Wild Mersey, Tassie's next big MTB project

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
You don't need an e-bike for it. It is a pretty good tech climb, but no doubt as the e's get on it, they will thrash out easy bypass lines to dumb it down.

There is also an e-challenge line on the new stuff at Railton, which looks like it has had no traffic, despite me and mrs moose being the only non e's on the day we were there.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
have been watching a bit of Wild Mersey on YouTube lately. looks sick as bro. Gotta get up there asap. Who built it Marcello's crew?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm pretty sure Marcello built a fair chunk of the original Warrawee network, as well as the Montgomery/ Iron Tor network at Penguin, but the new Sheffield/ Railton stuff is Trailscapes

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
have been watching a bit of Wild Mersey on YouTube lately. looks sick as bro. Gotta get up there asap. Who built it Marcello's crew?
Trailscapes are building this stage, they just opened another 15km. (There's a couple of guys who previously worked for Marcelo on the crew)
Trailscapes built the Green Hornet, Teleport, and the Railton Express in the previous stage.
Still a lot more trail to come and they haven't really gone up all that high onto the Badgers Range yet.

The E-Challenge bits are really just ways to short cut some of the climbs or a different route. It's just a marketing thing really, if you want to challenge yourself on a solid climb it doesn't matter what you are on.
Revolution have a video on some of the latest stuff.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@Stredda where's this new Superhornet trail they've been showing on socials? Heading to Tas in a couple of weeks and will try to squeeze an afternoon at WM trails before getting back on the boat. Guessing it's in the Railton network given Green Hornet is already there..?

Stredda

@Stredda where's this new Superhornet trail they've been showing on socials? Heading to Tas in a couple of weeks and will try to squeeze an afternoon at WM trails before getting back on the boat. Guessing it's in the Railton network given Green Hornet is already there..?
Yeah, at Railton.
Just go to the Goliath Park trail head at Railton, up Teleport, Sheffield Way, then 800m down Newbed Road and you get to the Caroline Quarry road and Super Hornet is a few hundred meters down. It's just a short little trail but as it runs alongside the Quarry road you can easily session it.

There's a few different loops in that area.
Easy Tiger/Green Mile: an easy green flow loop
Back to School/Echidn' Me: A technical blue/black climb and a loose descent with a big rockgarden
Pony Up/Gnarvana: An relatively easy climb then a flow but also technical descent with big gap jumps, off camber and rock gardens. Bit of a mixed bag really.

You can also reach the Sheffield trails from here via Pony Up and Woodhooker.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thanks @Stredda. Don't know if I had missed it on Trailforks or it wasn't updated with the new trails last time I looked, but appreciate the pointers. Looks like there's enough there to get an hour or two in before heading to the Spirit.

Stredda

Thanks @Stredda. Don't know if I had missed it on Trailforks or it wasn't updated with the new trails last time I looked, but appreciate the pointers. Looks like there's enough there to get an hour or two in before heading to the Spirit.
Just make sure you resync your Australian maps on Trailforks on the App, otherwise the new trails don't show up.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Did a quick lap at Railton trails today, rode up Teleport did a few laps of Super Hornet, took 2 runs to get the speed right, I guess if you knew it was coming up you could sprint in off the fire trail. The wooden feature is a laugh, it looks enormous when you get to it, but the gap isn't very big at all.
Gnarvana was fun, bit of everything on that. Then caught up with a mate at the pump track. The $1 showers are a bonus especially when camping.

Stredda

Did a quick lap at Railton trails today, rode up Teleport did a few laps of Super Hornet, took 2 runs to get the speed right, I guess if you knew it was coming up you could sprint in off the fire trail. The wooden feature is a laugh, it looks enormous when you get to it, but the gap isn't very big at all.
Gnarvana was fun, bit of everything on that. Then caught up with a mate at the pump track. The $1 showers are a bonus especially when camping.
Yeah Gnarvana certainly has a bit of everything. I wasn't totally sold on it at first and it's not as a blast as Iron Tor, but I'm warming to it.
Keen to see the trails that will climb and descend from both the Railton and Sheffield side up to the highest point at Kimberly Lookout. Should be an awesome descent off both sides.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Yeah Gnarvana certainly has a bit of everything. I wasn't totally sold on it at first and it's not as a blast as Iron Tor, but I'm warming to it.
Keen to see the trails that will climb and descend from both the Railton and Sheffield side up to the highest point at Kimberly Lookout. Should be an awesome descent off both sides.
Did see a bunch of trail closed and work in progress signs, good to see more going in. Iron Tor is a great track, rode it first time today, the climb up is quite good too, lots of work gone into that. Did 2 laps then had a play in the skills park.

Stredda

Did see a bunch of trail closed and work in progress signs, good to see more going in. Iron Tor is a great track, rode it first time today, the climb up is quite good too, lots of work gone into that. Did 2 laps then had a play in the skills park.
Iron Tor would have to be one of my favorite trails. Very pleased with how it come out.
Two laps is a solid ride in itself!

Stredda

Just to help clarify a bit about the Wild Mersey trail network for people not familiar with the area, I thought I'd put up a bit of an overview of the network so far.

The network has two main areas, the Latrobe trails at Warrawee Reserve and the Railton/Sheffield trails in and around the Badgers Range.

The two areas are linked via the Railton Express trail and the Badgers Range can be accessed from either Railton or Sheffield, depending on the trails you want to ride.

Yes its just me.. but im confused AF about the different towns and their trails in this region.

Anyone care to explain what the burlier trails are they recommend and where to park?? Bearing in mind i could get lost in a small vege garden
At this stage the more hardcore trails are closer to Railton and can be accessed via the Teleport/Sheffield Way trails.
Trailforks is your friend here, as it gets hard to explain but Gnavana and Echidn'Me are the more darker trails that are open in the Badgers range though Super Hornet has so decent jumps and a timber lilly pad even though it is technically green.

This summer several more trails will open climbing up and descending from Kimberleys Lookout including a black and double back descent.

There are quite a few Youtube videos out there which will give you an idea on the trails.

Attachments

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^^..thanks for that .. I've been there twice and still missed out on Railton side ... couldn't work out how to get there so ended up just riding back to campervan and drinking beers on the river :p:p:p:D;)
will remember this for next trip in Dec
Cheers

Stredda

^^^^..thanks for that .. I've been there twice and still missed out on Railton side ... couldn't work out how to get there so ended up just riding back to campervan and drinking beers on the river :p:p:p:D;)
will remember this for next trip in Dec
Cheers
If all goes well there will be even more by December.

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^was looking at the church for sale in Railton but didnt have the balls to buy..... missed opp ehhh;);)