble with the little wheels and still loving the gearbox and belt!

Frame - Zerode Katipo, 505.
Headset - Cane Creek 40.
Shock - SR Suntour Voro coil, 525 lb Nukeproof SL spring. 230 X 65 (160mm W. enduro link).
Fork - 29in SR Suntour Durolux RC2, 170mm (590mm A2C).
Stem - Unite splatter, 31mm, 31.8mm clamp.
Handlebars - Chromag Fubars OSX, 800mm, 25mm rise, 5 deg up, 8 deg back.
Grips - Raceface Grippler, 33mm, cut down for the grip shift.
Cranks - Pinion CNC, 165mm.
Pedals - Unite Instinct splatter.
Bottom Bracket / gearing - Pinion C1.12.
Chainring & rear cog - Pinion Gates Carbon Drive, stainless 39t.
Belt - Gates Carbon drive, 122t.
Brakes - TRP DHR Evo.
Rotors - TRP, 203mm, 2.3mm thick.
Wheels - 27.5 Lightbicycle AM730, 30mm internal, 36mm external, 32 hole, on boost Onyx Vesper front and 142mm single speed Onyx Classic rear.
Front Tyre - Maxxis DHR2, 2.6, EXO TR, W. Huck Norris.
Rear Tyre - Maxxis HR2, 2.4, 3C Maxx Terra EXO TR, W. Huck Norris Sandwich.
Shifter - Pinion DS2.
Seat Post Clamp - Unite splatter.
Seat Post - OneUp components 240mm, 31.6mm.
Dropper lever - OneUp components, Ispec II clamp.
Seat - Dartmoor Trail v2.
Weight - 17.35 kg.

To gain a little more clearance I threw on the 165mm CNC cranks and have no issues with bottom bracket height which is pretty much spot on at 340mm, which lost about 8mm from the full 29 setup at 160mm travel up front.

New wheels, suspension and decals all round since the last update. Also fitted some fresh rubber up front and new drivetrain bits.

Attachments

Last edited:

wkkie

How tall are you to run the 505? I’m looking and right between the 475 and 505
I'm 6 foot 2 ish, about 189cm.

I'm running a short stem, 31mm. I would have been happy with a 10mm shorter reach, but the next size down was too small for my liking.

If you're in Victoria and heading to you Youies tomorrow you can check out the size if you like.

poita

Likes Dirt
I'm 6 foot 2 ish, about 189cm.

I'm running a short stem, 31mm. I would have been happy with a 10mm shorter reach, but the next size down was too small for my liking.

If you're in Victoria and heading to you Youies tomorrow you can check out the size if you like.
thanks for the offer, has a trials comp on.

I’m 183 so it sounds like 475 is the go.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be interested to hear your long term review of this and if you got to grips with the gearbox. What do you hate about it?
I have the new bike itch and this ticks a lot of boxes for me.

wkkie

I'd be interested to hear your long term review of this and if you got to grips with the gearbox. What do you hate about it?
I have the new bike itch and this ticks a lot of boxes for me.
The gearbox is no issue at all and the grip shift is handy to change whenever and however many gears you want at a time. Even handy to change in the air sometimes.

Maintenance is minimal which is the best part for me. The gearbox itself is a once a year, 5 minute, 60ml oil change.

The belt seems to wear in and require less love to be silent over time. It's about 450-500km between re application of the silicon spray at the moment.

The belt tensioner can get a little squeaky at times. I'm still running the old / original version which are a known problem at times with noise. There is a fix for it that someone posted on the Zerode page on Facebook, but I haven't had the need to go that far with it at this point. There is a new tensioner out, but no official bash guard with it just yet.

I haven't had the belt slip at all since I've had it and it's been ridden in the wet and bad slop occasionally (unavoidably).

The cables I've had to change twice in the 2 and a bit years, once was my fault because I left a grub screw in the shifter up and it wore through the gear cable. The latest set has lasted a long time so far.

With changing gears, the box does wear in over time and become smoother. The only slight sticking point at times is the change from 8 to 9 and 4 to 5 which is where it changes rows in the box. You have to back off more on those changes, especially going to the easier gears, but like anything, you adapt to it and the timing is second nature now. 100% not the deal breaker that people make it out to be.

I've played with it in all configurations (full 29, mullet, full 27.5, and 140, 150 & 160mm up back) and combinations and finally settled on 27.5 all around with 190 / 150mm travel. That's the sweet spot for me.

The most annoying part is the rear tyre clearance. You can squeeze a 2.5 in there for some makes and models, but 2.4 is the safe spot for rub and clearance.

Overall I'm still really happy with it and it's a great bike.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you notice the extra weight? I suppose it could be considered 'good' (or should that be less bad?) weight being below the COG.
You've got a pretty burly setup, do you think it would be possible to get it to 14kg?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you notice the extra weight? I suppose it could be considered 'good' (or should that be less bad?) weight being below the COG.
You've got a pretty burly setup, do you think it would be possible to get it to 14kg?
I took this for a brief fireroad spin at Youies one day (thanks @wkkie!). Was surprised at how not heavy it felt. Wasn't hardcore XC-whippet light obviously, but felt fine for a burly trailbike. The centralised mass of the gearbox made bunnyhops feel a lot more natural.

wkkie

No. I don't notice the extra weight. I built this thing for reliability and to be fun on the downhills. It gets back up the top, and I'm sure it's faster with the 29 wheels, but I'm not fussed about top speed, fun is the name of the game mostly when I'm riding now.

Pretty sure I've seen this things built up in trail mode around that weight, if not that then very close.

I could probably shave close to 500g with a change of inserts alone. Then change the suspension to air both ends and that takes another chunk of weight off.

I've got a new set of wheels on the way which will probably add a touch more weight all up (Onyx classic up back, Vesper in the front). As it stands at the moment, it's pretty much bang on 17kg.

The only thing I'm thinking about changing, but no deal breaker that's for sure, is going coil up front again. Maybe a Smashpot down the track or another Z1...

wkkie

I've had this for a while now and got a bit of a refresh incoming with wheels, tyres, grips and here's a little sneak peak of the new decals...
received_1081707986564756.jpeg

Coil conversion for the fork is still up there as an option I'd like as well. If Vorsprung did a 190mm conversion for the Zeb, I probably would have done it already.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've had this for a while now and got a bit of a refresh incoming with wheels, tyres, grips and here's a little sneak peak of the new decals...
View attachment 397486

Coil conversion for the fork is still up there as an option I'd like as well. If Vorsprung did a 190mm conversion for the Zeb, I probably would have done it already.
Spider camo - that's pretty mint!

Where'd you get them printed up?

wkkie

Spider camo - that's pretty mint!

Where'd you get them printed up?
Fingers crossed it looks good in person... The idea seemed good in my head at the time!

The design was all done personally, back and forth over Messenger with multiple drafts until it was finalised.

Got the full frame set and a set for the Zeb on the way.

wkkie

Got the full frame set and a set for the Zeb on the way.
Looks like they threw them up on their Instagram...

wkkie

It's overhaul is now complete.

It's got the SR Suntour suspension all round after I put the coil Voro out back with a 525lb Nukeproof SL spring, new front tyre, 2.6 DHR2, new shifter after the old one had a cracked body after a minor crash (this seems to be the most fragile part of the bike).

Also fitted a new belt, stainless cogs / chainrings front and rear and did away with the old noisy tensioner and fitted the new version, Pinion BT1 with a beefed up Zerode JRA bash guard.

All up the changes added about 350g and it's sitting at 17.35 kg.

IMG_20231009_114657_copy_1600x1200.jpgIMG_20231009_114721_copy_1600x1199.jpgIMG_20231009_114826_copy_1566x1175.jpgIMG_20231009_114835_copy_1552x1164.jpgIMG_20231009_114906_copy_1153x1537.jpgIMG_20231009_114925_copy_1212x1617.jpg