XC chain guide

morkz_media

Likes Dirt
You did mention this is for a commuter, right? What kinda crazy gutter drops do you have where you live! Ive been commuting 8-10km each way for 5 years, loads of gutter drops, loads of bumpy bluestone road verges and laneways in Melb, and I have never dropped a chain. I mean no disrespect, but is it really necessary? Unless you also plan to ride the same bike offroad of course....
ive never dropped a chain on my bikes as most of my bikes have always had chain guides..

everytime i see people on the side of road with there chain off, i just cant be bothered with re-fitting my chain and they were running a single speed setup so hence why i was asking to go XC chain guide.. But by everyones comments clearly i dont need to run one..

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
ive never dropped a chain on my bikes as most of my bikes have always had chain guides..

everytime i see people on the side of road with there chain off, i just cant be bothered with re-fitting my chain and they were running a single speed setup so hence why i was asking to go XC chain guide.. But by everyones comments clearly i dont need to run one..
Most people have said you should run something, they're just saying it can be simple and cheap. If you've got the coin, splash out and get a fancy carbon one, with bash if you want to help keep your trousers clean.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm running an XCR superstar guide on my 1x9 trail/xc bike. Light, easy setup, and hasnt skipped a beat.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running an XCR superstar guide on my 1x9 trail/xc bike. Light, easy setup, and hasnt skipped a beat.
That's good to know. Hope you still like that green colour...

The XTR Shadow + RD still hasn't dropped a chain running 29er carbon hardtail, 1x10, Salsa 32T ring, no guide.

moorey

call me Mia
That's good to know. Hope you still like that green colour...

The XTR Shadow + RD still hasn't dropped a chain running 29er carbon hardtail, 1x10, Salsa 32T ring, no guide.
I like the 'royal sampler' approach. Black frame, some red components, and flouro green chain guide. Works for me:bounce:

moorey

call me Mia
Edit.
Sad to report that this thing is going into the spare parts box tonight, only to be used on commuter bike and maybe not even then.
After a few faultless months, it let me down big time today. I'd like to blame the chattery rocks, but it was also on flat sections. Kept throwing the chain off during the race. If I stayed on my highest 6 gears, it was generally ok, but shifting past 6 was out of the question...not ideal with a 1x9 setup and 36t up front. Dropped it 8 times on first lap, each time requiring a stop and fix of 30-60 seconds.

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Edit.
Sad to report that this thing is going into the spare parts box tonight, only to be used on commuter bike and maybe not even then.
After a few faultless months, it let me down big time today. I'd like to blame the chattery rocks, but it was also on flat sections. Kept throwing the chain off during the race. If I stayed on my highest 6 gears, it was generally ok, but shifting past 6 was out of the question...not ideal with a 1x9 setup and 36t up front. Dropped it 8 times on first lap, each time requiring a stop and fix of 30-60 seconds.
Was this the seat tube mount or BB mount?
I have used the XCR seat tube mount guide with zero chain drops.

wish i could say the same about XX 2x10 on my HT, will be very soon going to 1x10 with XCR seat tube mount guide.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Was this the seat tube mount or BB mount?
I have used the XCR seat tube mount guide with zero chain drops.

wish i could say the same about XX 2x10 on my HT, will be very soon going to 1x10 with XCR seat tube mount guide.
BB mounted. It is flexing a lot, so I'll try to rig up something to stop that. What baffles me is that it's just started today. Nothing was changed today, chainring not changed, bent or damaged, but chain wants to run off the side all the time. Tried dozens of different positions, heights, angles and spacings tonight, but still wants to run off. Checked chain, not bent, and only a few weeks old. Chainring and chain both new at same time.
Ridden it hundreds of Km's in the last few weeks with new chain and ring without issue.
Flex seems the killer on the bb mounted model. Over it. Changing to a guide with stiffer plate and bottom roller tomorrow if I get time.