VIC FOUND: M988 XTR Trail brake levers

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
As you may have read elsewhere through these pages, my #1 retrolicious bike was nicked recently, and I'm looking at building up a replacement of at least equal, but preferably better contemporary spec. So I'm looking for M980 XTR or M780 XT series 10-sp. bits, with a strong preference for a 3x crankset & low-clamp FD to suit! I-Spec shifter-brake lever mounting preferred, but not essential.

Will consider 11-sp, but ground clearance for the big rear derailleur with 26" wheel is a bit of a concern!

Show me what you have!

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
As you may have read elsewhere through these pages, my #1 retrolicious bike was nicked recently, and I'm looking at building up a replacement of at least equal, but preferably better contemporary spec. So I'm looking for M980 XTR or M780 XT series 10-sp. bits, with a strong preference for a 3x crankset & low-clamp FD to suit!

Show me what you have!
Damn, Duck. I just gave an m781 FD away recently. I'll have a scratch through the shed tomorrow and see what I've got.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Damn, Duck. I just gave an m781 FD away recently. I'll have a scratch through the shed tomorrow and see what I've got.
I'm OK for a FD (but I still want an XTR one). #2 bike has a M781 on it, and I have a spare M661 to shuffle around if needed. :) (There's a tale for that thread how the 661 got swapped out in the first place.....)

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I'm OK for a FD (but I still want an XTR one). #2 bike has a M781 on it, and I have a spare M661 to shuffle around if needed. :) (There's a tale for that thread how the 661 got swapped out in the first place.....)
Go on, if you tell us all you'll feel better!

I don't have any fancy old school stuff left :( (not that I ever had much anyway)
Good luck with the search!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bumpage! Still seeking M980-series XTR drivetrain & brake stuff. I've found - but not bought - nearly everything I want on e(vil)bay overseas, but would prefer to buy locally if possible.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Bumpage! Still seeking M980-series XTR drivetrain & brake stuff. I've found - but not bought - nearly everything I want on e(vil)bay overseas, but would prefer to buy locally if possible.
I think someone here in Canberra has a front mech if you want to try and find the add for you. Would be happy to pick it up and ship it.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Here are the pics of the XTR stuff I got: RD, left shifter, double crank 175mm, and cassette.

I have FD as well, but it's m9000. Doesn't have a clamp either, so most likely won't work for you. I may have a right shifter I want to offload, but will update the post if I decide to.

Attachments

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thanks to @gippyz M980 crank with 3x rings, shifter set, clutchy RD and cassette have been found, just need to feed the piggy bank enough to close the deal.

So that just leaves M980 low-clamp, 3x FD, M988 "Trail" brake set and M985 or M9000 Q/R rear hub to find! :D

PJO

in me vL comy
@The Duckmeister did you find the right FD? There is a guy selling an XTR one in Hobart. Top pull double ring $35 posted...

edit: it is M986 version

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes, I did find one. :)

As per the latest heading update I'm now really only chasing the brakes, although also after a suitable XTR rear hub. But given the general prejudice against proper bearings here, I've written that off as not worth asking for......

Last edited: