your favourite rubbers

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
hi guys i was just wondering what tires you guys run for your DH rig and what tires are best suited for surtain conditions and why? im going to get a couple of sets for chrissy so just wondering which ones i should get

thanks alot
marcus

~James~

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ansell, best all rounders in all conditions:)

on downhill bikes though i have heard that minion rear specifics aren't very good but the front ones are awesome.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long is a piece of string?

Depends where you're riding. Minions are good for most conditions but not great everywhere.

WTB timberwolf tyres are good for loose, wet or loamy conditions & the fold-able one is super light.

Intense FRO DH tyres are awesome, can be run at insanely low pressures & are therefore grippy but heavy & expensive.

Nevegals are like the minions, okay but not great.

There's million answers to the question & none are wrong, what sort of riding are you doing & where?

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i heard that intense tyres are prone to flatting...that is why CK had a shit last season?

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
well im getting a soft tail soon so i'm going to get right into the DH seen, i'm all ready doing the vic state series, so basically every where on everything thats why i wanted to get a few sets

fatass

Banned
Maxxis 3C somethings... awwee yeah. Wet screams for super duper gloop? maybe a wet scream front and a minion/highroller/swampthing for back on a semi-gloopy day

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Minions. Run two Dual Ply DHFs, a 40a Slow Reezy up front and a MaxPro 60a on the back. You'll get even wear out of that combo with great traction and handling. Either run two 2.5s or a 2.5/2.35 combo.

The Nevergal/Blue Grooves are a good compound/tread design but as they only come in single ply tend to flat easily on rocky courses.

I've run Intense FRO tyres, both the DH and World Cup in the 4 ply, and they were good but were very heavy and expensive. The new FRO Lite range is the same tyre but in a 2ply version saving weight. Haven't tried these. Not available everywhere.

Bottom line is go with the Minions, reasonably priced, readily available, great performance.

Liam Thomas

Likes Dirt
This is a bit one sided towards Maxxis.
I have been experimenting with a few combos, and i have found that for-

Dry track, loose gravel: Minion F (designed with ramped knobs for low rolling resistance and channel-cut knobs to increase gripping edges, giving straight-line control and precise cornering) for the front, then Highroller (ramped leading edges roll fast, while the side lugs offer stability at speed and a sharp edge to hold corners. The grooved center knobs provide straight-line control) or Minion R (The Minion DHR features ramped knobs, like the DHF, but the channels in the knobs are designed for braking and accelerating) for the rear. The Minion tires were designed for the often loose and muddy conditions of the NORBA downhill series several years ago.

Hard pack: Minion F for the front, Highroller for the rear.

Wettish gravel: Minion F for the front, Minion R for the rear

MUD: well thats a funny one. depends on weather it`s only mud, or clay shit mud that sticks to everything. If its a nice mud, well Wet scream (They are designed to channel mud out of the tire so that the knobs remain being able to still hook in even when there is mud in the tire) for the front and a Minion R for the rear.
The most common size tire used in DH has been 2.5 inch both ends.

The compounds of the tires are a difficult match though.
Usually a softer compound in any conditions works well, but if the tracks are rocky and you are using a softer compound, like a super tacky, they tend to "disintegrate" thats a bit of exaggeration, but you get the message, so often, using a harder compound increases the lifespan of the tire.

Using a softish compound allows the lugs on the tire to "roll" and hook into the dirt, or whatever it is.

So loose rocky stuff, slow reezay 40A compound, harder pack, can stay 40A but may also be better to go 60A Max Pro, wet mud, definitely a soft compound so it can bite.

Sorry about the length.

Just a thought.
Liam

Last edited:

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Intense FRO DH tyres are awesome, can be run at insanely low pressures & are therefore grippy but heavy & expensive.
Intense tyres flat like there's no tomorrow. You'd have to be crazy to run them at all let alone at low pressures.