Yarra Trails regulars

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, that'll be all unauthorised work. We don't use logs like that and are forever removing obstacles from the trail. Unauthorised trail activities are an never ending problem.

That section of trail is a signature piece of trail and part of the character of the area so it will always be managed as a challenging piece for all. It's pretty good from either direction.

People performing authorised trail work will always be wearing a Parks high visibility vest.

Hope that helps.
Isn't that gully where a rare orchid is or something? I haven't ridden down there since GSB went in because of that.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Isn't that gully where a rare orchid is or something? I haven't ridden down there since GSB went in because of that.
My apologies Casnell. I had Rocky Chute pictured.

Regardless, the section you refer to was tagged to be closed by Parks some years ago and that has always been their responsibility to perform the physical closure and prominent notification. None of us has the authority to close off that trail. We're looking at keeping it open anyway with a detailed environmental report on that slope. I'd be disappointed if we had mountain bikers trying to close off trail. We should never drag logs or rocks onto the trail.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
went for a spin last night and found the council have started to make a gravel path along the nice bit of single track just after you pop out from the first pipe bridge section. Just after the chandler highway bridge. Such a dumb place to have a path, it does not go anywhere and now is basically not ridable. They have flattened out all the nice limps and bumps.

Hopefully they stop there and don't go any further.

russ

went for a spin last night and found the council have started to make a gravel path along the nice bit of single track just after you pop out from the first pipe bridge section. Just after the chandler highway bridge. Such a dumb place to have a path, it does not go anywhere and now is basically not ridable. They have flattened out all the nice limps and bumps.

Hopefully they stop there and don't go any further.

russ
Yep. Council, PV, Melb Water & BPGS have done next to nothing in the area for 15+yrs & now the powers that be have decided to appropriate that nice little bit of singletrack that has been etched in through yrs of mtbing. Serenity now.
[video=youtube;068AFYvd58E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068AFYvd58E[/video]

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes saw that new path just past chandler, not so bad as once done ... we'll find a nice little line along edge to put our wheels on.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
What is the point
The paved main Yarra trail is 20 meters away. I imagine the construction company responsible for the pipeline were asked to beautify the area

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt

I can't see the point either. Might have to berm up all the corners and put some features in when they're done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hello powers that be building this lilydale topping footpath over a trail that had been in existence whilst you were still at primary, lilydale type toppings enormously reduce the ability to gain tyre traction.

If you had maintained a log of erosion measure over the last 20 years you would see f*** all degradation along that area.

Thank you for nothing and in your heads for any kids that drop their bikes, lose skin purely because of your actions. The powers that be do not provide maintenance in this area, you have done SFA over these years. If you wish to discuss pm me PV, Council, MW or whoever has laid this rubbish.

Lack of consultation delivers such stupidity.

As the saying goes, a little bit of information in the wrong hands is dangerous, just because you have PV or whatever on the side of your trucks doesn't mean you know what you're doing, and you clearly don't.

Very disappointing.

I feel better now.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Ok, so I was all like "wtf are they doing, they've fucked it, blah blah blah"
But now I'm thinking maybe they are trying to improve the bike path network? It probably won't be a mtb ST but maybe they are trying to improve the ride-ability of the YT so riders heading west don't have to climb the stairs. Or ride up the stairs if your name ends in Van De Ploeg

But now I'm thinking maybe they are trying to improve the bike path network? It probably won't be a mtb ST but maybe they are trying to improve the ride-ability of the YT so riders heading west don't have to climb the stairs. Or ride up the stairs if your name ends in Van De Ploeg
Fuck, I bloody well hope not. It'd mean the butchering of the ST between the Chandler & Pipe Bridge/Fairfield Boathouse. Either way the stairs is the only opt for average-Joe commuter...for now. This new gravel path has definitely been made with pedestrians being the principle user in mind, but no doubt the CX riders will 'lurve' the new addition.

I don't think so as it has no real connection to the top of the other path. It just kind of ends up in no mans land.
Not yet it doesn't, but going back towards Ivanhoe, once the cycleway/bridge from Darebin Ck is linked over to the main Yarra Trail it probably will. Broader "beautification" works for the area I imagine. This latest piece of appropriation might be part of the infrastructure upgrade for the cycle path. Bring on some major flooding to wash it all away I say.

Rode past for a gander yesterday & it's pretty sad to see it's simply been swallowed up. Savages.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The dumb part is anything done now is only temporary as a new Chandler hwy bridge will go in soon. 20 years too late.
And if this well overdue project goes ahead through Ivanhoe above ground, rather than tunnelled (which it should be);
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/mis...-on-the-political-agenda-20160428-gohjo9.html
then it will go straight through Bruce's... Probably not destroy the ST in the area but god knows what "beautification" underneath could occur.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who are you?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
With the riverside ST just upstream of Chandler being turned into a f’ing walking path (I’m going to miss those slightly bermed bends) is everyone going to “rejuvenate” the ST behind the dogs home? The last part is covered in tan bark but it is still there and getting some use.