XO Brakes For Downhill

faltum25

Likes Bikes
hey guys does anyone know it the xo brakes are any good for downhill because im looking at getting new brakes.
cheers guys would love to hear your opinions

ando120

Likes Dirt
I heard from someone that they are like Avid Elixir R's but 100 times better, but i haven't tested them myself. I noticed alot of people are using them on their DH bikes because of the X0 group set.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
all the cool kids run codes or saints these days, apparently 4 pots are really needed on a sub 20kg mtb?

as far as i can tell any brake will work :D i still use juicy 7's

dunndog

Eats Squid
all the cool kids run codes or saints these days, apparently 4 pots are really needed on a sub 20kg mtb?

Depends on rider weight too, my bike weighs a shitload more than 17kg's when i'm riding it..

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about

I'm in the same boat, I've had juicy ultimate as my main brakes for awhile, only purchasing elixir crs because they were in the bike shop and the same colour as my new frame

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
I am using 2012 XO's. They are amazing. Beat the shit out of my mates Code R's and Saints any day. They engage amazingly, feel great under heavy load, don't fade noticeably and they are light as shit.

4 Spots are cool, but I wouldn't give up the XO's for a set...

PS. Saint = Poo. Anything SRAM is better than Saint...

driftking

Wheel size expert
Depends on riding speed, rider weight, tracks, and your own personal preference.
I am a very light rider like troy brosnan before he started putting weight on for wc's haha. And I run 203 rotors with code R's, I love the feeling never feel like I am lacking or over powered. I have tried elixirs and have never liked them, I don't know if it was the leaver design or the 2pot system though my old 07 juicy 7's as 2pot (I think) and I love them too, so I guess lever design is the issue.

For the sake of it the boys that run them on the wc do or at least were running x-0 levers with code calipers. That definitely says something about the lever design if it is used over the code one. The caliper is the obvious 2pot vs 4pot. 4pot is virtually needed on a wc circuit, for me 4-pot all the way but over all feel and performance is what really decides it.

I cant see x-0 been a issue or holding someone back, it's just a matter of what you like the feel of and works with you.

faltum25

Likes Bikes
thanks heaps for your feedback you guys have been great now alot of you said weight was an issue but im very very light but also you guys mentiond how fast i ride and the tracks i ride im only 17 but i dont wanna sound like i have a big head but i won vic champs so i must be doing something right and going reasonably fast also about the tracks i will be riding. do you think they will hold up to national tracks and ther vic series tracks because ill be racing in both seeing as though i have a frame sponsor.
thanks guys would love to hear what you guys think

faltum25

Likes Bikes
nastyillyweed i totaly agree im a sram/avid lover and i owned a set of saints for about a month and i hated them they were horible:thumb:

MB

Intense Australia
nastyillyweed i totaly agree im a sram/avid lover and i owned a set of saints for about a month and i hated them they were horible:thumb:
Hey Faltum I run '12 X0's on my M9 and I'm 85kg. I run 200/180 rotors and they are fine, I've cooked the rear a couple of times but it's only cos I'm old and scared of going fast. If you're a lightweight then you'll have no problems with them, they are great brakes.

dunndog

Eats Squid
thanks heaps for your feedback you guys have been great now alot of you said weight was an issue but im very very light but also you guys mentiond how fast i ride and the tracks i ride im only 17 but i dont wanna sound like i have a big head but i won vic champs so i must be doing something right and going reasonably fast also about the tracks i will be riding. do you think they will hold up to national tracks and ther vic series tracks because ill be racing in both seeing as though i have a frame sponsor.
What, you won vic champs at Narby? If so, well that's a pretty long and fairly steep track so if they'd hold up there then i reckon you'd be pretty safe most other tracks.. from your description of yourself and what's been said here it sounds like you'd be fine.. although may require more power to pull that 'big head' of yours up! :)
Well done on that result too! I Love the shit outta that track

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
What brakes did you use for the champs?

If you used 2pot system with a older design than i cant see the X-0 been a issue, they are a well developed brake and 2-pot systems have come a long way in terms of power, modulation and reducing fade. Again I always go with 4-pot I like having plenty of power under me, I like having good modulation with plenty of power for me I prefer that feeling and gives me my ideal brake feel. For me feeling is the most important part, I like how the extra power makes the bikes lever feel which is why I go for 4-pot.

In terms of over all power i could more than likely get away with 2-pot but again feeling isn't there for me on most I have tried. If you can test them it would be best.

faltum25

Likes Bikes
thanks heaps guys youa are all helpful and the sorta guys that i like to hear oppinions from unlike kids that just are on here to be stupid also the brakes i used at state champs were 09 elixer crs. also quote of the day from dunndog "although may require more power to pull that 'big head' of yours up" :mod:

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have always run 2 pot brakes, never had issues with overheating. My CRs and 5's did fail a lot though it was not heat related...

Sounds like you have made your mind up already but I urge you to give 2012 XT trails a go, I was initially unimpressed but after a few days of riding they are incredible, still haven't bled them after cutting the lines. Am going to a Saint caliper on the front because I really think you can never have too much power.