XC Tyres

I've used an Ikon on the rear of my 26" wheeled hardtail.
I've also run an Ardent Race on the front.

An awesome combination - the Ikon on the back rolls fast and grips well but because of its smaller tread knobs, it can be shaken and you have to be careful braking. It can also wear fairly quickly.
The Ardent Race has a very similar tread pattern to the Ikon but the knobs are bigger than the Ikon and grip much better, particularly if you get the 3C version. It is lighter and rolls faster than the standard Ardent.
I have raced on this combo and also spent general trail time on it as well.

But I wanted something that still rolls well but is grippier than the Ikon and so I'm putting an Ardent Race on the back too for my next race tomorrow.

Post race Edit: the AR on front and rear is a fantastic combo.
Tonnes more grip in all situations when compared with the Ikon.
Maybe a little slower in a straight line but overall average speed is better (compared over two XCO races on the same course) because of the superior grip and confidence it inspires.

BTW, I run tubed with 27psi on the back and 23psi on the front.
I recently put a set of CrossMarks on the 26". Only for a laugh, and because I ran them many years ago.
Not a bad tire actually.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
thread dig, what xc tyres are peeps running these days> i have gone too heavy w tyres of late and want something lighter
id prefer to avoid ardent race/thunderburt- am thinking of trying something conti?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Conti are my favourites. Race King Protection 2.2 rear, X-King Race Sport 2.4 front. You want to get the German handmade ones with the black chilli rubber compound. Actually, I think the X-King may now be a Cross King 2.3 or some such. This will be a very fast rolling combo but if you ride with a bit of finesse can really deliver on the downs as well.

Weight will be around the 650g mark for each.

Daniel Hale

. Actually, I think the X-King may now be a Cross King 2.3 or some such.

Weight will be around the 650g mark for each.
correct i was looking at cross king -tread pattern seems identical despite name alteration, the 2.3 are 90g heavier than 2.2 but 20 cheaper, think the 2.3 will be the way to go

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been on Kenda Booster Pro SCT 2.4s for a while front and rear - have been pretty happy with them. Fast rolling, light, and have better grip than say an Ikon or Race King, similar to a Rekon perhaps. Prefer the extra volume too. Downside is they don't seem as tough, one of them took a bit of a ding on the rim recently and instantly got a snakebite flat that wouldn't seal. Took similar dings on a 2.25 Rekon EXO prior that didn't phase it, back to running that on the rear.

Daniel Hale

Been on Kenda Booster Pro SCT 2.4s for a while front and rear - have been pretty happy with them. Fast rolling, light, and have better grip than say an Ikon or Race King, similar to a Rekon perhaps. Prefer the extra volume too. Downside is they don't seem as tough, one of them took a bit of a ding on the rim recently and instantly got a snakebite flat that wouldn't seal. Took similar dings on a 2.25 Rekon EXO prior that didn't phase it, back to running that on the rear.
i didn't see rekon's at reasonable price which are in stock somewhere- had thought about them

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also - whilst the tyres are relatively expensive overall for mtb - they seem to last for a good while which beats spearing off into the scrub .....

ps - before you misquote me

" not beats off in the scrub "
" lasting a good while "

ahahahahahaha

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've run an Onza Canis on the rear of my trail bike for a while, it's a lot better than all the Maxxis and schwalbe offerings for XC. The Continental stuff seems to be a slippery compound in the wet.

Last edited: