Yarra Trails regulars

cracker

Likes Dirt
Saw that yesterday, what a balls up.
yeah? thats what i thought, if theres a drain there fair enough its a drain, why not build the track 5m the other way !
i hate to think how much it cost to build that track in the first place and it wouldnt have been there more then 9 months ?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Dunno if anyone's lost a dog but there was a huskie just trotting along the singletrack from Fairfield boathouse to Studley boathouse late this arvo, just under the freeway bridge. Figured I'd see the owner as I kept riding but nothing....

well looks like im going exploring.
Don't get your hopes up, they're chained most of the time. Or at least they used to be.

Let's not go down this road again. This is basic trail/DJ etiquette 101 stuff.

Ride trails to find trails is about the most valuable tip I could give you, Cracker.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't think your average xc yarra trails mountain biker would make much use of those jumps if they did exist which they don't as they aren't there but if there they were there which they clearly aren't then you'd need a little bike with big balls to use them I don't have a little bike for something that don't exist, big balls however do come in handy at times.

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
don't think your average xc yarra trails mountain biker would make much use of those jumps if they did exist which they don't as they aren't there but if there they were there which they clearly aren't then you'd need a little bike with big balls to use them I don't have a little bike for something that don't exist, big balls however do come in handy at times.
Spot on 101

Dave78

Cannon Fodder
Definitely agree with Big AC. Have seen around a dozen snakes this season. Each time on a slightly cooler day. I guess they are trying to warm up in the sun.

Glad someone said it.

It'd be great if posts could be edited and we could pretend this never happened...
Agreed.

Beautiful morning out on the southern network with nice & cool conditions to be had. Surprised to see how many people have been over-cooking it along the Eastern Fwy section over the last few months- a few significant spots through corners where people have been dropping their front wheel off the trail & caused quite a bit of damage. In a couple of areas it's reduced the thread width by as much as 150-200mm, which is significant considering how thin the bulk of that ST is. She's a dame of a link between the northern & southern networks & it's sad to see that riders have been slapping it around.

Possibly, though unlikely to be the sole cause in this case; certainly no more so than mtbs I'd have thought, at least not in the summer months when that trail is typically hard packed. The CX bikes are definitely harder on the Yarra Trails during the wetter periods though. Either way I agree that everyone's a contributor in one way or another. By-in-large mtbs move along that section of Fwy trail at a higher speed than a CX bike & going by the widths of the troughs where peoples wheels have dropped it suggests the more recent victims/culprits have been mtbers.

My initial thoughts were that I hoped there wasn't a direct correlation in mentality between these obvious moments of people riding outside & beyond their ability/the trail condition & the knuckleheads/Stravaholes behind the BS straight-line hack work a little further along on the short 150-200m section between Belford Rd & the pedestrian/cyclist tunnel under the freeway, next to Willsmere Park i.e. the "I shit, I Strava; therefore I am" kind of rider.

That whole length of trail between the Chandler & Belford Rd has been largely unchanged & enjoyed by all (spare the aforementioned hackish ingrates) since inception way back when, & while thin, fast & varied in camber it's largely held up well proportionate to its use vs the amount of maintenance it gets, but over the last 12-18mths, with a particular focus on the last few months, things have started to get a bit checkered.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Dear Yarra Regulars

Hey can I please ask a favor

Could everyone who rides the Yarra trails between Burke and Bonds please help with clearing overhanging foliage. The worst spots are between the golf club and the big dipper, Annulus, Odyssey loop and the Somme. I did the entire length around 5 months ago and I really couldnt be fucked doing it all again- it is about 3 days work on your own.

If you come across a branch in the way, at head height or encroaching on the trail please stop and prune/ break it off. If we all did a bit each ride there wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

JD

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
Possibly, though unlikely to be the sole cause in this case; certainly no more so than mtbs I'd have thought, at least not in the summer months when that trail is typically hard packed. The CX bikes are definitely harder on the Yarra Trails during the wetter periods though. Either way I agree that everyone's a contributor in one way or another. By-in-large mtbs move along that section of Fwy trail at a higher speed than a CX bike & going by the widths of the troughs where peoples wheels have dropped it suggests the more recent victims/culprits have been mtbers.

My initial thoughts were that I hoped there wasn't a direct correlation in mentality between these obvious moments of people riding outside & beyond their ability/the trail condition & the knuckleheads/Stravaholes behind the BS straight-line hack work a little further along on the short 150-200m section between Belford Rd & the pedestrian/cyclist tunnel under the freeway, next to Willsmere Park i.e. the "I shit, I Strava; therefore I am" kind of rider.

That whole length of trail between the Chandler & Belford Rd has been largely unchanged & enjoyed by all (spare the aforementioned hackish ingrates) since inception way back when, & while thin, fast & varied in camber it's largely held up well proportionate to its use vs the amount of maintenance it gets, but over the last 12-18mths, with a particular focus on the last few months, things have started to get a bit checkered.
Shakes I reckon all the benched ST from chandler to Warrandyte is suffering at the moment. It's just so dry that unless there's a rock base stuff is just crumbling. The ST between Hans and Beasleys is the same if not worse.
We need some rain big time

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
They're not THAT big.