XC Tyres

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Specialized Fast track rear and Capitan front is good for me. I also like to look of the Onza tyres- $25 more than Spech- next time.

golden path

Banned
im using these atm as a rear and i agree...its fast

what tyre have you found it pairs well with up front?

I was running it with the somewhat hard to find 2.1 Maxxis Rendez. Later I was running it with the 2.25 Ardent up front. Not a bad combo at all for fast trails and moderate loose over hard, light gravelly stuff.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Just got a pair of Thunderburts in the mail. Very light, very thin, look sorta like mini-me racing ralphs. I don't think I'll bust these out for Redesdale this weekend :)

ChopSticks

Banned
Just got a pair of Thunderburts in the mail. Very light, very thin, look sorta like mini-me racing ralphs. I don't think I'll bust these out for Redesdale this weekend :)
the TB's are rad tyres! they roll SOOOOOOOOO well.
just becareful running them on the front....

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I was running it with the somewhat hard to find 2.1 Maxxis Rendez. Later I was running it with the 2.25 Ardent up front. Not a bad combo at all for fast trails and moderate loose over hard, light gravelly stuff.
i've got a brand new 26x2.1 Rendez if you're looking... was going to ditch it shortly as it's no use to me.

glasslike

Likes Dirt
Tyre: Maxxis Brentjens DNA S490 2.1
Strength: Light weight, fast
Weakness: Flats way to easily even under 50psi, if using as a front tire it will take a while to get used to the lack of grip, as a rear tire horrible on gravel over hard ground as it just spins and gets your nowhere.
Weight: 500g
Bottom line: Wouldn't recommend unless your racing on smooth hard ground

redbruce

Eats Squid
Tyre: Maxxis Brentjens DNA S490 2.1
Strength: Light weight, fast
Weakness: Flats way to easily even under 50psi, if using as a front tire it will take a while to get used to the lack of grip, as a rear tire horrible on gravel over hard ground as it just spins and gets your nowhere.
Weight: 500g
Bottom line: Wouldn't recommend unless your racing on smooth hard ground
Think I missed something. The 50psi/MTB bit.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
So I have used the thunderburts for a while now. Very, very fast on smooth hardpack. Surpisingly grippy on that surface.

BUT.......very. very fragile. Mine are the non-snakeskin version and they performed miserably at Stromlo. Heaps of snakebite punctures, and if pumped up to avoid punctures, no grip.

Currently got an Ardent Race on the front with a complete suite of acronyms, and am impressed so far by the grip, durability and rolling resistance.

redline316

Likes Dirt
i run the ardent race front and rear on my 29er good speed,decent grip and maxxis tyres just seem to last a hell of a lot longer than schwalbe tyres.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
So I have used the thunderburts for a while now. Very, very fast on smooth hardpack. Surpisingly grippy on that surface.

BUT.......very. very fragile. Mine are the non-snakeskin version and they performed miserably at Stromlo. Heaps of snakebite punctures, and if pumped up to avoid punctures, no grip.

Currently got an Ardent Race on the front with a complete suite of acronyms, and am impressed so far by the grip, durability and rolling resistance.

Run your burts tubeless!

Why are you running tubes in any tyre?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Run your burts tubeless!

Why are you running tubes in any tyre?
I've tried, but the rims on the bike don't hold a tyre well enough to get a reliable seal. I can put brand new tyres on and off these things with no tyre levers in about 30 seconds.

When I have new wheels, yes, they will be tubeless.

Bodin

GMBC
I've tried, but the rims on the bike don't hold a tyre well enough to get a reliable seal.
Had the same issue with some non-TLR EVO Schwalbes quite a few years back (NN front / Ralph rear). The mammoth effort took bottles of sealant, buckets of soapy water, a compressor and my entire swear-word vocabulary (which is extensive and multi-lingual) to get them sealed at the rim (they just wouldn't "snap" and properly lock) and then I realised I'd had to use so much sealant that they ended up the same weight as the Snakeskin versions, but were still less reliable.

:mmph:

Somehow, I got through 1 six hour race (the Gods must've witnessed my epic effort at getting them sealed and cut me some slack), but after that, they didn't survive any more rides unscathed. Went back to Specialized's 2Bliss tyres, stopped having sealing problems and promptly vowed never to waste time with a non-TLR tyre ever again.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Had the same issue with some non-TLR EVO Schwalbes quite a few years back (NN front / Ralph rear). The mammoth effort took bottles of sealant, buckets of soapy water, a compressor and my entire swear-word vocabulary (which is extensive and multi-lingual) to get them sealed at the rim (they just wouldn't "snap" and properly lock) and then I realised I'd had to use so much sealant that they ended up the same weight as the Snakeskin versions, but were still less reliable.

:mmph:

Somehow, I got through 1 six hour race (the Gods must've witnessed my epic effort at getting them sealed and cut me some slack), but after that, they didn't survive any more rides unscathed. Went back to Specialized's 2Bliss tyres, stopped having sealing problems and promptly vowed never to waste time with a non-TLR tyre ever again.
Ha, that's awesome!

My issue is definitely the rims, not the tyres. TLR maxxis and schwalbes, all I can easily roll on and off the rim with hands. Used about $50 worth of CO2 canisters trying to set up the schwalbes tubeless, and one of them rolled off in a corner and sat me on my arse.

I have successfully set up Giant rims and some velocity blunts tubeless, so I am pretty sure it is not user error.