WTB: cranks to upgrade from deore

Jrok

Likes Dirt
Item: cranks
Price range/Willing to Pay: up to 200?
Extra Info: currently have a deore hollowtech crankset with 32t chainring in a shimano bsa bb, looking for something stronger/lighter doesnt have to be perfect cosmetically :)

moorey

call me Mia
Item: cranks
Price range/Willing to Pay: up to 200?
Extra Info: currently have a deore hollowtech crankset with 32t chainring in a shimano bsa bb, looking for something stronger/lighter doesnt have to be perfect cosmetically :)
Deore are underrated. No loss of strength over XT, and no serious weight penalty. It’s your money Ralph….but are you taking up elite XC?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If you need lighter an XT crankset is a solid choice. Can still be had for good prices from AliExpress. If you need stronger, a Shimano Zee from eBay or Bikeinn is the way to go. A good modular option is the Raceface Affect R.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Jrok

Likes Dirt
To be honest i thought it was an upgrade in durability more than anything. i thought xt's would be an upgrade strength wise as i could hear my cranks groaning away on the last ride :)

Oddjob

To be honest i thought it was an upgrade in durability more than anything. i thought xt's would be an upgrade strength wise as i could hear my cranks groaning away on the last ride :)
The groaning would be the BB telling you they need to be replaced. Is it a BSA, ie threaded BB?

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That was your lungs groaning away

As above - you really won't find any real strength increase in xt or slx. I'm not even sure the weight is that much different? Zee are stronger, but I still don't think you'll gain anything there unless you're hitting rocks with them all the time.

Again as above, I'd look at the BB or chainring bolts or crank arm bolts. Be really surprised if it was the cranks themselves, there's not a lot to go wrong on them

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jrok

Likes Dirt
That was your lungs groaning away

As above - you really won't find any real strength increase in xt or slx. I'm not even sure the weight is that much different? Zee are stronger, but I still don't think you'll gain anything there unless you're hitting rocks with them all the time.

Again as above, I'd look at the BB or chainring bolts or crank arm bolts. Be really surprised if it was the cranks themselves, there's not a lot to go wrong on them

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Yep! Havent had a dart since and went for a ride this morning :)

Might look at refreshing the bb then, its a bsa style threaded one

Oddjob

Yep! Havent had a dart since and went for a ride this morning :)

Might look at refreshing the bb then, its a bsa style threaded one
If it is BSA, much sure the bike shop chases the threads and faces them.