You know you're getting old when ...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
at least in the 80s you were allowed to jump into the pool from more than 7cm high. you could go off the 10m platform if wanted. now you cant even get up on the diving blocks and the three pools that had towers around here have all had them removed. and the music was so much better

It is a tragedy. Our local ocean baths had a diving board that was a pivotal part of being me...right up until they pulled it put when I was around 30. A fucking travesty.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
It is a tragedy. Our local ocean baths had a diving board that was a pivotal part of being me...right up until they pulled it put when I was around 30. A fucking travesty.
My young fella had his birthday at a new indoor swimming complex a week ago.. They got told off for diving into the deep end of the 50m pool. They weren't even using the diving blocks. I asked the lifeguard what the go was and rules are you can only go in feet first, pin drop or cannonball. Fuck we used to jump from the top of the slides (been removed for a while now) at our old local pool. I remember a kid broke his leg as he slipped and didn't reach the water. If I was to be young again, take me back to the 80's as well!

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
This is why my pool has a no bomb no swim policy, bloody fun police at pools. My young fella figured it out tho, when he decides he's going home he does flips / bombs etc off the diving platforms / boards and when he gets asked to leave that's OK as he was going anyway. Proud Dad moment when he told me that.

slowmick

38-39"
A mate runs a number of aquatic centres and is gutted by the safety rules @ public pools. He gets mountains of grief that the centres don't get young people through the doors. He argues that unless you can do dumb shit with your mates no young are going to have any interest in going to the pool with their mates. No one ever went the pool with their mates and sawm laps. It all falls on deaf ears. Lifesaving Victoria has our best interests at heart. No one gets hurt but no one has fun either.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
This is why my pool has a no bomb no swim policy, bloody fun police at pools. My young fella figured it out tho, when he decides he's going home he does flips / bombs etc off the diving platforms / boards and when he gets asked to leave that's OK as he was going anyway. Proud Dad moment when he told me that.
No swim policy?
So you carefully enter feet first.. and then just stand there and wiggle? (if that's allowed)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A mate runs a number of aquatic centres and is gutted by the safety rules @ public pools. He gets mountains of grief that the centres don't get young people through the doors. He argues that unless you can do dumb shit with your mates no young are going to have any interest in going to the pool with their mates. No one ever went the pool with their mates and sawm laps. It all falls on deaf ears. Lifesaving Victoria has our best interests at heart. No one gets hurt but no one has fun either.
You wonder where the crossover point is don't you? Like - if no-one's going to the pool because it's not fun (and fun with the safety-net of it being a supervised setting), then they don't learn to swim and are more at risk later in life or unsupervised settings.

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You wonder where the crossover point is don't you? Like - if no-one's going to the pool because it's not fun (and fun with the safety-net of it being a supervised setting), then they don't learn to swim and are more at risk later in life or unsupervised settings.
This was mentioned on the radio (RRR) this morning. Largest number of summer drownings since records started being kept properly in 2000. Lifesaving Vic hasn't had a funding increase in over a decade and has a huge backlog of people who are asking for swimming lessons. Apparently they'd need to almost double their staff in order to get things sorted

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No one ever went the pool with their mates and sawm laps
they dont even make it easy to swim laps, never seen them tell anyone off for goofing around in a lap lane, or call out the dickhead with fins on causing issues in the slow lanes.

kid has done well with his lessons, made it to regional swimming this year, but since the pool he trains at is 25m only 1.2 deep cant really practice diving. Go to the olympic pools you cant even stand on the block with their little triangle covers. maybe they could practice in the old diving pool, now with no tower, surely no one can hit their head on the floor of a 3m deep pool. nope, not allowed in there. poor kid losing a good couple of body lengths since you need to be in lessons at those pools with block to ever be allowed to try