Wild Mersey, Tassie's next big MTB project

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
5 new trails open this weekend!:D
Rock’n Roland, Blue Tongue, Kimberley’s Summit trail, Bluetopia, Jack Jumper and Shredwater Creek.
The network now takes you to the highest point of the Badgers Range, making a full 4.4km descent back down to Redwater Creek on the Sheffield side.

Richo82

Squid

This summer several more trails will open climbing up and descending from Kimberleys Lookout including a black and double back descent.

There are quite a few Youtube videos out there which will give you an idea on the trails.
@Stredda are the 5 new blue trails separate from your earlier mentioned black and double black descents? Or did they get downgraded?

bpow

Likes Dirt
@Stredda are there still crew on the ground building? I remember reading on Flow that there are still trails to be built on Bonneys tier? Some big decents and rock slabs etc. Any updates or is the construction complete? Keen for a visit soon.. looks so fun.

Stredda

@Stredda are there still crew on the ground building? I remember reading on Flow that there are still trails to be built on Bonneys tier? Some big decents and rock slabs etc. Any updates or is the construction complete? Keen for a visit soon.. looks so fun.
Yes, there's still more trail under construction. There's a 10km adventure loop that goes out to meet Bonneys Tier, that will open late spring early summer. Then there's a double black called Over Quollerfied to be completed (there's just a short section there now) and they are working to get approval for 3 more descents of the highest point of the range, Kimberleys Lookout. If the latter gets approved ok it would most likely be summer 2023 opening.

Here's Syked Out the new black. It's a bit wet up the top at the moment but should be good by summer.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’m hoping I can get some people to venture out and ride Juggernaut descent into Ginger Ridge. It’s an over 8-min descent. If you are well fit you could pedal the fire road up twice. I will get around to clearing up Reverb to join into as well. Just me and my son shuttle it by the looks.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I’m hoping I can get some people to venture out and ride Juggernaut descent into Ginger Ridge. It’s an over 8-min descent. If you are well fit you could pedal the fire road up twice. I will get around to clearing up Reverb to join into as well. Just me and my son shuttle it by the looks.
Geez I wish I had time to get back across the ditch for some riding, Ginger Ridge and I have a score to settle.

Stredda

I'm surprised that more people from Launceston don't ride out at Hollybank. It probably needs a bit more trail to make it worthwhile. It's just a bit to far out for those quick after work rides for local riders and not enough trail for people to travel for when you have options of Derby and Georgetown nearby.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm surprised that more people from Launceston don't ride out at Hollybank. It probably needs a bit more trail to make it worthwhile. It's just a bit to far out for those quick after work rides for local riders and not enough trail for people to travel for when you have options of Derby and Georgetown nearby.
Yeah i don’t even bother with Georgetown. Be different when the new side happens.
What I like with the track i ride is you can do 3 full shuttle runs and be done in 2 hrs, commute included from Launceston. And it’s a trail well above the skill needed by anything other than Derby or Wyena. It’s only 1 trail but it’s hard-work and all downhill. Good option if time is limited. Also not many trails have me getting worried when I drop-in like this one.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I'm surprised more E Mtbers don't ride Juggernaut. Make it alot easier getting to the top. I'm thinking of getting a Emtb for there and similar places.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here’s a bit of the aftermath from the recent floods.

Remember this bridge at Latrobe?

It’s gone! (The new suspension bridge under construction can be seen)
Faaakkkk ! I remember the first one that was there and washed away, this newish one was the new improved version and I rode across it on my last visit.

The power of water :oops:

ozzybmx

Bugger. Was still under construction when we were there.
One of my boys were wiggling the posts on the guard rail, there was a few missing already. They were really flexible and looked like they would pop out easily, I remember thinking they needed replaced with something more substantial.
Take that... whole bridge down the river 1km.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
One of my boys were wiggling the posts on the guard rail, there was a few missing already. They were really flexible and looked like they would pop out easily, I remember thinking they needed replaced with something more substantial.
Probably why they built it out of balsa wood. Figured it wont last anyway.

The new Melrose bridges will hopefully fare better. I haven't even been up since they were done. #shameemoji

ozzybmx

Probably why they built it out of balsa wood. Figured it wont last anyway.

The new Melrose bridges will hopefully fare better. I haven't even been up since they were done. #shameemoji
I am on my 1st of 2 nightshifts, then heading up to cut the grass ;)

Stredda

Those handrails were built with shear pins that fold down when a large object (like a tree) pushes up against them in a flood situation. This worked several times in moderate flooding. Admittedly the posts on the infill panels were pretty lightweight but it had a sturdy RHS outer frame. That bridge would have been at least 3m underwater at its highest point at the peak of the flood, if it had lasted that long.

ozzybmx

Those handrails were built with shear pins that fold down when a large object (like a tree) pushes up against them in a flood situation. This worked several times in moderate flooding. Admittedly the posts on the infill panels were pretty lightweight but it had a sturdy RHS outer frame. That bridge would have been at least 3m underwater at its highest point at the peak of the flood, if it had lasted that long.
Yeah the bridge was solid as ! Welded heavy duty pipe and cross members. Surprised it went so far down the river.

So the suspension bridge is V3 ?