Yarra Trails regulars

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate, looks like I did do some kind of varient lol. But also seems I did it backwards :(
Will have to take a map with me next time.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Thanks mate, looks like I did do some kind of varient lol. But also seems I did it backwards :(
Will have to take a map with me next time.

That's pretty much all the "original". Some sections have been closed off and others added (but is longer overall) since it was first designed and built by Hans and his crew.

He designed it for counterclockwise direction of travel.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode YTs first time in a month this morning. Trails are just fine. A little pruning required around The Somme and Odyssey loop. If people could please do a bit each ride it will be sorted. It's just the stuff at head/ face height that is problematic

I ran into Lynn- the owl lady and chatted about the powerful owls along the river. She is very concerned that so many know where their nests are large groups of bird watches are disturbing them. If you know where they are please don't approach the bottom of their trees- just look from the track. She has been walking the area around Heidelberg for 20 years and MTBers don't bother her at all. She said that nearly everyone slows down, let her know and says hello. She commented on the state of the trails - best they have been in 15 years. If you see her please stop for a chat- she is a wealth of knowledge

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Had a very close shave with I think a tiger snake in the middle of Annulus on Saturday (yellow-belly black); stopped with him a foot in front of the bike, and he reared up, ready to strike, before vanishing. Almost had a heart attack..... :mmph: Then 50m on, about to exit Annulus uphill, almost ran over a stumpy, which compounded the almost heart attack into a near melt-down....

No idea why you'd want to perform off-track extra-curricular activities in that area, with native inhabitants like that around...

redbruce

Eats Squid
Had a very close shave with I think a tiger snake in the middle of Annulus on Saturday (yellow-belly black); stopped with him a foot in front of the bike, and he reared up, ready to strike, before vanishing. Almost had a heart attack..... :mmph: Then 50m on, about to exit Annulus uphill, almost ran over a stumpy, which compounded the almost heart attack into a near melt-down....
Have seen a couple of stumpy's mid track on the YT's over the last couple of weeks (Westerfolds area).

Saw nice juvenile Tiger (dark wityh pale/yellow belly)at Candlebark this morning sunning itself just off track (grassland under power lines).

Tried to take a photo but it (probably wisely for me) slowly headed into the nearest tall grass.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fallen tree in the dip- yes mate
not there, ... as you go through the mini dip earlier on heading up river there's a sweeper around a large tree - well years ago that wasn't there, there was straight single track, anyway there's now 2 ways around it so hopefully avoid chance of head ons.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Massive tree down across the trail just west of big dip. No way around- go under for now. Going to need a bigger saw

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Snakes

My last 8 rides along the Yarra and a tiger snake seen every ride. What are the odds? Most often seen on the Westerfolds ST. I saw the largest ever yesterday- around 2 meters long, darker in colour and really fat. This one had a real swagger- Im top dog around here and I will take my time.
I also saw a fox in the plantation near Hans.
There are fewer rabbits this year what with the snakes and the baiting.
Please be careful out there folks, carry compression bandages and watch your speed around those blind corners.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all. Hope you're all living the dream.

I talked to a ranger years ago about the snakes at Westerfolds. Apparently all the snake catchers are allowed to "free" the snakes they get out of homes there, so in a good snake year there's even more around.

I've had a frustrating start to the year failing to get into any riding momentum. Will aim to start this weekend so hope to see a few of you out there. Happy riding!

Cheers,

Coast