You laugh you lose

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've always thought the uphill rider should yield. The rider etiquette rule was put together decades ago when heading down any single track at any real speed was virtually impossible due to crappy, suspension, brakes and frame combined with old school trail design so it wasn't as big a deal to stop and the mountain biking superiority was focused on how good you could grind, so heaven forbid you have to stop on a climb!
These days when you are blasting down a trail at mark4 and you haven't a hope of seeing someone coming the other way to stop in time, let alone hear them but the person climbing will hear those Minions slapping the berms above them for about 5min before they get there :p

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've always thought the uphill rider should yield. The rider etiquette rule was put together decades ago when heading down any single track at any real speed was virtually impossible due to crappy, suspension, brakes and frame combined with old school trail design so it wasn't as big a deal to stop and the mountain biking superiority was focused on how good you could grind, so heaven forbid you have to stop on a climb!
These days when you are blasting down a trail at mark4 and you haven't a hope of seeing someone coming the other way to stop in time, let alone hear them but the person climbing will hear those Minions slapping the berms above them for about 5min before they get there :p
It was originally adapted from walking trails in Europe, everything should be directional on high use trails these days to avoid conflict.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I always thought it was about how hard it is to get going again when you're pointing up rather than down.