Yarra Trails regulars

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is with the new ST in Hans which exits the current ST halfway up the front switchbacks and then re-joins just after the top - kids? There also appears to be a new bit of track exiting off the back switchbacks (just before that little pinch with the rock armouring).
The first is very old track that seems to be getting a bit of recent use, and the second is roo track that goes nowhere useful.

And by "pruning" JD means just please remove a bit of branch that whacks you in the face. If every time people rode they just did that the trails would be much nicer without someone having to give up 3 hours of secateur time and a handful of blisters.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
think you went the wrong way. you needed to get to beasley's nursery via main yarra trail first, so continuing past petty's orchard etc, just following the bike path.

then when you get to beasleys you'd do a hard left up side dirt road (so going back) and follow it all the way to the power line climbs ... through gap in fence. from there you'd descend down the service road (with otb water bars) and you'd pick up some very nice single track that goes around following river. pretty fast great riding. finally with the farm house on your left you'd exit out carrying the bike over gate/bridge and back onto main yarra trail, of course there's single track above the trail for us to take - up to pettys orchard.

(this way gives you a good climbing workout - if you're keen you'd descend the water bar service road and go up from other side phrrrrrroow hard
Cheers 101, yeah i went arse about going up the water bar service road. It's steep but managable in granny. I decended to the right of the gate (west) and just followed some moto tracks back down then followed the river back to the gate at the farm house near the yarra trail.
101 & Big AC So where is this wall climb in relation to the water bar service road, east or west? Also is the mullum mullum creek got st worth heading out for?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
There used to be a small piece of ST from the top of the hillclimb / wall to the bottom, not sure if it is still there. The hillclimb / wall is the serious climb which MTB is talking about.

There is an even steeper fire road climb (steeper than powerline climb / not as steep as the wall) a little further out behind Currawong Bush Park, seriously loose, rutted, and steep.

What is with the new ST in Hans which exits the current ST halfway up the front switchbacks and then re-joins just after the top - kids? There also appears to be a new bit of track exiting off the back switchbacks (just before that little pinch with the rock armouring).
First is nothing but the second heads around the switchback hill and around the top dam/ lake. There is nothing substantial -only roo tracks on the other side but it is a wonderful spot teaming with wildlife and lots of elevation. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some sensitive environmental considerations down near the dam (orchids). Hopeful the local club can open up this area and the plantation on the right as you enter Candlebark along the main trail.
At the very top over looking the plantation there is a huge tree (looks like a wearing willow) where the resident monster male takes his ladies for a romp. Well I would - it's really romantic

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First is nothing but the second heads around the switchback hill and around the top dam/ lake. There is nothing substantial -only roo tracks on the other side but it is a wonderful spot teaming with wildlife and lots of elevation. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some sensitive environmental considerations down near the dam (orchids). Hopeful the local club can open up this area and the plantation on the right as you enter Candlebark along the main trail.
At the very top over looking the plantation there is a huge tree (looks like a wearing willow) where the resident monster male takes his ladies for a romp. Well I would - it's really romantic
That area plus the plantation have been a "work in progress" for years. It would be great to see but probably not in my lifetime.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw the parks Vic ranger cleaning up area near the rehab, lookout chair area on boullie this week. In the bowl area. Looks like a dance party has left a teepee structure and some rubbish, boxes and Xmas decorations.

Made me think how good us riders are compared to these tools who just piss off and leave mess for others.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw the parks Vic ranger cleaning up area near the rehab, lookout chair area on boullie this week. In the bowl area. Looks like a dance party has left a teepee structure and some rubbish, boxes and Xmas decorations.

Made me think how good us riders are compared to these tools who just piss off and leave mess for others.
Absolutely! I've seen the aftermath of a doof-doof party near Annulus and it was such a mess. Not to mention the undies/condoms/tissues we see all the time in there.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
101 & Big AC So where is this wall climb in relation to the water bar service road, east or west? Also is the mullum mullum creek got st worth heading out for?
Put Arlunya Place Templestowe into Google maps, the loop off the western end is the wall. If you enter via the track coming in from the south (which joins the main Yarra trail) then to ride the loop clockwise to get to the steep part (after the top the remainder loop isn’t complete anymore but there is some ST back down). Various people have told me that it is the steepest ‘road’ (its old bitumen) in Melbourne / Victoria / Australia / the southern hemisphere / the world / the universe, I’m not sure where it actually fits in the pantheon of steepness; however, it’s steep.

From google maps you can see how to connect up the wall with the powerline climb / descent via some rods and paths (powerline climb is on the end of Target Road).

There is ST / trails all the way up the Mullum Mullum creek until you reach the Koonung Bike path.

The fireroad climb which harder than powerline is part of a track call Orchard Grove out the back of Currawong Bush Park / the Caravan Park (it’s the part just before the track turns to run east / west). Jathanas claims to have conquered it on an SS which is just insane (I know you’re lurking Jim). Bottom line: it’s loose, rutted, and F’ing steep.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I have been up said track and I doubted the logic of 1x drive trains whilst cursing. Kudos to Jathanas or any single speeder or fat bike rider

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put Arlunya Place Templestowe into Google maps, the loop off the western end is the wall. If you enter via the track coming in from the south (which joins the main Yarra trail) then to ride the loop clockwise to get to the steep part (after the top the remainder loop isn’t complete anymore but there is some ST back down). Various people have told me that it is the steepest ‘road’ (its old bitumen) in Melbourne / Victoria / Australia / the southern hemisphere / the world / the universe, I’m not sure where it actually fits in the pantheon of steepness; however, it’s steep.

From google maps you can see how to connect up the wall with the powerline climb / descent via some rods and paths (powerline climb is on the end of Target Road).

There is ST / trails all the way up the Mullum Mullum creek until you reach the Koonung Bike path.

The fireroad climb which harder than powerline is part of a track call Orchard Grove out the back of Currawong Bush Park / the Caravan Park (it’s the part just before the track turns to run east / west). Jathanas claims to have conquered it on an SS which is just insane (I know you’re lurking Jim). Bottom line: it’s loose, rutted, and F’ing steep.
Thanks Big AC will check those climbs and st once things dry out.

Beej1

I have been up said track and I doubted the logic of 1x drive trains whilst cursing. Kudos to Jathanas or any single speeder or fat bike rider
I used to be able to get up it in the granny gear when my Nomad was 2x. Haven't tried it since 1x with the 42t extra cog. Though if I can't make it I could partially attribute extra body weight, general lack of fitness/sleep/motivation, general softness overall...

The trails around the boathouses are in great nick at the moment. Given the beautiful start to the day there were already quite a few walker out & about. Plenty of smiles, hellos & good vibes though. The rain thru the week did a great job of setting down a couple of the super dusty & loose spots around the Studley Park area. Last winter's remediation work between the pipe bridge & the Chandler continues to do a great job at keeping the trail free of standing water, though I've no doubt the lower 100m of trail at the Chandler entry will have its signature bog holes within a couple of months- such a bugger the trail was built through that trough/flat area vs 4m closer to the hill-slope on slightly higher ground.

Noticed more & more foot traffic also using the section of trail along the Eastern Fwy (behind the Guide Dogs centre). Came up behind a group of 5 trail runners during the week- thankfully the Hope hub does wonders at alerting other users to your presence! They scattered like a cat thrown among the pigeons, despite me still being 15-20m behind them & slowing. All were super cool & apologetic for "being in the road", which made me realise that going by how far they'd literally leapt off the trail then they too have had their fair share of near misses on the YTs.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Very sticky out there right now. I havent ridden for weeks but still set a bucket of PR's. Its great out there right now. Ride it before it become mud for the next couple of months.

Enjoy.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
beautiful ride yesterday around boulie dirt single track, stopped at lookout chair and cleaned up bottles, cans, this is what happens when they close access to area/s the dregs take over and trash it. good old parks vic managment, just fence it off to all except dregs. now ranger has twice the work to manage dooh.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Burke to Studley park and the ST is in great shape. There were plenty of people out, even two CXers riding up the ST next to the trail which runs from the Boulie down towards the river a bit upstream of the Studley Park Boathouse (the trail with the small drop and short steep chute) – brave and hope they had a spare tube for all the rocks.

I don’t know if the tacker had been out but there were a few roadies changing tyres on the Boulie.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode Woodend today for the first time in about a year. So good. All the work done has really improved the trails. Rode a few new trails- so stoked. I love these trails

Thanks to all concerned.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the chance to ride Hans and beyond yesterday afternoon. Very dry and dusty, you'd have never thought we had all that rain a little while ago. Managed to donate some skin when I lost the front wheel on one of the rocky dusty switchbacks at the very back. Such a muppet.

It was great to be out there. Millions of kangaroos around and thankfully no moving sticks. Ended up have a nice 20km odd ride after a few weeks off the bike. God I love my Epic!

Big AC

Likes Dirt
A question of the Hans trail crew, are the branches placed across the trail at the very top of the section which heads across the fire road and straight down the gully meant to be an official “cease and desist order” on that part of the trail (you’ll need a lot more logs if the answer is yes)? Whilst there is clearly some erosion on the way down the side of the gully that part of the trail is one of the best bits.

The rest of the YTs are in great shape after the rain, get out there peeps before winter sets in…… actually, on second thoughts, stay at home as it was peak hour between pipe bridge and bell bird yesterday (even two grannies on foldable bikes with their shopping –WTF?).

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
A question of the Hans trail crew, are the branches placed across the trail at the very top of the section which heads across the fire road and straight down the gully meant to be an official “cease and desist order” on that part of the trail (you’ll need a lot more logs if the answer is yes)? Whilst there is clearly some erosion on the way down the side of the gully that part of the trail is one of the best bits.
No, that'll be all unauthorised work. We don't use logs like that and are forever removing obstacles from the trail. Unauthorised trail activities are an never ending problem.

That section of trail is a signature piece of trail and part of the character of the area so it will always be managed as a challenging piece for all. It's pretty good from either direction.

People performing authorised trail work will always be wearing a Parks high visibility vest.

Hope that helps.