You've just won $5,000,000..............what do you do with it?

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
Do nothing for 1 year so I get accustomed to having the money. So still go to work and do everything as usual without touching it.

Then set up a trust to make sure I can't lose it all if I make some bad decisions, sell my current properties, use the trust to buy a few more along with a mix of dividend paying shares.

Use the investment returns to rent wherever I want to live until I get bored then move somewhere else, probably a few years in Tasmania, US, and NZ.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Depends on your stage of life. As someone who is self unemployed I would buy a property for each of the childrens, to give them a head start and get them the fuck out of our house, and buy some small acreage (600 to 1,000 sounds like a thing) in a nice green area 200km or so from home (but it needs to have a mountain or at least a scary decent hill) and put a weekender on there. A few more toys like an RS3 even though I hate VWs and just stick the delta into shares for other times.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
I'd buy some beachfront in Lombok or Sumbawa and build a nice (not extravagant) beach house and trip between Oz and there when it all got too much. Would make sure the kids got a leg up too.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We paid less than the average Melbourne loan deposit for our house and acre. I'd knock down the poor old thing and rebuild where we are. Or we'd move to Tasmania. 50/50 on that one.

I'd then aim to invest the rest to get a decent yearly dividend and open a little bike shop. Won't have to make squillions. Just keep itself operational.

And travel the country. Mrs George isn't keen on international airports so we might see the Stepdaughter and her wife in London once, and the rest domestic.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We paid less than the average Melbourne loan deposit for our house and acre. I'd knock down the poor old thing and rebuild where we are. Or we'd move to Tasmania. 50/50 on that one.

I'd then aim to invest the rest to get a decent yearly dividend and open a little bike shop. Won't have to make squillions. Just keep itself operational.

And travel the country. Mrs George isn't keen on international airports so we might see the Stepdaughter and her wife in London once, and the rest domestic.
Friends bought a farm in the South Burnett. They had a few issues with interwebs on the farm and as they are running a non client visit business they bought a run down Qlder in a nearby town which had been nbn'd. $20,000. Spent about $75,000 fixing it and putting in a decent bathroom next to the master and a nice new kitchen. Still an old Qlder but cheap housing. They stay at either spot depending on what they are doing. I know of someone who just dropped near enough $500k on a new 2 bedroom retirement town house thing. 45 mins from the coast. These two places are at most an hour apart. I know where I would choose.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Friends bought a farm in the South Burnett. They had a few issues with interwebs on the farm and as they are running a non client visit business they bought a run down Qlder in a nearby town which had been nbn'd. $20,000. Spent about $75,000 fixing it and putting in a decent bathroom next to the master and a nice new kitchen. Still an old Qlder but cheap housing. They stay at either spot depending on what they are doing. I know of someone who just dropped near enough $500k on a new 2 bedroom retirement town house thing. 45 mins from the coast. These two places are at most an hour apart. I know where I would choose.
Fucked up thing is the market in town has gone through the roof because 4 bedrooms for $400k is loose change for tree-changing Melbournites.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'd get the boring shit out of the way first and pay out the mortgage, which would only take a
relatively small slice. Put a good chunk aside for each of my nieces to give them a good leg-up as they're blossoming to adulthood. Then play! Get my current project Mini "finished", add a few more toys to the box, and go travelling to remote places.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Do nothing for 1 year so I get accustomed to having the money. So still go to work and do everything as usual without touching it.
I like this idea. Probably what I'd do too.

Sensible version: do all the usual stuff, buy a place outright / pay off mortgage, stay in current profession but not bother with any promotions so I can maintain some sweet work / life balance, help out family members / friends (discreetly), spend a fair chunk of time in the USA / Canada and buy a moderately stupid car. Go to some EWS events.

Less sensible version: Take year off and follow the F1 championship around the world in an orgy of hedonism. Buy a Maloo.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Buy a Maloo

Would not recommend. Neighbour a few years back had one. He got sick of it having such useless clearance. He couldn't get it onto his fairly normal drive way and wold often scrub out just driving around town, and speed humps...just say no. Being a wise fellow he replaced it with a tundra. So there's no shortage of stupid cars!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Realistically? Invest it and create a exceptional income stream so I could retire comfortably. Maybe buy one or two nice things as a treat up front.

Full retard? Buy everything i want and a house that's so stupidly large to keep it all in, then not have enough money left over for upkeep and drown in debt trying to maintain that lifestyle until it all becomes all too much.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd head off for a nice really slow holiday. tour south island of NZ, or the north coast 500 in scotland. maybe 3 months in a less touristy pasrt of thailand. just slow and away from daily pressures to think about how i'd plan a life that didnt revolve around chasing money.

Can someone feed the kids while Im gone?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Would not recommend. Neighbour a few years back had one. He got sick of it having such useless clearance. He couldn't get it onto his fairly normal drive way and wold often scrub out just driving around town, and speed humps...just say no. Being a wise fellow he replaced it with a tundra. So there's no shortage of stupid cars!
put it on bags :D