work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
My team does HTML tables for email too, the only way to make it work in all clients, many of the people receiving our EDM's are government and corporate so we need it to work in Outlook, which apparently still sucks for rendering HTML.
I've had to modify a few email templates in my time. Microsoft makes browsers but somehow decided a word processor's HTML rendering engine would be a better choice for their email application. Lotus Notes did a better job.

ausdb

Being who he is
Lotus Notes did a better job.
Oh no Lotus notes, I've almost clocked up 10 years on it at work based on a Japanese version so none of the help was in a language I could understand. Yesterday the company flicked the switch and changed our email domain and went cold turkey onto Outlook. Considering it's 10 years since I used Outlook I'm now having the same feelings about the first time I used notes!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My team does HTML tables for email too, the only way to make it work in all clients, many of the people receiving our EDM's are government and corporate so we need it to work in Outlook, which apparently still sucks for rendering HTML.
You can't just use Mailchimp or similar? It's what I do for everything EDM related and the only clunky thing is organising the mailing lists in it.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Am not interested in how computers work only what I can do with them .
Have always used outlook , am I missing something ?

moorey

call me Mia
Sitecore is a beast of a CMS - I built my career around ExpressionEngine and later Craft CMS learning HTML and CSS to a decent level.

I now code emails using table based HTML haha
Am not interested in how computers work only what I can do with them .
Have always used outlook , am I missing something ?
Same. I don’t even know what Hambo just said there.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I've had to modify a few email templates in my time. Microsoft makes browsers but somehow decided a word processor's HTML rendering engine would be a better choice for their email application. Lotus Notes did a better job.
It's frustrating, try coding VML...

If only everything were based on Apple's rendering engines!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You can't just use Mailchimp or similar? It's what I do for everything EDM related and the only clunky thing is organising the mailing lists in it.
We do use it for some things, but we do all the HTML ourselves to make sure it's in line with our branding guidelines.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
People try to do too much in their emails. If you want a bunch of fancy crap then include a hyperlink to a webpage and have all of the goodness up there. I implemented a policy about 15 years back of only allowing plain text emails and a plain text style guide to go along with it.

Clients love it. All killer no filler and displays the way its meant to even on a command line mail client. It's got to the point where I would probably get a bunch of push back if I switched to html email now.

Of course, we don't send any advertising type emails.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
People try to do too much in their emails. If you want a bunch of fancy crap then include a hyperlink to a webpage and have all of the goodness up there. I implemented a policy about 15 years back of only allowing plain text emails and a plain text style guide to go along with it.

Clients love it. All killer no filler and displays the way its meant to even on a command line mail client. It's got to the point where I would probably get a bunch of push back if I switched to html email now.

I did similar when I was shown that some employees were adding all sorts of shit to their signatures, chocolate drives, what their spouse was doing for some charity, the latest irrelevant training they had done, a picture of their cat, etc. Then there was the one who posted civil rights abuses she found on line that morning.

HamboCairns

So, codings e-mail templates is much simpler then?
No, you don't get loads of nice pieces to make cool stuff with. It's certainly not easier as there's no standard for email client standards when it comes to styling (CSS), font rendering, animated GIFs as opposed to web browsers which broadly support most modern web coding standards.

HamboCairns

I fully endorse this for business email, but for marketing, transactional, automation etc then HTML still converts better in most cases.