Wonky tires

Jpez

Down on the left!
Has anybody ever put a tire out of round by having to fight the thing on the rim?

So the story goes I bought a 2.3 Aggressor and installed it tubeless. When I spun it around I found it had a huge wonk. Something like 7mm out. Contacted supplier and got it warrantied.

So just the other day I installed a 2.5 Aggressor and had a bitch of a time getting it on. Anyway got it on and seem ok. Next morning it’s flat so decide I need to replace the rim tape.
Do that and got it back on but had a bitch of a time. Just wouldn’t go over that rim.
Finally it went on, put air in it and sure enough it’s wonky.

Funnily enough both wonks are exactly where the Maxxis logo is.

So question is did I distort the tire by yanking on it or did I end up with two duds from two different suppliers?

stirk

Burner
I've had a wonky tyre, maybe 3 to 4mm. Never noticed it on the trail though and don't think I did it from putting the tyre on the rim.

Are you anal and install tyre with logo in the same spot on the rim every single time so you find the valve easy? Perhaps the rims out not the tyre.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I landed shit once and DHR2 exo warped to the point that it rubbed the frame each rotation. Got it warrantied.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah I am anal about the logo being in line with the valve. Good god man are you not???

I know tires are never perfectly true but this is pretty extreme. It’s actually brushing the seatstay. I also did move the tire around on the rim to rule out the rim but the wonk follows the Maxxis logo. Also checked the rim and it’s good.

Only other thing in common with both tires is I had a Huck Norris in there. Dunno if that could be a factor.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I landed shit once and DHR2 exo warped to the point that it rubbed the frame each rotation. Got it warrantied.
Yep did the same on a DHF. Mines sitting in the garage. It came with the bike from the states so too hard to try and warranty.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yep did the same on a DHF. Mines sitting in the garage. It came with the bike from the states so too hard to try and warranty.
Sell it on Facebook group "as new, 95% tread left" and when they say its wonky say "You're prob not seating it properly" ... ha

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most of my tyres buckle by about the third ride, they don't like getting smashed into rocks I guess. Pisses me off even more when it's a large one in the front because you notice it more often. If you think Maxxis is bad try Continentals.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I reckon you're stretching the bead too much when fitting the tyre on.
My tyres fit really easy on my rims and they run fine till I hit the rough trails. There's a bike mechanic here that will not even fit Maxxis tyres anymore because he's sick and tired of trying to get them warranted.

teK--

Eats Squid
My tyres fit really easy on my rims and they run fine till I hit the rough trails. There's a bike mechanic here that will not even fit Maxxis tyres anymore because he's sick and tired of trying to get them warranted.
For sure if your pressures too low and you bottom out the tyre against rim you can damage the sidewall enough to cause a wobble. I've had 2 tyres replaced by Maxxis under a warranty no hassle.

Flow-Rider

Burner
For sure if your pressures too low and you bottom out the tyre against rim you can damage the sidewall enough to cause a wobble. I've had 2 tyres replaced by Maxxis under a warranty no hassle.
I wouldn't consider 29~32 PSI for someone under 83kg to be low but sometimes you just miss place a wheel onto rocks when trails change from wear and rain events. I ride most tyres out until they're worn, even with slight buckles and I don't smash rims often so I know I'm not that hard on wheels. I could have gone to DH casings but I ride trails both ways and hardly ever shuttle. It's not just me experiencing this because I see people complain about it on my local trails page as well.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah I reckon you're stretching the bead too much when fitting the tyre on.
I think you are right. I was rushing and didn't realise the bead on the opposite side was basically seated which meant I had to stretch it further. Once I pushed the opposite bead into the well it went on easier. Lesson learnt.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've had a couple of non-tubeless foldable Crossmarks go wonky over a season of off-bike storage. The buggers would twist when not fitted to wheels, and when refitted had wobbles in them. I now have enough wheels to be able to leave them on & just change wheels to ones with different tyres for winter.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a Maxxis tyre do that, two rides old and no damage. It was tubeless and just wouldn't spin cleanly no matter what I did. Sometimes it happens. Replaced under warranty and no issues since..

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Warranty job.

One of the reasons I moved away from Maxxis was this warping/buckling of the weaksauce casings. I could tolerate it if their tyres were higher volume and lighter weight than others in their class, except their not.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Hmmm. Maybe time to try a different brand. Ran Shwalbes for a while and hated them. Took me a while to find the combo of DHF and Aggressor rear which works awesomely for my riding and trails.
so would hate to start experimenting again.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure this fits here but... I've been trying to seat a pair of new tyres tubeless as before on the gravel bike this weekend. Slashed the front & had a spare pair of Maxxis Ramblers in the shed. Front damaged one goes on with a bit of faffing, rear just will not seat. I've just admitted defeat & stuck a tube in the rear but it's wobbling all over the joint, not touching the stays but pretty pronounced.

Wondering if maybe the bead is out of whack after reading through this, hence not seating. Don't remember the rim being out of true before & given the bike it does fairly light duty. EXO TR tyres on Stans rims so you'd think things would play nice together.

Any suggestions?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Any suggestions?
Check the rim first, spin wheel and hold a finger nail 1mm off the edge and see if it is straight.

Next rotate wheel slowing and look for the line that runs around the tyre just inside of the bead like, to see if it is even on the rim. It lets you know if tyre isn't seated right, or if tyre is out of wack.

teK--

Eats Squid
Not sure this fits here but... I've been trying to seat a pair of new tyres tubeless as before on the gravel bike this weekend. Slashed the front & had a spare pair of Maxxis Ramblers in the shed. Front damaged one goes on with a bit of faffing, rear just will not seat. I've just admitted defeat & stuck a tube in the rear but it's wobbling all over the joint, not touching the stays but pretty pronounced.

Wondering if maybe the bead is out of whack after reading through this, hence not seating. Don't remember the rim being out of true before & given the bike it does fairly light duty. EXO TR tyres on Stans rims so you'd think things would play nice together.

Any suggestions?
Set it with a tube first then pop one side of tyre off to remove tube then try again.. should be easier since one side already seated.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Gents. Rim is ever so slightly out, tyre looks even. New tyre is bigger volume so that would make it more obvious. Tried opening up one side earlier today after putting the tube in, I'll give it another go tomorrow after things have settled a bit. Never had a problem before but I guess this is likely down to me being a muppet. Crap tyre would've made a great scapegoat.