XT M772 Rear Derailleur Thoughts

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Farkers,

I'm looking to replace my LX Rear Derailleur on my Anthem. One thing that has really pissed me off about it is the cable routing from the frame to the back of the derailleur. The derailleur takes in the cable in a way that you need a large loop from the frame to the back of the derailleur, and as a result I'm sure I've had more grief maintaining it.

I've just been looking on Wiggle and there is a XT model (772) that has a more direct cable feed. Here's the LINK.

So has anyone used this and what do they think? Are there any differences in performance? Also noticed that there is no barrel adjuster, is it a drama to only be able to tune from the shifter?

Cheers,

Coaster

rone

Eats Squid
Do it. Better shifting and a lower side profile. Just use the adjuster on the shifter to fine tune the adjustment. Shadow RD's seem to encompass the smooth shifting of Shimano with the positive feel you get with SRAM. Best of both worlds.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I have this exact derailleur with a XTR shifter, and I highly recommend it.
I don't know how shifting could actually be better. It really is that crisp and sharp.
Very snappy and easy to maintain. Even with the deore shifters it was a win.

Love it. Probably one of my favourite components on my rig.

Just buy it. You won't regret it.

0psi

Eats Squid
I have this exact derailleur with a XTR shifter, and I highly recommend it.
Great point. I run a few of my bikes with X.O shifters and X.9 derailleur and I can't really tell the difference between that and a full X.O drive train. And as a bonus, you don't have to worry about wrecking stupidly expensive derailleurs. A bit off topic, but you get that :)

Brendan.

Likes Bikes
YAY !! ;) Just bought one off ebay (New) because my old XT long cage got mangled. Can't wait to get this thing on. I got the RD-M772-GS :cool:

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic, thanks for the comments and info guys. Looks like it's a go'er!!!!

EDIT: Thought I'd post just in case anyone searches on this. I got the XT derailleur (772) from Wiggle, used it for a week or so and it's great. Very impressed with shifting even with the crappy Deore shifters and the cable routing is much cleaner. Wondering why you wouldn't buy this!!!!!!

Last edited: