will XT 3x9 chain rings work with 10x chain?

woolybeast

Likes Dirt
Hello all,

I am currently running 3x9 XT running gear and would like to change to 2x10, and was wondering if I can use any of the existing 3x chain rings on my cranks and run a new 10 speed chain/cass/der?

Do I need to change the the rings to suit the new chain and or the cranks?

Will the existing FD (3x) be able to be used as a 2x?

Sorry if this has been already covered but i was unable to find this specific combo.

Greg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends what chainring range you want, but yes, it is possible to use (typically the smaller) two of the rings. There is stuff-all difference in thickness, they'll be fine with 10-sp. chain. You will need shorter chainring bolts, or spacers to compensate for not having the big ring in order to mount the middle ring properly. You can use the existing FD, but it's not ideal. Because it's designed for the three rings, if you're only using the inner two you have a pretty huge gap between the bigger ring & lower edge of the outer cage, which increases the likelihood of spitting the chain off the outside. You can't really lower the derailleur because the inner cage plate will foul on the small ring, and the tail may hit the chainstay, stopping it going low enough. A 2x FD has a more compact cage to suit.

If you want to change to a more optimised ring pairing later, you can use the same crank, the rings will mount on the small & middle positions.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can use something like a Raceface chain guard on the outside position and keep the same length bolts, it gives the spider tabs extra support and stops the chain from dropping off the outside.

moorey

call me Mia
On the chain, my only issue ever with mixing 9/10sp is occasional chain drops using the slightly wider 9sp chain on a NW ring. You're not doing that, you'll be fine.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will need shorter chainring bolts, or spacers to compensate for not having the big ring in order to mount the middle ring properly. You can use the existing FD, but it's not ideal. Because it's designed for the three rings, if you're only using the inner two you have a pretty huge gap between the bigger ring & lower edge of the outer cage, which increases the likelihood of spitting the chain off the outside. You can't really lower the derailleur because the inner cage plate will foul on the small ring, and the tail may hit the chainstay, stopping it going low enough. A 2x FD has a more compact cage to suit.
Or you could put a bash ring on instead of the outer ring and have none of these issues. Been using a triple crank and triple front derailleur in this setup for years without a hassle.