Women, etc.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Righto, as suggested by Lorday I think a thread like this will be good for getting all the relationshit out of the love/hate threads.

I'll go first. I asked out a girl from work the other day, we're going for dinner and a movie on the weekend. I've been involved with a couple of girls before, but in both cases it's always been "friends/acquaintances first and then grew closer". I don't really know this lass that well so I'm guessing it's going to be a bit different.

Questions:

Suggestions for good conversation starts, topics, etc. I'm definitely not keen on awkward silences.
Also, should I try and pay the bill, or is that too 'demeaning' for liberated women..?

That's it for now, feel free to add any suggestions or questions...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Righto, as suggested by Lorday I think a thread like this will be good for getting all the relationshit out of the love/hate threads.

I'll go first. I asked out a girl from work the other day, we're going for dinner and a movie on the weekend. I've been involved with a couple of girls before, but in both cases it's always been "friends/acquaintances first and then grew closer". I don't really know this lass that well so I'm guessing it's going to be a bit different.

Questions:

Suggestions for good conversation starts, topics, etc. I'm definitely not keen on awkward silences.
Also, should I try and pay the bill, or is that too 'demeaning' for liberated women..?

That's it for now, feel free to add any suggestions or questions...
Try and be yourself and talk about common interest if known or find them out, ask about her and dont talk about yourself unless she asks.

Also be confident, but not conceited.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to pay then by all means offer but be prepared for her to decline and go dutch. She will probably think it's a nice gesture whether she accepts or not. If she gets all pissed off by the offer then it's a good sign she's too high maintenance and you should run :p

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to pay then by all means offer but be prepared for her to decline and go dutch. She will probably think it's a nice gesture whether she accepts or not. If she gets all pissed off by the offer then it's a good sign she's too high maintenance and you should run :p
really depends on where your taking her too, or if its like a formal date.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
It's only uncomfortable silence if you're uncomfortable. Be relaxed and confident and use that quiet time for good effect. Sexual tension, eye contact, body language, developing a vibe.

Payment can go either way. If you've asked her to dinner as a date you can do the pay it all thing. Pay all of the first thing, and then see what they do after that is a good tactic to scope em out.

Then get her drunk.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
On the rare occasions I've gone out with members of the opposite sex, I just be assertive and don't talk about the bill- just whip out the wallet and pay it. It shows confidence. If she protests, don't fight about it, just say you're happy to pay, but you'll split it if that's what she'd prefer.

She's redhead hey? I find all redheads really easy to flirt with.

Can't offer any advice with talking, I just go off the cuff. Ask questions, maintain eye contact.

Now question time- there's this girl, she's pretty cool, been hanging out with her and other friends a bit more lately. She's quite into going for coffee with friends, usually one on one. Should I ask her to coffee? Just a bit iffy cos she's about 13 months older than me- she'll be 20 in September. I'm just wondering whether it's automatically date territory, or if I can ask in a more casual way?

Lorday

Eats Squid
Need a couple of good, but subtle one liners, for a cowboy/girl themed 18th this Saturday. Obviously with the intention to gauge how into me this girl is. Sexual innuendo preferred.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
It's only uncomfortable silence if you're uncomfortable. Be relaxed and confident and use that quiet time for good effect. Sexual tension, eye contact, body language, developing a vibe.

Payment can go either way. If you've asked her to dinner as a date you can do the pay it all thing. Pay all of the first thing, and then see what they do after that is a good tactic to scope em out.

Then get her drunk.
Three very wise pieces of advice. Especially the first.

Talking to keep the conversation going is a turn-off. When you come to a conclusion or the end of a point (as in you've both agreed and no more can really be said), sit for a moment. Show confidence that you can be content with your own silence - something too many people can't do. Pensive moments (even though your mind might be racing for another convo-starting topic) are just as important as the words in between. She'll most probably like it, and you won't feel like a twat for repeating what you've already said just to keep the noise flowing.

With the payment thing, as Regan says below, be assertive. Be confident but humble. You don't need to flash $50 notes or read the bill out loud - just act as if you were by yourself. If a girl ever protests with me over a bill I'll say something like "It's okay, you can get the next one" - not cocky, just a calm, suggestive (almost joking) assumption you'll go on another date together soon. It helps break any tension, too, as you'll most probably both smile at each other.

Now question time- there's this girl, she's pretty cool, been hanging out with her and other friends a bit more lately. She's quite into going for coffee with friends, usually one on one. Should I ask her to coffee? Just a bit iffy cos she's about 13 months older than me- she'll be 20 in September. I'm just wondering whether it's automatically date territory, or if I can ask in a more casual way?
13 months isn't much, especially not once you start getting into your 20's. Be confident about the age thing - most 18 year olds aren't. If she likes going for coffee with her other friends, do something completely different (and I don't mean a movie). There's only so much coffee one chick can be offered per day, and by going somewhere else or doing something different (whether she likes the idea of it or not) you'll be set apart from the rest of the chumps out there.