Wisdom Teeth

cameron_15

Eats Squid
hello
i'm 15 and yesterday i had my wisdom teeth taken out. i had the general anesthetic and it was quite creepy. it was the first time i'd been knoced out like that. i went out and woke up and it felt like no time at all had passed. my mouth was numb which was a good thing. but now the numbness has worn off and the pain has worn on.:(

now i'm recovering for the week with 48 stiches (12 for each tooth)

i gather that at some point in time most people will have theres out as they seem to cause more bad then good. i was reading this information sheet efore the operation and it said some people have four wisdom teeth and some have none.

this got me thinking, as a race are we evolving and getting rid of these stupid problem causing teeth that are a real pain to get out or to leave in?

i'm interested in finding out more so if there are any orthadontists (sp?) or dentists who might be able to tell me a bit more i'd like to find out.

if you have or haven't had your teeth out or never developed them i'd also like to know. tell me your story.

thanks, cameron

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
had my out at 16, they were growing sideways into my other teeth. was a 4hr operation, and was pretty dazed when i came round. had to walk around town for awhile n also got my Ls photo taken with a swollen face so when it went down most people found it hard to believe it was me.. good riddens to them i say, why do we no longer need them though? because we are all becoming soft cocks with too much processed food?

i want a steak sandwich :(

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
I had mine out before getting braces when i was younger!
Its soup for a few weeks, no solids:mad:

general anesthetic is sweet give it to me before work please;)

cameron_15

Eats Squid
mine were growing sideways into my other teeth and they also had cists around them which is bad because it can damage other teeth as well as the wisdom tooth.

i had to wait two years for them to grow a bit so i could get them out and now i've got to get braces.:(

i'm feeling alright now it's just a bit sore and it hurts to move my jaw (obviously). after the anesthetic i was drowsy and felt a bit yuck, i couldn't walk straight, talk or stay awake for more than 5 minutes. i have to have neurofen and some other drug thing every four hours, even at night which sucks but it's keeping the pain down. hopefully having them out will reduce pressure on my other teeth and get rid of the headaches i used to get.

i'm not sure what they are used for, in the pictures i got shown they fit in right at the back of the jaw in between the jaw bone and two nerves which is a very dangerous spot to be. i think they are just extra molars that develop later as our jaw grows but i'm not sure, there might be other uses.

MasterOfReality

After forever
When my sister was about 15 or 16 she had an undershot chin, plus her wisdom teeth were going to cause issues.

So she got all of her wisdom teeth cut out as they hadn't yet surfaced. Was out of action for quite a few weeks. When they had completely healed, she had braces put on.

After her teeth were perfect, then she underwent an operation where her jaw was broken on both sides, the jaw pulled forward and then fixed with plates. The position of the jaw was crucial, as it had to match her newly aligned teeth.

From the start, with the wisdom teeth pulled out, the operation, the recovery, plus the immense number of visits to the orthodontist totalled over 3 years and $20k+, which my fathers health fund covered around 70% of.

Now that was pain if I ever saw it.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
Mine are playing up now. I have the dentist tomorrow for them. They are impacted which means I'm going to have to get some of my jaw chipped away. YAY ! Cant wait.

s73v30

Likes Dirt
As a young child I had a disease cant remember the name.Anyhow it caused my 6 yo molars to not develop properly, apparently they were soft. To add to that the roots of my baby teeth were all long causing them not to fall out. So at age 11 it was of to surgery for me to have 11 teeth pulled at once. Had some massive amount of stitches. Couldn't eat much (soup fish) and me old man would sit down and rub in the fact he was eating steak:mad::mad:

also on one of the other molars that was effected I had to have a root cannel sp? on. Turns out because of my size and other thing I don't react to the local anesthetic very fast and I need a lot more then whats usually used for someone my age and height. so 70% of my root cannel was done with out anesthetic and me yelling at the dentist saying its hurting and her say it cant be. we didnt go back there again.

NOW MY TEETH ARE PERFECT
:D:D

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Yeah it sucks.

Mine was stuck in my Sinus (sp?) and while They were taking out two molars they took out the wisdom tooth under local anaesthetic.

It's quite worrying knowing that they are ripping out stuff from the roof of your mouth while your awake.

Hope it heals quickly, and remember to not rip out the stitches with your tongue.... that hurts

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I am 42 and have lost them ,bar 5 at the front bottom,i had a lot of medical problems with my teeth,firstly,pericardiatis(swelling of the heart),2 days in critical care at concord hospital,then i had 2 abcesses,both got infected and i ended up in intensive care at nepean hospital,and came very close to checking out permanently,since i had most of them removed,and falsies in,no more health problems.
Unfortunately,teeth can cause you a lot of grief,so,according to me,get the mongrels out if they are playing up!:D<falsy smile.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Im one of those who decided to let nature take its course. I have notoriously crooked teeth and had braces as a teen to straighten them up. When my wisdoms began coming through I figured, they like the rest would come through sideways or something.

But really they were only a few degree's either way from being straight. So I let them push through at the back of my jaw. The other teeth in front shuffled down a little to make room, but nothing major.

I was told by one dentist I would need emergency surgery to get them removed. A second opinion said leave them to come through. Always remember invariably Dentists will tell you whatever gets them the next down payment on their Porsche Cayenne. And for a 22 year old soul without health cover I decided to go for dentist number 2.

After about 2-3 years of taking nurofen every time they flared up (every couple of weeks), eventually they stopped in the place they are today.

Funny thing is, I only have 3. I went to a new dentist a few years ago for a check up and an an xray revealed that the 4th one never developed in my jaw. I was worried I would have to have my wisdoms removed due to cavities, but in the end the dude just filled them and said they might come in handy if others fall out/self destruct.

That dentist overbilled me too. Time to find a new one that isnt a slimy crook. No offense to any dentists here, but you guys need to clean up your act.

N

murrum

Banned
If you need to get your wisdom teeth out - you have poor genetics on the teeth front. If it wasnt for modern medicine, you would have ended up with disfigured bucky teeth like a hillbilly (maybe you did anyway), would have had to marry your cousin/sister, sit on a porch with a shotgun, played the banjo and likely have died an early death.

Myself, I am lucky, my head actually fits all my teeth in, they are perfectly straight and have no fillings. Which is strange cause I did kind of fancy my cousin...

Sucks to be you. :p :p :p :D :D

Last edited:

dweeze

Squid
Yeh, go the falsies. I'm nearly there. I've had 6 teeth extracted in the last 3 years and the rest are going to crap. Bad maintenance, naughty lifestyle and periodontitis haven't helped.

Although it probably hurts right now, best getting all wisdom teeth out in one hit under general. Mine came out one-by-one and all in the chair under local == 4 times the grief and pain (particularly when one came out in 28 separate pieces!).

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got all four of mine out not long ago. Although it wasn't a great experience, it wasn't all that bad either.

As for going falsies, that's a bit of a simple minded approach if you ask me.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Yeh, go the falsies. I'm nearly there. I've had 6 teeth extracted in the last 3 years and the rest are going to crap. Bad maintenance, naughty lifestyle and periodontitis haven't helped.

Although it probably hurts right now, best getting all wisdom teeth out in one hit under general. Mine came out one-by-one and all in the chair under local == 4 times the grief and pain (particularly when one came out in 28 separate pieces!).
yep, i had the option of doing 2 and 2 or all 4. i had to all 4 and if i didn't i'm not sure if i would have let them take the other two out. i couldn't go back knowing how much it bloody hurts.

my face is still swallen and i haven't slept in a couple of nights but it's definetely getting better. if i left it longer they would have got more stuck in and bigger which would have ment even more pain.

i had no idea how painful it would be and on the first night i thought there wasn't going to be much pain at all as my mouth was numb. boy i was wrong:(.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had no idea how painful it would be and on the first night i thought there wasn't going to be much pain at all as my mouth was numb. boy i was wrong:(.
I know people have different pain threshholds, but you should have been full of anaesthetic still. Can't have been that bad mate.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I know people have different pain threshholds, but you should have been full of anaesthetic still. Can't have been that bad mate.

the pain came the day after when all the anesthetic and numbness had worn off. i slept through that whole night but the last three i've been waking up about every 3 to 4 hours which is when i have to take the next lot of pills. feeling much better today though.

Michae1

Likes Dirt

I'm in the same boat, combination of too much coke/sugary crap, not the greatest maintenance and a push bike accident as a 13yo that had me eating concrete and smashing 4 teeth to shi.t, since then most of my back teeth have smashed their way to the gum line.

I am currently in the process of getting my mouth sorted out. (to the tune of $8k with a little change)

In the last 3 weeks I've had 3 back teeth removed and 8 filled (just in my lower jaw :()

In 2 weeks I go in and have 9 of my upper teeth pulled, then in August I have the remaining 7 taken out and a full upper denture put in.

Can't say it's the proudest thing I've had to do, being only 26 and having to do this, but it's got to be done.

The moral of the story is look after your teeth people, sure they can be replaced, buts its not fun.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im one of those who decided to let nature take its course. I have notoriously crooked teeth and had braces as a teen to straighten them up. When my wisdoms began coming through I figured, they like the rest would come through sideways or something.

But really they were only a few degree's either way from being straight. So I let them push through at the back of my jaw. The other teeth in front shuffled down a little to make room, but nothing major.

After about 2-3 years of taking nurofen every time they flared up (every couple of weeks), eventually they stopped in the place they are today.
The chances of having over crowded teeth are pretty much only half of the problem. Some wisdom teeth do not fully develope and protrude entirely through the gum. This then leaves a flap of skin over the under-developed wisdom tooth, allowing nasty bacteria to occur. In some cases this can enter your blood stream - causing a potentially fatal disease. And the funny thing is, I'm not joking.