Yarra Trails regulars

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Touch wood. Ive never seen one at the Kew end.

The other week i was behind a mate at lysterfield when the loose branches exploded next to his back wheel. I thought it was a tiger so i stopped to look. Biggest bloody blue tongue ive seen with a stripped tail.

Got the blood pumping though.

Enjoy your riding, summer is almost done.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,
First post here, i have been riding for many years on the yarra trails and have been reading this thread on and off for a bit.
Thought i would finally jump in and comment on the amount of snakes this year, it's bloody isane. Came to a skidding stop on two consecutive rides dodge tiger snakes one near the wind mill near rosanna golf course and a huge one on the yarra trail just over the bridge going into Westerfolds parklands.. The tiger near the windmill was the stuff of nightmares.. Was taking it easyish through the long grass area watching out for one when this 1m tiger shoots straight out of the grass just infront of me. I locked it up and lifted the legs up hoping it wouldn't strike, stopped with the front wheel just touching it.. Scared the shit out of both of us and it pissed off real quick, luckly as i lost balance.. Now i'm spooked, I'm not riding through there until things cool off.. Bugger that. I am lucky to see one every few years but this season 5 already.. Never seen one at Hans though, heaps a Plenty Gorge though..

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Welcome aboard mate

Yes they put the willies up you don't they. I'm busy looking for snakes and oncoming riders- it's exhausting doing three things at once- for a bloke.

Three days riding on Buller and three copperheads- I have become a snake magnet

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,
First post here, i have been riding for many years on the yarra trails and have been reading this thread on and off for a bit.
Thought i would finally jump in and comment on the amount of snakes this year, it's bloody isane. Came to a skidding stop on two consecutive rides dodge tiger snakes one near the wind mill near rosanna golf course and a huge one on the yarra trail just over the bridge going into Westerfolds parklands.. The tiger near the windmill was the stuff of nightmares.. Was taking it easyish through the long grass area watching out for one when this 1m tiger shoots straight out of the grass just infront of me. I locked it up and lifted the legs up hoping it wouldn't strike, stopped with the front wheel just touching it.. Scared the shit out of both of us and it pissed off real quick, luckly as i lost balance.. Now i'm spooked, I'm not riding through there until things cool off.. Bugger that. I am lucky to see one every few years but this season 5 already.. Never seen one at Hans though, heaps a Plenty Gorge though..
I've heard of riders panicking and falling onto snake on their sudden stop, the chance of one striking you as you move by would be rare, different story if you're stopped near it. I've bunny hopped a few and gone past a few others no problems, snake has had half the single track. they don't see well so reliant on ground vibration and smell, we come up too quick for them to be ready to strike. we are not their prey, only way they'll bite is if we're dum enough to pat snake or fall on it.

so just ride with a bit in reserve for snakes, wombats, kangaroos and on coming riders - you have nothing to fear.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Big JD, yeah in the past they didn't worry me.. but after a few close calls i do have the willies!

Mtb101,
I do usually hop/go around them when needed (if I am going quick enough) but in this situation I was going too slow.. Running over it would have been more dangerous than braking.
I grew up in the bush and we had plenty of snakes on the block & around the house. Generally yeah they won't bother you unless you step on them or corner them.
Our cat used to drag smaller ones home and fight them. They really don't strike until they have had the sht provoked out of them. Our cat had a perfect undefeated KO record...

Back on topic, the trails will be great in a day or so after this rain. Big thanks to the everyone who put work in before winter (and ongoing) they are the best I have seen in 7 years. I don't have a clue about trail building but i do clear anything i can manage when out and about.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good one. yep this week will be perfect grip along yarra trails, like riding across icing on a perfectly baked chocolate cake. enjoy,.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pulled up last night on the freeway single track section of track a large tree fallen across track with a bit still attached. got off bike and with special powers ripped it off track, it tore away beautifully with help of gravity, sometimes these big fellas come down. good core workout as part of ride.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a quick spin today. Man the trails are good. I'm struggling a bit this year, low km's to date, bit of weight on over Xmas and feeling pretty unfit but the trails today had me getting back into it.

Agree with you JD about yours and others hard work paying off. The stuff Charlie has done in Brucie's loop has settled really well and are a big plus . The previous berms would have been pretty shitty.(nice one Charlie, the proof is in the pudding). All the cleaning up has held up really well and when you ride you can clearly see what was and was not done.

Nice one gents.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know I said earlier that I was avoiding the trails near the windmill but I thought I would give it another bash.. Sure enough this fella was enjoying the late arvo sun. The bugger had very little interest moving on, so I choose to.
Pardon the crap photo, hard with gloves on.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Wow it's a long one- pale and stripy

Thanks for that- I was just about to head out

Coaster- you are most welcome and thanks for the feedback. It has been enlightening to see what a few people can achieve- good for mind - body and soul. Snakes are getting to me ATM- it's worrying working in some areas (long grass and thick scrub). They are literally everywhere along the Yarra

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow it's a long one- pale and stripy

Snakes are getting to me ATM- it's worrying working in some areas (long grass and thick scrub). They are literally everywhere along the Yarra
Tell me about it JD, I was taking my young boys down the trails for a bit fun before summer.. But no fking way are they going along there ATM.
I would seriously pack jeans/boots if you are going off the trail!
The snake i posted above was like yours earlier, it was king dick and not going move. What appears concerning is the big ones are holding their ground rather than shooting off at the first sign of a person. This one finally moved after some long distance "encouragement" (which had to be done as there were a few riders out).. Even then it only moved to the very edge of the undergrowth, you could still see it from the trail edge...
Everyone needs to careful out there, you don't want to have an off into the grass or scrub.. Other than that the trails are very nice ATM!

Last edited:

cracker

Likes Dirt
i would honestly think they would try and avoid you if your bashing about, moving dirt or cleaning trees, id be surprised if they'd approached you? i maybe wrong... ? most people getting bitten because they step on them walking along, not from the snake hunting people down.

have too agree about the trails it held together really well, near rosanna golf course its still great !

big gags

Likes Bikes
Was talking to a mate of mine who lives in Wattle Glen. He had a tiger snake that was hanging around near the front door so he called a local snake catcher to remove it for him. The guy apparently bashed around a couple of bushes with a window squidgee of all things and then located the snake and just picked it up!! He put it away in a sack and put it in the car and when my mate asked him what he does with them he said that he releases them out at Candlebark and he advised not to go walking your dog out there off the lead!!! Might explain why there seem to be a lot of snakes out that way!!

Gags