Wylde MTB trail Western Sydney Parklands

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went out for 3 laps today. Theres a new art thing sculpture at the trail head. I didn't notice until I sat down for a snack after 2 laps and read about it on their face book post. I cannot see at all how this required the whole place to be closed for the day.

A few puddles out there but outside4 those the track's running nicely. It was odd feeling how deserted it is on a school day, very peaceful. when I leave about 9AM on a weekend the carpark is pretty much full.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It was odd feeling how deserted it is on a school day, very peaceful. when I leave about 9AM on a weekend the carpark is pretty much full.
Weekday mornings are great there. There only might be about 5 people in total. You might not see anyone especially if doing the 12k loop.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
It would be in top condition after 2 Mondays of Trimming followed by the 4 hour there last week

styler

Likes Dirt
Rode Wylde this morning first half of track has been trimmed making it much better to corner. Last week the grip was great after the 4hr race but starting to loosen up a little now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I went there on Friday morning. Overall is pretty good but paspalum city in some spots.

The return back to base camp on the 12km loop has one or two berms that are hidden by weeds, not a bad thing really as long as your eyes are opened and you aren't hurtling along at warp 9 :dance:

It would be more than a fulltime job taming weeds there, so just keep riding it. That will slowly push them back if you all make an effort.
Think of it as a community service....

styler

Likes Dirt
Rode 50klm at Wylde today, the fourth lap was a killer. Track conditions are good a little dusty in some parts making it a bit slippery. Somehow managed to burp the rear tire on the last decent.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Will be riding it tomorrow for the first time . Got to have a crack at it before the 7 hour . Checked out some videos of it and looks like fun to ride .

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I went for a blat at Wylde this morning. The trail is looking good - nicely bedded in baked hardpack.
Enjoy it folks.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Went there this morning. It was pretty busy. Many practicing for the race in 2 weeks.

The ambulance turned up too. I immediately think of people with new bikes and the roly poly jump. What could possibly go wrong

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Nice little video from the Chocolate Foot crew before the next event at Wylde, looking forward to this.

[video=youtube;-lBHGZyVe-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBHGZyVe-I[/video]

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Finally got to ride the place today . 3 laps of the full loop . Not sure what to make of it just yet so will probably make the trip up again over the weekend and do some more laps. Initial thoughts are ( not whinging ) it flows well in a lot of sections with interesting features but is then let down by poor line choice building in others . I know its an XC course and yes I will be racing in the Choc Foot event next weekend . I`m not a fan of the rolly metal thing its just not for the average rider who cant seem to maintain stability and then wonder why they crash . After doing it on the first lap ( not crashing ) I can see how people get into trouble on it and in fact saw some people eat it when they rode it . The climbs whilst not big are deceptive and can see you hitting the shifters real quick just like you do at Mt Annan . Not sure why there are so many rollovers uphill either . The descents are good berms built well and flow from corner to corner but i just don`t get why so many people have to brake on them !

What it did remind me of in a lot of sections was of the Harrington Park loop ( if anyone remembers it ) just a longer version of it so i guess with more ride time on it you will get it dialled just like any other track .

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of the track is in good shape but theres maybe 4 spots you need to get off and walk around the deep and wide puddles. Just after the roly poly and the big left hander going into wylde return were the worst.
Looks like some has dumped maybe 100 truck tyres across the road fr the car park. Are they of any use in trail building?

timpon666

Squid
Wilde mtb park

Rode this yesterday and today. Very impressed. The stinging nettles need to be cut back a bit. But apart from that that a really fun trail to ride. Highly recommended.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
i've now done a couple "training" rides out there on the xc bikes with some mates. i reckon they have done a surprisingly good job of it. it is a CROSS COUNTRY track that could handle all sorts of riders of varying abilities, as the level of difficulty riding it gets harder/easier the faster/slower you go. yeah, there are a couple painful sections which aren't that fun (a couple straightish exposed uphill slogs). strange surface (hard clay?) that probably would be nightmare if even slightly wet, but love almost all the features. dunno what the issue is that others have with the uphill waterbars - they are probably there to stop/reduce errosion, and they didn't seem to cause me any major momentum loss. i though it was all pretty flowy. yeah, the thistles are taking over and it is a bit hard to keep sight of the track in some places (overhanging weeds), but on the weekend i noticed that someone ran a brushcutter over the edges of the first few km. it sure has got some nice sized berms, but the smaller ones later in the lap are often a bit blown out, made worse by riders riding over the back of the berm exits. it seemed that i added at least a couple extra double jumps every lap i rode it, which, with a bit of pumping, gets you going faster and faster.

despite the features on the track, i certainly wouldn't take my trail bike there. in fact, i reckon a light 29er hardtail would be the bike to ride there. the (hard) surface is probably closer to a groomed bmx track than a chattery (rooted/rocked) natural trail, so i don't reckon you'd be missing the rear suspension. i reckon it would be a pretty good track to do an xc event. would love to do a clubbie out there - i think wsmtb did one last year. maybe there will be another one soon.

my mates and i have agreed that it is now the designated "training" track, when we want to put some km in, on something won't beat us up too much, and has some decent fun bits thrown in along the way. it is surprising that there aren't more people riding it - while we saw a few people in the carpark, we barely saw a half dozen people out there riding it. it is great to have another riding option that is not that far from home.

i just had a look at the new airport map. geez it won't be that far from the wylde track. hopefully it survives.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Few thistle scratches today. They're spread out all along the track so difficult to keep under control.
Have they dumbed down the kangaroo head section? Seems like its just 2 rocks now.