Wiggle and CRC

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just to throw a little more fuel on this...I just picked up a parcel from another burner today. It was sent on 15/9 from Qld to Newcastle via Australia Post. Some days life is good!

madstace

Likes Dirt
What? You're disadvantaging every business who does the right thing and pays their taxes.
The only difference is that overseas retail GST was considered by the Govt in the past to be too difficult/costly to administer, while cash jobs by tradies have always been regarded as out and out tax fraud.
That implies that somehow Gerry's tears magically fixed the cost overhead of policing GST collection for it to be of net-benefit to Johnny Q Taxpayer, as opposed to it just being ideological grandstanding to please the top end of town, or some such other key demographic/voter base/party donor.

cough, Biloela family, cough :mad:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For decades we have been fed the lies about free trade and when I it finally starts to benefit the customer we got kicked in the balls.
Agreed, from a 10 step run up!!!

Pushy's and their friends at MTB direct are useless.
I don't entirely agree, I've had excellent service from both but also mediocre. Pushy's physical store on the other hand. A bunch of knobs walking around with ear pieces in like they are the secret service or something. I've never had any accurate advice from them.

Their prices and service are bullshit and to top it of both regularly engage in advertising that comes very close breaching the law. If they (and cunts like Harvey) can't compete, they can lay to waste by the road side.
I think this will really wind you up, it did me. When I bought my Evil Wreckoning back in the day there was no-one stocking them in Australia. Paul Caffin hadn't started and neither had MTB direct. So why in the ever loving fuck should I pay GST on an item bought overseas that is not available in Australia??? $400 bucks thanks very much. It wasn't manufactured here, it was not sold here it was only sent here and I have to pay GST, THAT IS BULLSHIT!!!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I think this will really wind you up, it did me. When I bought my Evil Wreckoning back in the day there was no-one stocking them in Australia. Paul Caffin hadn't started and neither had MTB direct. So why in the ever loving fuck should I pay GST on an item bought overseas that is not available in Australia??? $400 bucks thanks very much. It wasn't manufactured here, it was not sold here it was only sent here and I have to pay GST, THAT IS BULLSHIT!!!
Like it or lump it - but GST is a tax on consumers. Consumers based in Australia.
Businesses get GST credits back (ie don't pay it) on things they buy for their business.
Yes it's regressive. Yes it sucks to add 10% to stuff you buy and know it goes to Govt.
But import duties are more anti competitive and protectionist than GST.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like it or lump it - but GST is a tax on consumers. Consumers based in Australia.
Businesses get GST credits back (ie don't pay it) on things they buy for their business.
Yes it's regressive. Yes it sucks to add 10% to stuff you buy and know it goes to Govt.
I don't like it and I did lump it. I don't have any real issue with Tax, even GST for the most part, sure it could be applied more logically. Our tax system, literally 70,000 pages of deliberately confusing bullshit needs to be re worked to make it simpler as well. But it is bullshit to charge GST on a product that the only connection with this country is it's arrival here to the end user. As I said, not manufactured, or sold here, nothing. That is profiteering pure and simple.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
The real kick in the nuts is GST not being applied to exports.

We get reamed from both ends. Spit roast, anyone?

dirtdad

Tax is overly complicated at times for sure. But who wants to pay 20% UK VAT, instead of our 10% GST on things imported from overseas? Or have to pay both? Or imagine if we had additional state and city taxes on purchases like in the US (that did my head in every time I went there).
Personally, while 'tax-free' would be nice – As the lesser of two evils I prefer the ATO gets 10% from my Wiggle/CRC orders, rather than Her Majesty's Govt getting 20%.

I get the impression Australia is just a market that's too small for a lot of old school global brands to want to deal with, and handling customer service would be too much of a pain. Although some have challenged that more recently I think. So they're often happy to have a single agent (middle-person) who just distributes on their behalf. That adds costs to us, because everyone wants to clip the ticket on the way through.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

It's a tax on goods and services...provided in Australia.

As for the tax itself, I don't have a problem with it domestically and view it as one of the few good moves of the Howard era (along with gun reform). It was a ballsy policy to take to an election! The best part being converting all those tourists, retirees, pensioners, cash in hand workers, and so on into 10% tax payers and making the general public your tax collectors is a good thing for the economy.

But using it to discourage the growth in foreign retail spending at the disadvantage of the consumer was bullshit. Domestic retail could have tried things like...being competitive.

As for the UK's VAT...foreign sales are exempt. If you are being charged, you're being scammed. The UK snow retailer I use a fair bit are sneaky pricks with this. If you email them after your purchase they refund it... apparently it's too hard to do that up front. I happily pay relevant sales taxes when I am overseas.

I don't like it and I did lump it. I don't have any real issue with Tax, even GST for the most part, sure it could be applied more logically. Our tax system, literally 70,000 pages of deliberately confusing bullshit needs to be re worked to make it simpler as well. But it is bullshit to charge GST on a product that the only connection with this country is it's arrival here to the end user. As I said, not manufactured, or sold here, nothing. That is profiteering pure and simple.
Easy...we can't go making it too easy! Do you know how much influence the accounting/law fraternity has over the liberal party? We can't have people doing their own tax! There is fuck all fees in that.

Retail needs to modernise. Australian retail in particular is so rigid and outdated...by also a lot of our consumers are too. think of how much $$$ is tied up in retail real estate and ponder how that looks if Australia rapidly switched to a warehouse heavy digital market? This is slowly changing and the current covid impact is going to push it further. Currently if I order 7 items online with Myer or David Jones, each one of those could come to me in an individual package from a different store! That is just ridiculous...and at $50 minimum spend for free delivery they are kicking themselves in the balls until they overhaul that shit.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm posting this here because of my recent searching for various items.... but there appears to be a very high correlation of what CRC/ Wiggle offer for sale on specific items and what Bikebug/ Pushys are offering (ie webpages almost identical with stock)...
Does anyone else want to test this out and report back?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Been trying to look at CRC today but the website is down and new logo has appeared.

There site and app have been crashing since last week. I finally got an order out but gave up on the app. I would of been to check out 10 times and it would crash and log out. Order took 5 days to process as well, before showing tracking

dirtdad

Been trying to look at CRC today but the website is down and new logo has appeared.

Been flakey for me over the past week or so. Click on links and just get pages that never load.

ausdb

Being who he is
I placed a CRC order Thursday night, free shipping was quoting 9 days. Fingers crossed.