Worn Derailleur Spring

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I've just had my Avanti Aggressor serviced as I'm looking to sell, and I've been told that the spring in my rear derailleur (Shimano XT) is slightly worn.

How serious an issue is this?

It has no trouble changing gears, but I'm wondering whether or not this is something worth outlaying money for in the form of a new rear derailleur, or should I just sell and make note of it in my listing?

BT180

Max Pfaff
My XT derailleur is worn too and although I’m not selling my bike, I wanted to get it replaced before a few races that I have coming up.

Just so you know a new one from CRC was only 81.44 AUD (excluding shipping). You could either buy one and add it to the price or just let the future buyer know it’s worn and then point them in the right direction of a cheap CRC replacement.

c0de

Likes Bikes
how do you know when the derailleur spring is worn, also how often does it usually take?

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Why would you have to replace the derailleur if it shifts fine. The only way the worn spring would affect the performance would be a slowly return to the the smaller gears.

BT180

Max Pfaff
My derailleur was more than the spring as there is a fair bit of play in it. Shifts OK, but could be better. My point was more that you can get a cheap replacement from CRC.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano derailuers have a habit of doing that, I think SRAM is much better in this department, although I do use the new SLX on my XC bike and it seems to be a solid unit compared to XT.