Yarra Trails regulars

Planned ride away went to tits. Thankfully it was an absolute pearler on the (southern) YTs yesterday.

[video=youtube;PqGORNYui4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGORNYui4U[/video]

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Planned ride away went to tits. Thankfully it was an absolute pearler on the (southern) YTs yesterday.

[video=youtube;PqGORNYui4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGORNYui4U[/video]
Great video Nath. Is it weird that none of this looks familiar even though I've ridden it a billion times ? Haha.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Vid

Great video. That pretty much is my after work ride. Funny I must ride at strange times as I rarely see other riders besides the roadies. I normally start at the pump track and then the teardrop the towards Fairfeild boat house.
Always fancied shooting a small vid there but you have set the standard high. Well done

Markee

Likes Dirt
Another great video Nath. I think we should all get together for a send off ride with you before you head north for the Winter. As sort of a huge thank you for all the work you've put into the southern network of the trails.
Anyone else keen?

Everything has a cycle. It's been a 15yr love affair with the southern YTs that has been shared with many a fellow trail gnome over the years & I'm definitely going to miss it when I move back to S.E. QLD in August. Nothing quite like being able to roll out the door & be on the trail within minutes. Being able to access the southern YTs has dictated where I've lived in Melbourne ever since moving down here from Brisbane in 2000, but the time's come to pass on the shovel to the next willing & able gnomes. Hopefully there'll be a few level-headed & proactive long-termers, be it local RBers/riders or like-minded people, who will continue to give the southern trails the good lovin' she needs, & continue to keep the dream alive of eventually establishing a legal mtb/mixed use trail network in partnership with PV. At the risk of it sounding like an bloody obituary, I'm thankful for the times shared on the YTs because it's given me many great friendships (riders, burners & people within the Friends of Merri Ck/Friends of the Yarra group & ParksVic) from the blood, sweat & good times the trails have delivered over the years.

Had planned on trying to organise another social ride (similar to last time) before I head off, primarily so a few of you can connect outside of RB land.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everything has a cycle. It's been a 15yr love affair with the southern YTs that has been shared with many a fellow trail gnome over the years & I'm definitely going to miss it when I move back to S.E. QLD in August. Nothing quite like being able to roll out the door & be on the trail within minutes. Being able to access the southern YTs has dictated where I've lived in Melbourne ever since moving down here from Brisbane in 2000, but the time's come to pass on the shovel to the next willing & able gnomes. Hopefully there'll be a few level-headed & proactive long-termers, be it local RBers/riders or like-minded people, who will continue to give the southern trails the good lovin' she needs, & continue to keep the dream alive of eventually establishing a legal mtb/mixed use trail network in partnership with PV. At the risk of it sounding like an bloody obituary, I'm thankful for the times shared on the YTs because it's given me many great friendships (riders, burners & people within the Friends of Merri Ck/Friends of the Yarra group & ParksVic) from the blood, sweat & good times the trails have delivered over the years.

Had planned on trying to organise another social ride (similar to last time) before I head off, primarily so a few of you can connect outside of RB land.
good luck, good on you for all of your work, know the feeling of the YTs one of the few things that keeps me in melbourne - where-ever you go you'll find the YTs vibe on sections of single track; if you look hard enough YTs has it all and everywhere else is a repeat I reckon.

maybe leave some trail notes on here, could be handy for future reference.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That's a great vid Nath and some nice riding too. Makes me think I've been neglecting the Southern Trails, I need to get out there more!!!

All the best with your move mate. I only met you a couple of times I think but have loved your contribution to this space and the trails.

Happy hunting!

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Yep top edit Shakes. Rode there today particularly the ones around the old pumping station I was so inspired. You make some of those trails look very easy. Kudos. I'd be keen on a send off ride and I'll keep an eye out on the trails ( and pump track) for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good luck, good on you for all of your work, know the feeling of the YTs one of the few things that keeps me in melbourne - where-ever you go you'll find the YTs vibe on sections of single track; if you look hard enough YTs has it all and everywhere else is a repeat I reckon.
Thanks MTB101. It's very true, the YTs has great variety to it & there's plenty to challenge all levels of rider. I think we largely take the old girl for granted- there are so many great variations of trail to be ridden out there. Thankfully, where I'm moving to also has a pretty decent scene & trail association on the go so I'm looking forward to familiarising myself with it & the local club. While the local network up there mightn't quite be on my doorstep like the YTs are, I will be on 6ha of undulating land (resplendent with year-round running creek) so you can be guaranteed the pump track I've got in mind is going to be bigger than the one I built in Studley Park:peace:

That's a great vid Nath and some nice riding too. Makes me think I've been neglecting the Southern Trails, I need to get out there more!!!

All the best with your move mate. I only met you a couple of times I think but have loved your contribution to this space and the trails.

Happy hunting!
Cheers Coaster. Yep, been a couple of trail-side chats & many a cheery 'hello' with you. Definitely get in there more often- plenty of fun & tech gems to be had. Will naturally pop my head back into the thread from time to time to see what's going on.

Yep top edit Shakes. Rode there today particularly the ones around the old pumping station I was so inspired. You make some of those trails look very easy. Kudos. I'd be keen on a send off ride and I'll keep an eye out on the trails ( and pump track) for you
Haha, it's the local knowledge I swear! Thanks though Charlie. You & the fam might just have to swap Byron for the Sunshine Coast one of these years & come visit:eyebrows: Either way I'll send you details thru FB on a little tootaloo soiree (mtb theme) but, yes, it'd be good to get in a roll with you before I take off (promise I won't repeat puncture next time).

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Likewise Shakes- much respect, thanks and fond farewells.

May your trail rake always be true.

Catch up soon

Byron- that will be tough mate

Likewise Shakes- much respect, thanks and fond farewells.

May your trail rake always be true.

Catch up soon

Byron- that will be tough mate
Cheers BigJD. Likewise mate.
Am actually moving up to the Sunshine Coast but, yes, am looking forward to moving back to the motherland & the warmer climes.

Just saw this from one of the guys on the Plenty Gorge facebook page. State MP for Eltham hosting a cycling forum.
Would probably be good to have an MTB presence.

http://www.vickiward.org.au/news/local-cycling-forum-10-may-2016/
Hopefully there are a few mtbers who attend!

Absolutely bucketing down with rain out there! First proper sustained downpour in what seems like a while.
Might have to throw the boots on & go for a recce around the Fairfield boathouse later on. Will be interested to see how the trail between the Pipebridge & the Eastern Fwy (towards bat colony) holds up with the deluge as there are a couple of problematic spots that were particularly bad last winter after prolonged or heavy rainfall.

slowmick

38-39"
Hopefully there are a few mtbers who attend!

Absolutely bucketing down with rain out there! First proper sustained downpour in what seems like a while.
Might have to throw the boots on & go for a recce around the Fairfield boathouse later on. Will be interested to see how the trail between the Pipebridge & the Eastern Fwy (towards bat colony) holds up with the deluge as there are a couple of problematic spots that were particularly bad last winter after prolonged or heavy rainfall.
Trail gnome to the last moment. awesome work bloke. :thumb: