Product Review Wolf Tooth 104 BCD Elliptical Drop-Stop Chainring from Mountain Bikes Direct

Gripo

Eats Squid
Dozer did you put a longer chain on it to allow for the ovality....also any idea that it might help with those that have knee issues or exaggerate the problem...

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dozer did you put a longer chain on it to allow for the ovality....also any idea that it might help with those that have knee issues or exaggerate the problem...
I read an article that suggested oval rings are better for people with knee problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
He's on hols at the moment, mate. He'll respond but it might be a week or so yet.

moorey

call me Mia
Ovals don't create chain growth. Your brain tells you they will, but no....well, no more than a couple of mm.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Ok...I tried a WTCe chainring....and I think I like...

Initially the driveway test revealed no difference in feel at the pedals.....wasn't till out on the trails the change becomes apparent...

The feeling at the pedals is one of nearly always powering against the gear till you spin it out of course...and select a new one.

There is no pulsing at the pedals and inline with the claims, shifting is less because the ovalness/cam shape is making more use of every pedal stroke and makes for a broader gear and this becomes apparent when pedalling on the road or flowing singletrack trails.....climbing is still climbing but once you've found the grind gear you will be able to make better use of it for longer and the smoother power stroke will enhance traction I guess.

As far as good for knees? i see it 2 ways, a more constant power stroke should reduce knee shock...but also could contribute as now you have more constant knee pressure in the power stroke which is longer...but my knees haven't noticed yet.

Anyway so far so good...i will keep it on.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Grip did you stay with the same size or go larger? I want to try 34 oval from 32 circular...
i stayed the same size and glad i did...because it didn't make pedalling easier to me...

it makes your current chainring size `feel`like the next size up........by way of broadening the powerstroke

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So clearly I won the Dozer prize of being a test monkey on the ring for the price of a review. Trouble is that between receiving the ring at the end of June and writing this review I've had two weeks in Argentina for work, and a solid dose of man flu, backed up with a sinus infection which kept biking time pretty much non existent for July. Hence the tardiness of the review. I'll now stop whining about life's complications now and get on with it.

Bike used: Titus Motolite with Fox RP23 130mm rear shock, Fox Talas 100-120-140 travel adjust fork, tubed wheels with Conti Mountain King/ X-King tyres, SLX 1x11 drivetrain and old school qr 'dropper' post.

IMG_1648.JPG

Fitment: Pretty fuckwit proof. Remove four chainring bolts from old 104BCD circular NW ring and slide ring over crank arm. Insert Wolf Tooth ring over crank arm, slide up to spider, attach four bolts making sure the arrow on the ring is pointing in the correct direction with crank arm forward (vertically), tighten up bolts after making sure you aren't crossing the threads (ask me how I know). I use 4mm spacers between the spider and ring to improve the chainline on my bike, and there were no issues using these with the elliptical ring.

IMG_1649.JPG

Drivetrain Comparison: The elliptical ring replaced a 30T circular NW ring, with the rest of the drivetrain an XT chain and 11-42 cassette out the back, so strictly speaking this wasn't an apples for apples comparison. A 30 / 11-42 setup gives a ratio spread of 0.71-2.73, whilst a 32 / 11-42 is 0.76 - 2.91. I'm a large unit at around 98kg kitted up, and most of my rides average around 20-25km in length with generally between 700m and 1000m vertical climbing. Yep Tassie does a good line in hills so I was slightly concerned about moving up to the larger ring, but given the proponents of ellipticals love to claim that you can move up a size I figured this would be a good test of that claim. Chain length was one potential issue, but that proved not to be the case. I always size my chains using the Campy method (small - small) and I still had plenty of play in the rear derailleur despite moving up a ring size.

Trails tested: My local trails are in Coningham Nature Reserve, and you can see a short video of some of the trails below. The authors only spent half a day there without a guide so they missed most of the best stuff, but in essence it's a mostly single track XC/ Trail network with a few technical Enduro sections, a steep rough fire trail for bombing and plenty of pinchy switchbacks to climb and descend. In addition I also got some lunchtime rides in around central Hobart stuff (Domain, Knocklofty).

[video=youtube;mvtAVTBrJ88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvtAVTBrJ88[/video]

Riding Experience: I've never ridden an elliptical ring before so was interested to see how the feeling translated and whether I could detect any benefits. Firstly when riding on the road or smooth surfaces the impression was the ring reduced the amount of shock movement but felt basically like any circular ring. However the power delivery does feel like it's translating in smoother fashion, but I wouldn't say I was necessarily travelling any faster for the same effort. Climbing for me was where the ring really shone. On the steep stuff I didn't notice any extra effort required between the slightly larger 32T elliptical, and the 30T circular ring, and again the smoother power delivery was really apparent and made it easier to maintain a consistent speed and cadence through tight twisty switchbacks. I also shifted less between gears because of the broader smoother power delivery. Descending the ring was like any other NW ring, I never dropped a chain, and it in general was quiet and smooth throughout the test.

Verdict: Definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I can't comment on the longevity of the ring, but in the 50 or so km I've been testing it there's no abnormal wear apparent. I'll be picking one up for my other ride (Intense Primer)

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Climbing for me was where the ring really shone.

Verdict: Definitely gets a thumbs up from me. I can't comment on the longevity of the ring, but in the 50 or so km I've been testing it there's no abnormal wear apparent. I'll be picking one up for my other ride (Intense Primer)
Great review, thanks Rangersac.
I totally agree with you on the climbing, thats where it did it for me and thats the reason I see so much benefit in it.

If you'd like to be the next in line to test and review the Wold Tooth Elliptical chainring then please get in touch and we'll get you onto it. ;)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've been running an absolute black oval NW for a couple of months and I like it. It's a 30T and I don't know that its across between a 28t and 30t, but I do feel it's smoother on the climbs. Especially when it gets a bit technical. Enough of a difference that I changed out my partner's bike from a 32T round to a 30T oval.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I mentioned in this thread speculation that an oval ring 2t larger than a round rides with the same effort. Not sure if I heard this from someone, read it somewhere or just fucking made it up. I had to replace the Muru saddle so I bought a Wolf 34t oval for the Bronson too. Because...

Despite Oz Post best efforts the ring and saddle arrived from Mtb Direct in a couple of days. I fitted both this morning.

I did my local 7km loop which has four steep climbs, three nice down runs and some horsey trail; usually about 30 mins. The last is very soggy at the moment. So a lap with the 32t round and then swapped it out for the 34t oval. Bit of a tool around on the driveway and off on the loop half an hour later.

I honestly couldn't feel much difference. Acceleration is the same but then very fucking slow isn't much different to very very fucking slow. Climbing same same and crazily maybe a tad easier when out of the saddle. Not convinced this is anything other than a brain fart but it felt like that. Flat out is obviously faster. 873km/h compared to 769km/h.

I should have timed the two laps but forgot. I feel that the oval ring is a good match for the 1x11 in the Bronson. It felt super quick and responsive but then all my riding since Nov has been on the Muru on the beach so a Kmart bike would feel quick.

No need to add any links either which surprised me because the mean diameter is larger. Must have just had enough slack.

Anyway I reccomend both Mtb Direct and the oval ring and if you are going that way... bump up two teeth.

Me

PS: I paid full price so no bias from that point of view. Now how to get the Ti rails out of the old saddle and fit them into the new one...