Windsor siding Dirt Jumps, St Kilda, Melbourne, Victoria

Hi everybody,

I have just returned to Melbourne from the U.K. after 5 and half years overseas and can't wait to start thrashing my DH bike where ever I can find a gradient or jumps.
5 Years or so ago some mates and I transformed the BMX track at Windsor Siding in St Kilda Victoria into a pretty cool mini dirt park. I have inspected the track and it is in much need of cleaning up and building up, back to it's former glory.
I am in talks with the council about getting some support as we had there support in the past and they were very good in supplying dirt and tools. In the mean time i will be cleaning lips and sculpting where ever i can with my own tools.
Does any body know of these jumps and lives nearby and is keen in participating in the fixing up of this cool place???
All my riding buddies of late have either moved on or don't live in melbourne anymore and it would be great to meet some new dudes or dudettes who love to ride trails and build trails.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Revival of these jumps has been attempted many times, and has never been a success. A year or two back we got as far as we have ever been, We got the council on our side, got a bob cat and some fresh dirt (Of same quality of existing dirt) and a new jump was built. But because of the existing dirt quality, riding there is still very poor. I considered them my local dirt jumps as I live in Brighton, but they were such poor jumps and even after all the effort we put in to fix them up, they still were not very good and our work on lips ect would get destroyed by drunks. And because the jumps around this area of town were no better than Windsor, I got out of that type of riding as I had nowhere to ride. So now I just race DH and ride AM and Road.

Oh and, Welcome to the forums :)

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate. i live an hours train ride away. but im happy to come out most weekends when im not giving my dh bike a bash. But like Sputnick said. it has been tried many times and failed. But good luck and im here to help if needed

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes as stated in the first reply, there were a few of us that spent many hours, weekends after weekends working hard to get the jumps running and working well, and we got a good way into it, but unfortunately, ben (who had a lot of the contact with the council) moved to W.A, i had lots of input and then worked with the council after he left, and apart from a couple others from a handful of days, nathan was the only one that managed to get stuck right into it. so after organising quite a few shovel days, and just my self or nathan and me turning up, we just gave up. i now have my own private jumps and pumps so i left it to what it was.

Rickystp0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there was dirt dumped there tuesday, and a bobcat is going to be there saturday for those who aren't in the loop anymore...

windsor

there was dirt dumped there tuesday, and a bobcat is going to be there saturday for those who aren't in the loop anymore...
Yeah i was there tuesday night and saw quite alot of work done. x2 new bigger jumps...awesome...I did a little hole filling and sweeping and patching up, with my own equipment. My bike arrives tomorrow off the boat from london. yesssssss

Hey Dude - I'm Bentleigh based my mate lives 10 mintues from Windsor we're both Dh riders but we'll help build there no doubt - let me know when and You will have two extra hands for sure. I'm a landscaper so have some basic tools too.

andbailey83

Cannon Fodder
Just returned myself!!

Helloooo,
Ive just returned from a season in falls, now the snow has disappeared i am ready to ressurect my biking,
im in Prahran and windor sidings has popped a few times in my search, firstly where is it located? and secondly
whens the best time to get down there to see whats going on? oh and lastly i may need a bike so any recomendations???
cheers

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are located on the south side of the Windsor train station. Secondly they are in some disrepair, as many time I've organised repair and build days and no one shows.
So I gave up and built my own else where.

Thirdly a Dj/4x style bike will be beat suited for this style.

mely1200

Cannon Fodder
Keen dirt jumper

Hey team,

I'm keen to help out in Winsor if we reckon its worth rebuilding it!? My mates and I used to run some trails and *shh* secret DJs in Qld that was pretty fun. I was BMX dirt jumper those days, but have a longer wheel base now...

Have been hassling my mates in Coburg / Brunswick to get together with some trucks of dirt, a bobcat and some shovels and make some Merri Ck jumps, but it is all to easy to just go to the Youies when they are hung over and feeling sorry for themselves on Saturday or Sunday morning...

So, I have several shovels, ability to order dirt, ability to drive a bobcat/excavator/dozer (lets not rule out roll in ramps and cutaways too early here...) and have 5 days off a fortnight... Windsor is a bit of a hike but better to build on stuff that is existing, than go through the council / local resident / hippies trying to restore Merri Ck hassle etc.

PM me and I will come with shovel and bad jokes.

Mely

First plan, then shovel, then water; THEN bike! You don't go hunting with knife and a fork do you?

joshb85

Cannon Fodder
condition of Windsor dirt jumps

Hey im just wondering if theres been any work done on the windsor dirt jumps lately?
i spent 2009 to may 2011 riding there at least 2 times a week before i came over to canada and tryed to keep them in shape with my shovel hiding in the bushes next to the fence line!. obviously i couldnt get a lot done by myself and alot of the time kids would play on the lips of the jumps and ruin them! plus the dirt there sucks. its the only place around that area with decent dirt jumps though and good fun
anyway just thought id ask if any of you guys knew of any updates?. im keen to get it back in shape when i get home next yr from canada but i will have to wait til then
Cheers

Andy.

Likes Bikes
Hey Josh.

Last time I went there, someone - I assume the council - added an extra jump after the big double in the middle. The problem with the jump (and a couple of people might agree) is that the landing ramp is really untidy and probably too steep too. The other notice-able thing is that double under the tree, closest to the train line has been filled.

They're the only updates I've noticed. It was pretty run down too. PM me when you're in Melbourne and thinking of working on it, hit me up with a PM and I'd love to come down and help out.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes, we added the jump (box) jump, along with many hours adding dirt and fixing the shape of almost every jump as they were attacked numerous times by other people that dont contact the council or my self. we are in the process of organising with the council to have all jumps flattened, and start again, this time with an EVERYONE can ride here safely attitude.

we have a number of designs and layouts that are being submitted to the council, and they will make suggestions etc to the plan.

the major issue we faced all except one is commitment to coming and building. we organised numerous days to come dig and shovel, there would be many people say they can and will help but never show. so we gave up organising days, and just did it our selves. we have not been in there for some time due to lack of motivation to continue building for others to trash. Also because of the future of the windsor and its events

joshb85

Cannon Fodder
hey, thanks for the info
I saw the small double had been filled in and the double under the tree was there before i left too but it was pretty sketchy as i did it a few times and wasnt always in complete control!
flattening the track and starting fresh sound like a good idea as it doesnt have much flow but if you make it for all riding abilities then i just hope theres still a few big jumps too as the big double in the middle was my fav jump!
i would have loved to have been of assistence earlier while i was still in Aus as i lived just down the road in stkilda but i didnt know about this forum!
well let me know of any changes coz if got a lot of interest on the future of this track as it will be my local when i get home
ill be in contact
cheers

edra

Cannon Fodder
Yes it would seem Windsor trails has a poor record as a decent place to ride, really short take off area into each hit and it is frequented on thursdays, fridays, Saturdays and sundays AM\PM by people with impulse control problems, whom mysteriously disappear into thin air after causing problems\ having a train station and pub right next to it never helps. :distrust:

oneadi

Squid
it would be great to see it get flattened and re built would def come down and help cant do weekends though but if anything starts to happen let us know!!

batty199

Squid
Willing to help

Hi to whoever reads this i am willing to help out i just went there recently because they are the only jumps i know of that isn't thrashed. anyways the track isn't in the best condition but im going to be there tomorrow (rain, hail or shine i don't care) all day if someone wants to come down with a shovel or something im willing to help. i can't bring a shovel as i travel by train and don't exactly want people thinking i'm a mass murderer or something like that. heres my number ( 0432632696 ) if anyone wants help or even wants to go for a ride just message me.