WTF Cheaper to insure a ROAD Bike (Ducati) than my new MTB

sebbyreddan

Likes Dirt
I was chasing up some quotes to insure my new ride (Pivot 5.7c) and was shocked by how expensive some of the quotes were. $650 a year to ensure a $10k MTB I thought this was really steep considering most of the riding is done off road and it is primarily for theft insurance. While still in a state of shock I thought I would get a quote for an equivalent value road bike (motorbike)...a quick quote to insure a Ducati Monster with a $10.5k replacement value came back at $450 a year. This is unbelievable....a bloody road bike on the road with all the idiots driving around it in cars at 100kph is cheaper to insure than a MTB. You would think a motorbike would be higher risk to the insurer than a MTB.

$240 a year if i want to insure a $10k Vespa.

Last edited:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Tack it on to your house insurance. I have full theft coverage for anywhere, non-riding damage to it, costs me something like $60 a year (budget direct).

Used a dodgy old skewer to put my nice new blinged anthem on the roof. Off it came at 80kmh. All covered no worries... (mental scars I have to deal with myself)...

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is all about the theft. It's pretty easy to knock off a bicycle and make it disappear with no trace, it can also be used by the new 'owner'. A moto cannot be re registered after theft, plate recognition technology helps identify stolen gear and you can't chuck a moto in the back of your car and drive away, you'll need a ute and a ramp.

But +1 to adding to household insurance.

Easy pickings

It's because, too many get stolen, and they are easy to steal I would guess.
Add it on to the house insurance, would be the cheapest option.