You Yangs MTB Park

lucco

Likes Dirt
If anyone is from CBD or Bay side areas (South Melb, Port Melb, Albert Park, St. Kilda etc) and drives to the You Yangs regularly let me know. I'm looking for a lift/riding buddy as I don't have a car for a while. Will be happy to pay for petrol etc.

alpha2600

Cannon Fodder
So... a newbie here.
Thinking of taking a trek down to the YouYangs this weekend to check it out. Anyone got any advice on trails to try out?
Also, what is the best place to park?

ADD

Likes Dirt
So... a newbie here.
Thinking of taking a trek down to the YouYangs this weekend to check it out. Anyone got any advice on trails to try out?
All the best trails are easiest accessed from the Drysdale Rd car park.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So... a newbie here.
What's your level of experience & the type of riding you do?

There are two sections at You Yangs, Kurrajong on the western side (enter from the main entry from Branch Rd & follow the signs onto Great Circle Drive & then to "MTB Area"), and Stockyards at the northern end (enter from Drysdale Rd). Kurrajong is relatively flat, fast & flowy with little in the way of techy stuff, which makes a great warm-up ride before getting to the tougher stuff, or you can just hit it hard & go for a speed workout.

Stockyards is more on top of the hills, so there are tracks ranging from quite easy through to full-blown competition level DH tracks. Quarry Pit loop (Track 5) is another good warm up loop. Rockwell Run (4) is a good climbing track as it winds its way progressively up the hill rather less brutally than some others. Lactic Acid (6) is one such track... mostly flowing, but with a couple of rock gardens & steps, this is a moderately technical track, which makes a more challenging climb should you choose to go up it (it's two-way, so be alert for descending riders). Boulder (9) is also two-way, but I've never seen anyone ride up it. This is another moderately technical track, with several rock gardens, drop offs and a rock berm/wall ride that can be very daunting. Trav's Diamond (7?) is the most technical XC track, with long rock gardens & timber berms. GMBC Descent (AKA Turbulence), 7 I think - correction; 10. Thanks dunndog) & Bandages Or Glory (12) are the DH tracks, which I've never ridden, so can't tell you about. But you simply cannot go to Youies & not do Cressy Descent (13). It'll cater to just about all bikes. Fast & flowy with some rock gardens for XC, bigger jumpy bits for the more aggro riders, and good b-lines around them for the short-travel riders.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Great summary Ducky! FYI, GMBC Descent is now called Turbulence, and has always been track 10. Kaaa-chooow! -(Lightning McQueen)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Great summary Ducky! FYI, GMBC Descent is now called Turbulence, and has always been track 10. Kaaa-chooow! -(Lightning McQueen)
Thanks for the correction. :smile: So Trav's is 7 then? The two cross over a bit at the top, I think I got my numbers crossed accordingly. :embarassed:

Howie66

Likes Dirt
I see a lot of people use the start of 10, then dart off to the left onto 7

I guess it saves having to do the uphill bits at the very start of 7..

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'll be at the Drysdale rd car park at midday tomorrow if anyone else is headed out.