XT M770 crankset for light freeride?

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,

I was certain this would have been covered, but searching has revealed nothing.

I want to replace the Holzfeller crankset on my SX Trail. I am currently running a 170mm single ring only crankset with an SRS+. I would like to change this to a lighter, more "All mountain" friendly dual ring 175mm crankset. I find as I'm getting older my riding is now leaning towards agressive all mountain and trail riding.

Is the XT stuff tough enough or is it aimed at XC weight weenies? The most abuse they would see is the odd 4 or 5' drop to flat.

Are there any alternatives to consider besides the SLX series?

Any suggestions or links to appropriate threads would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you will be right with XT's - I was under the impression that SLX's were a bit stronger (and heavier) but not quite as beefy as Saint's

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
my SLX cranks are only about 50g heavier than my XT cranks

Im not sure how strong SLX's are supposed to be

XT's are pretty strong but not bomb proof

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Mate, I've got a set of LX cranks from 05 on my bike and by no means has it been used to freeride but I have hit drops and stuff on it occasionally and it's held up fine.

That being said though, if you're a hack or have broken cranks before then perhaps look at something stronger than the XT ones.
Ideally you'd get a set with steel inserts for the pedals to thread into, not just the crank arm like XT.

Can't comment on SLX and whether or not they have the steel insert. I'd go for these anyway as they're cheaper and will be just as strong if not stronger. XT is the step down from XTR so it could be said it's getting into weight saving territory..

SLX double ring with bashy
SLX triple ring setup
XT triple ring set I'm not sure if the bottom bracket comes with this set as they've got it listed separately..might have to contact them on that one..
XT bottom bracket

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the input everyone.

I've never broken or bent a crank arm before and I can't really see myself doing it. Do people ever strip the splines off the crank arm? The splines are very fine compared to the Howitzer on there at the moment. At 300grams lighter, I guess that's to be expected...

Similarly, the steel insert in the SLX cranks. Do people regularly pull the pedal out of the thread in the crank arm for this insert to be required? I assume there would have to be significant forces required to do this?

If I break the XT cranks, I'll consider it an achievement and mount them up in the pool room.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input everyone.

I've never broken or bent a crank arm before and I can't really see myself doing it. Do people ever strip the splines off the crank arm? The splines are very fine compared to the Howitzer on there at the moment. At 300grams lighter, I guess that's to be expected...

Similarly, the steel insert in the SLX cranks. Do people regularly pull the pedal out of the thread in the crank arm for this insert to be required? I assume there would have to be significant forces required to do this?

If I break the XT cranks, I'll consider it an achievement and mount them up in the pool room.
I've never had crank problems with cranks I bought new, only pedal problems, from Shimano, FSA, or Raceface.

Truvativ on the other hand, DIE! I hated these cranks I had to hell and back. Always coming loose no matter how much I torqued them up again they'd always find a way to re-loosen.
These were second hand though and were probably well and truely ragged out so I can't say for certain it was a crank problem, I have read a few similar problems however from other people.

Don't personally know anyone that's ruined a crank without a steel insert so I can't comment on how common that occurs.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Yep, I've found that my Holzfeller cranks come loose unless I tighten them with a 2' piece of pipe.

I've just ordered a set of XT cranks with three rings and BB for $200.00 delivered. If they break or bend, it's not going to be the end of the world. Assuming of course they don't snap in half and go through my leg :eek:

velocidad

Likes Dirt
The Shimano SLX M665 is double the strength of the XT crank (Shimano's claim not mine) $80 to $100 cheaper than XT M770, and has the steel pedal inserts (The SLX M660 Triple setup doesn't BTW) all for ~50 grams. p.s. If you regularly change pedals between spd's and flats, the thread inserts are a good thing to have.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I went from holzfeller to XTs on my Bullit.

I call it more AM then light freeride :p ... but I have the same intended use ... basically plow the downs, do the occassions huck to flat or worse ... huck to baby heads

No problems ... been about 1.5 to 2 years so far

I'm considering XTs for my DH rig too ... but I'm relatively light 75kgs and haven't had problems with cranks or BBs before.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
^ Sounds like exactly what I'm doing and you're the same weight too. Very reassuring :)

I never change pedals, so I think I should be fine without the pedal inserts (the current Holzfellers don't have them).

I do like running 1x9, so I imagine I will end up using the XTs with a single ring and the SRS+. I need a new 32 tooth front ring anyway, so for another 150 bucks I've just dropped 300grams from the bike and picked up the ability to run multiple front rings if/when the need arises.

Thanks again for the replies. I think I made the right decision :cool:

JackFa

Likes Bikes
^ Sounds like exactly what I'm doing and you're the same weight too. Very reassuring :)

I never change pedals, so I think I should be fine without the pedal inserts (the current Holzfellers don't have them).

I do like running 1x9, so I imagine I will end up using the XTs with a single ring and the SRS+. I need a new 32 tooth front ring anyway, so for another 150 bucks I've just dropped 300grams from the bike and picked up the ability to run multiple front rings if/when the need arises.

Thanks again for the replies. I think I made the right decision :cool:
Yes I believe you did make the right decision - found myself in a similar situation but looking for some 4x cranks which is similar to you criteria. Ended up going with the xt's in the 175mm for a bit more leverage and I couldn't be happier I also found that the shimano bb's are great and i've landed flat and heavy a couple times yet they still are going strong. For the record the slx's are 40g's lighter.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
I ran XT cranks on my DH bike for a few years with no problems at all. Still have then on a diffrent bike now.