Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
dodgy fuckers

Im there almost every day and not one snake sighting for 2 weeks. It is bliss.

Unfortunately there is an increase in the antisocial behavior around many of the gay beats along the Yarra. Annulus billabong has become a no go area for riding with the kids- which is a shame. It aint just the naked men having sex on the trails/ bush- its the mess they leave behind. In one spot they have taken to displaying used female underwear in the trees to mark out their nesting sight. We cleaned up and destroyed a dozen nickers after only two days. Used condoms, bottles of lube, cans of alcohol, dirty tissues and stick mags.

It would be great if the police could conduct regular sweeps of the area and Parks could close the toilets and put up some signs.

If you are riding through and see anything dodgy- please let them know it is a public park and to move on.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Annulus Billabong

I have lodged a complaint with the local police and they will look to increase patrols (again) of the carpark and trails. May I suggest you keep an eye out for police and not crash into them on a blind corner- stop and say Hi and thanks.. The officer I spoke to is a MTBer and knows the trails well- she had no issues with MTBers.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode out to yarra flats last night, very quiet compared to the hot nights through March, saw one Wallaby in loop and guy on cx going up and down track near rehab lookout ... hmm ok but that was it.

snakes have retreated I reckon.

noticed they haven't fixed the tap near loop yet, hopefully its going to be replaced with super tap like the one later on near willsmere park.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was out last night, did everything from bonds to burke and there were plenty of riders out about 630-730 mtb101?
Few groups too, most were friendly apart from the lycra strava set.
Came across a group of greys that have made annulus their home.
Other than dodging blokes in suits walking through annulus it was a great ride.
Reckon the evenings are just getting too cold for the snakes now, during the day I reckon there is still a good chance.

redbruce

Eats Squid
It is the worst session for snakes Ive ever seen
We've had a few years of decent rain, so more food for their prey and subsequent build up.

I've seen fewer in Candlebark this year, but more closer to the Yarra, esp. in Somme.

Juvies are always a bit of an extra concern, and flattened heads always.

EDIT: No change actually, just thought I'd give Art V something to add to his collection (while there is a badge for that in Scouts - suspect you are a bit old to qualify:).

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Almost ran into a woman riding a horse on the st between the golf club and Big Dipper. Came around a blind corner and there they where. Managed to stop within a few meters.
I dismounted, backed up to find a stop they could pass. I said hi and that they needed to be careful riding here as it is very narrow, blind corners and lots of mtbers. She said that the horse as used to bikers and ride off.
The horse might be ok but mtbers won't. I know they are mixed use trails but horses ???
Still better than a tiger snake

cracker

Likes Dirt
I have lodged a complaint with the local police and they will look to increase patrols (again) of the carpark and trails. May I suggest you keep an eye out for police and not crash into them on a blind corner- stop and say Hi and thanks.. The officer I spoke to is a MTBer and knows the trails well- she had no issues with MTBers.
yeah agree with the dodgy behaviour, would like to see the police do some patrols down there

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went looking for the Tikalara single track and powerline climb that is so fondly mentioned in these parts..
Ended up in some blokes paddock dodging cows.. Then circled a derelict homestead joint that looked like a torture chamber for wandering mtbers..
Bolted through an open gate and got shredded by blackberries until a skidding stop for an angry grey roo who had the shits up.
Finally back tracked and took the obvious well worn trail from the farm gate to the top of the powerlines.. :slaphead:

The climb was great, is there any good single track to take back down for the effort?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Went looking for the Tikalara single track and powerline climb that is so fondly mentioned in these parts..
Ended up in some blokes paddock dodging cows.. Then circled a derelict homestead joint that looked like a torture chamber for wandering mtbers..
Bolted through an open gate and got shredded by blackberries until a skidding stop for an angry grey roo who had the shits up.
Finally back tracked and took the obvious well worn trail from the farm gate to the top of the powerlines.. :slaphead:

The climb was great, is there any good single track to take back down for the effort?
I went exploring to the right of the powerline climb and couldn't find anything. I believe this might be WMTBC opportunity in the future. Hope so the elevation is serious.
You didn't go in the farmhouse did you.........

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went exploring to the right of the powerline climb and couldn't find anything. I believe this might be WMTBC opportunity in the future. Hope so the elevation is serious.
You didn't go in the farmhouse did you.........
Ha Nah mate, dawned on me that with all the cows there could be a bull and got out.
Whats the go with the creepy farmhouse???
The gully in the middle of the powerlines would make a great trail, rolling up side to side a la copperhead at buller..

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ha Nah mate, dawned on me that with all the cows there could be a bull and got out.
The gully in the middle of the powerlines would make a great trail, rolling up side to side a la copperhead at buller..
Yeah, but build it without all the MuthaF##king gravel and loose rocks.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
think you went the wrong way. you needed to get to beasley's nursery via main yarra trail first, so continuing past petty's orchard etc, just following the bike path.

then when you get to beasleys you'd do a hard left up side dirt road (so going back) and follow it all the way to the power line climbs ... through gap in fence. from there you'd descend down the service road (with otb water bars) and you'd pick up some very nice single track that goes around following river. pretty fast great riding. finally with the farm house on your left you'd exit out carrying the bike over gate/bridge and back onto main yarra trail, of course there's single track above the trail for us to take - up to pettys orchard.

(this way gives you a good climbing workout - if you're keen you'd descend the water bar service road and go up from other side phrrrrrroow hard core!!)

remember to keep your riding low key up around there - also these areas are natural trails, no funky trail features so just adapt and ride.

Last edited:

Big AC

Likes Dirt
There used to be a small piece of ST from the top of the hillclimb / wall to the bottom, not sure if it is still there. The hillclimb / wall is the serious climb which MTB is talking about.

There is an even steeper fire road climb (steeper than powerline climb / not as steep as the wall) a little further out behind Currawong Bush Park, seriously loose, rutted, and steep.

What is with the new ST in Hans which exits the current ST halfway up the front switchbacks and then re-joins just after the top - kids? There also appears to be a new bit of track exiting off the back switchbacks (just before that little pinch with the rock armouring).