XC Tyres

Bodin

GMBC
Haven't tried the rubber strips, just ghetto Gorilla tape, valves cut from old road tubes, and Stan's.
I've had lots of fail with tape/old valves (hard to get the often-lumpy bottom rubbery bit of the valve to seal at the hole without drilling the inside of the rim), but plenty of success turning a 26" tube in to a 29er run strip, complete with valve.

Cutting the tube to the perfect sidewall-to-sidewall width is a painstaking process, but turns out really bombproof. If you get the final product the perfect width, it creates a really good, solid seal with the bead of the tyre the whole way around. You just need to put 1 layer of that non-stretch filament-type sticky tape around the very inside of the rim (before you insert your custom rim strip) to stop any chance of the spoke holes from rubbing at the rim strip and you're good to go.

Blows up with a floor pump without even using sealant (this snaps the beads in to place) - just add a few soap suds to the beads first before mounting the tyre. Then you can add sealant through the removable-core valve (based on your wise decision to cut up a tube with a removable core), do the shake-it-all-around-hokey-pokey-dance for a bit and go riding with pretty much no worries.

If you haven't tried this, give it a go. Set aside about an hour for making the rim strips. Start by cutting them all the way around, to make 1 flat, wide strip with the valve perfectly in the middle. Then mount it perfectly centred on the rim, as this will tell you how much overhang you need to cut off each side. Mark this with a pen (blue pen shows up as an easily visible line on a black rubber tube, surprisingly) and start cutting on the wider (the outside) side of the line - you don't want the strip to end up too narrow and can always trim more off if it ends up slightly too wide.

That's the only hard part. Everything else is easy.

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
Maxis tyre combo for XC

I'm planning on investing in a new Giant Anthem 1 in the next week or two and I'm considering some upgrades. My LBS still has a 2014 model in my size left. I have also demoed this years model.

The 2014 model has Racing Ralph EVO Folding TL ready fitted but I'd like to fit something that will give me more corner grip on the front.

The 2015 model I demoed had Maxxis CrossMark's fitted. I tore the side wall of the rear CrossMark 8 km into my demo ride and I was generally unimpressed with the grip on the front regardless. Before I rode the demo bike I observed that the sidewalls looked rather thin.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that in general Maxxis tyres have heavier sidewalls that the Schwable equivalent. I am prepared to have a crack at some Maxxis' again provided I can get the sturdier sidewalls that are less likely to be slashed to bits by Bendigo rocks.

I was initially thinking of running High Roller II 3C EXO 27.5 x 2.4 up front with an Ardent EXO TR 27.5 x 2.25. But after I looked up the weights on the Maxxis website, 890 g front & 675 g rear, I thought the High Roller might be a bit on the heavy side.

The other combination I'm considering is Ardent EXO TR 27.5 x 2.4 up front, 760 g, with an Ardent Race 3C EXO TR 27.5 x 2.20 , 680 g, out back. I'm also considering matching the Ardent's front and back in a 2.4 and 2.25 combo as I'd like to have some better grip in the wet compared to the Ardent Race.

So I guess my question is; is the HRII too heavy?

I will be racing this bike and I do plan on running tubeless.

N.B. I have considered running a Hans Dampf up front with the Racing Ralph out back but I think they are a bit expensive.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
Or Trek/Botranger
XR 3 $69.95 Dual 27.5" x 2.20 (TLR) 120 62a/60a Aramid TLR/Clincher Black 635g
XR 59.95 Dual 27.5" x 2.35 (TLR) 60 62a/60a Aramid TLR/Clincher Black 745g

XR 4 69.95 Dual 27.5" x 2.35 (TLR) 120 62a/60a Aramid TLR/Clincher Black 780g

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
I've read some good things about the Trek/Botranger tyres but we don't have a Trek Dealer in Bendigo at the moment so it's a bit harder to have a touch and feel.

The LBS has plenty of Maxxis in stock so that is part of the attraction.

Where can I get Botranger online?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very difficult or impossible to get them online due to Trek dealer restrictions I believe.

I rate them highly though, as soon as the Conti on my rear wears away (should take about 3 rides total at current wear rate) I'll be back on them

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If you get the 2014 Model that already has Ralphs fitted, grab a Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron and put it on the front and you're away!

Otherwise I'd get a 2.35 Ralph Front and 2.25 Ralph rear...

Or for Summer 2.25 Ralph Front and a Thunder Burt rear....

plenty of grip on a Ralph for XC/Trail

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
If you get the 2014 Model that already has Ralphs fitted, grab a Nobby Nic or Rocket Ron and put it on the front and you're away!

Otherwise I'd get a 2.35 Ralph Front and 2.25 Ralph rear...

Or for Summer 2.25 Ralph Front and a Thunder Burt rear....

plenty of grip on a Ralph for XC/Trail
The sidewalls of the Ralphs that are fitted to the 2014 won't be robust enough for the rock riddled trails on my side of One Tree Hill.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The sidewalls of the Ralphs that are fitted to the 2014 won't be robust enough for the rock riddled trails on my side of One Tree Hill.
In my experience EXO sidewalls are no tougher than SnakeSkin....

The full UST boat anchors might be a different story?

Are we talking slate belt Bendigo? I'm not familiar with the trails

Linga

Likes Dirt
Tyres for Marrinup WA

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on Tyres for the 12 hour at Marrinup in WA?
I'm riding a 26" hard tail tubeless.
The ground I ride on is normally pea gravel and rock, but this will be more hardpack and dirt and rock.
I know there aren't many westerners on here but if there are that'd be cool if you can help.

I'm thinking of Ardent or ikon front and racing Ralph rear.

Winno

Likes Dirt
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on Tyres for the 12 hour at Marrinup in WA?
I'm riding a 26" hard tail tubeless.
The ground I ride on is normally pea gravel and rock, but this will be more hardpack and dirt and rock.
I know there aren't many westerners on here but if there are that'd be cool if you can help.

I'm thinking of Ardent or ikon front and racing Ralph rear.
I've used an Ikon on the rear of my 26" wheeled hardtail.
I've also run an Ardent Race on the front.

An awesome combination - the Ikon on the back rolls fast and grips well but because of its smaller tread knobs, it can be shaken and you have to be careful braking. It can also wear fairly quickly.
The Ardent Race has a very similar tread pattern to the Ikon but the knobs are bigger than the Ikon and grip much better, particularly if you get the 3C version. It is lighter and rolls faster than the standard Ardent.
I have raced on this combo and also spent general trail time on it as well.

But I wanted something that still rolls well but is grippier than the Ikon and so I'm putting an Ardent Race on the back too for my next race tomorrow.

Post race Edit: the AR on front and rear is a fantastic combo.
Tonnes more grip in all situations when compared with the Ikon.
Maybe a little slower in a straight line but overall average speed is better (compared over two XCO races on the same course) because of the superior grip and confidence it inspires.

BTW, I run tubed with 27psi on the back and 23psi on the front.

Last edited:

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
So new build, new tire time.

My last ride was a Tallboy Carbon, using Stans Raven 2.0 front and back at around 30psi. It was good for my Adventure Racing, as most of the races were on straight fire trail or easy single track (or even paved road). Training at Stromlo on the looser descents and cornering was a little hairy at times though, as well as the wetter days in the pine forests.

My new ride is a weight weenie HT carbon Scale, and I haven't ridden HT in a while. I'm preparing for a rougher ride obviously, but I wanted a little more security on descents. I was thinking about maybe jumping the Stan ship and going over to Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs? I was considering keeping both front and back 2.1, as I don't think I want to go the next size up.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So new build, new tire time.

My last ride was a Tallboy Carbon, using Stans Raven 2.0 front and back at around 30psi. It was good for my Adventure Racing, as most of the races were on straight fire trail or easy single track (or even paved road). Training at Stromlo on the looser descents and cornering was a little hairy at times though, as well as the wetter days in the pine forests.

My new ride is a weight weenie HT carbon Scale, and I haven't ridden HT in a while. I'm preparing for a rougher ride obviously, but I wanted a little more security on descents. I was thinking about maybe jumping the Stan ship and going over to Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs? I was considering keeping both front and back 2.1, as I don't think I want to go the next size up.
Wow, stans! You are going to want decent grip on the rear because you won't be sitting over bumps on climbs , so the 2.25 is a better option. Ralph's rear and Rons front, both in 2.25. It's a very common combo at races. The bigger bag enables slightly lower pressures which provides better grip on loose surfaces and lower rolling resistance.

If you are building it to hang from a park tool scale, photograph and post it on weight weenies then thin tyres without grip are fine - just keep your health insurance up to date ;)

a.brasington

Likes Bikes
I honestly didn't mind the Stans too much. They were only scary on some sections of the harder descents at Stromlo. Oh and they were utterly useless in the mud at one of the Xterra events.

2.25 seems quite large to me... I have never ridden anything over 2.2, and even then they felt really big. I think one of my friends is running 2.25 schwalbes, so I'll give his bike a go before I pull the trigger.

While being a weight weenie bike, it is still going to be a well-used race bike :)

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Time for one of my favourite Faith No More tracks... Digging the Grave:

I'm building up a 650B XC hardtail, and was chasing some opinions on tyre choice. I'm using DT Swiss X1700 wheels for the build, aiing to go tubeless, and will generally be riding trails in WA's southwest which vary from hardpack to gravel to loose sandy tops. Mostly fire trail type stuff, which the missus enjoys, and I think I'd enjoy more on a lighter bike.

My trail bike is currently using a Maxxis HR II 3C 2.3 up front and Maxxis Ikon 3C 2.2 out back, which feel far better than then stock Nobby Nics they replaced. Whilst I like that combo, I'd think there's something lighter I can run on the new build.

Any thoughts?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Ardent race seems to be pretty well liked around here, for an xc tyre with a bit more cornering grip.

Klips

Likes Dirt
None at all running the exo tr version. Worth having a look in the 29er tyre thread, that's very extensive (and mostly xc) and a lot more recently updated.

Edit: oh, and if you're after lightweight for fire roads then have a look at the maxxis treadlites, they're very light and very slick in the middle with a huge corner on them, like an xc rock razor.

Last edited: