Why do you like riding MTB?

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
If you look at(Strava) it as anything more than a training tool you're mad. That's all I see it for, tracking my progress.
Yeah, I'm the guy out in the bush looking like a Scrub Turkey clearing the big sticks and things off the old unridden lines. I like to find the line that is the most enjoyable or the one that will help me become a more skill-full rider, I find hopping across moto ruts quite enjoyable, the fast line that to the left or right that people have made because they are too lazy to repair a trail doesn't really interest me.

I also really enjoy building trails and maintaining them, we are pretty luck to be able to dig on some private property and no one seems to give a toss, the Council know it's all there and don't seem to mind.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Another vote for the mental holiday. Your focus is on the task at hand and its very thearaputic to have some time "in the moment" as it were.

That, and nailing a flowing section is bliss. Skyline/Luge section is a great trail for the pure pleasure of stitching together the corners in a long fluid movement.

I've rather been enjoying the roadie for this as well, on the long rides on quiet roads you just get into the rythem and the mind wanders off and it all gets very Zen.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Being alone with my thoughts and just relaxing the mind.

I usually ride with music on, humming or singing along as this seems to help me think less about about the trail and I do better.

It's almost like I am riding while listening to music, rather than the other way round. (I check my shoulder regularly to make sure I am not holding anyone up.)

I find that I enjoy it less when I am with mates on a ride. I ride harder but enjoy it less.

mason33

Likes Dirt
I'm struggling to find reasons why I like mtb these days, pretty much just the fitness but that's been countered by broken bones and injuries lately. Might be better off taking up croquet...

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Can't think about anything else on the bike except staying on the bike, and the adrenaline hitting up big features.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Riding clears my mind because I have to concentrate 100% on whats happening on the trail ahead.
riding tricky trails and fast downhill sections makes for a nice adrenaline buzz
Usually, the only traffic is other riders
Breathing clean air in bushland, forests or alpine areas.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I love just getting out in the bush, away from civilisation. I can ride for 20mins from many places in Sydney, to the top of a hill and look out to see almost Zero houses or development.

A means to clear the mind. When out on the bike bombing a DH run, I am thinking of nothing else.

For the fitness benefits.

To challenge myself.

To scare the crap out of me.

To enjoy the technical riding of a difficult trail.

To hit warp speeds. (well it's warp speed to my mind.)

Improve my bike riding skills.

Nudie runs in the bush.
And for this.:heh:

jarrod839

Banned
Riding downhill has been one of the greatest things i have ever started doing. So wish i got involved sooner but i love the fact that i can have the shitest week at work but as soon as you pedal that bike down the trail your mind is instantly relaxed and care about nothing but the trail and the people around you.

Minlak

custom titis
People that don't ride think I am crazy.... Always new scars to show on Monday's

The people.... Mountain Biking people they are woot!!!!!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
No technology, no mobile phones, no internet, not contactable....

For me it is pretty much the only time my mind just wanders and I feel relaxed. I also enjoy the serenity of the bush and the sounds (and lack there of) of nature.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Because I am an anti social arsehole and can ignore the world, its all about me. Sorry wrong answer , thought I was on the roadie site. Heh heh :playball:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i don't -i hated it [when is started] have bad balance & was forever crashing, even on easy stuff. i tolerate it cos i like the bush & the scenery & you can forgot about other sh%^

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
The amount of different people you meet.
The way it clears your mind.
It involves speed.
The sense of progression and accomplishment it can bring.

However, sometimes I F$#Ken hate it. After running the GESA series this year it drained me and my colleague of any passion we had.
People complaining about simple shite and we no longer had the excitement to participate in the event.
Right now I am going through a lull where it's an effort to hop on the bike.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
No technology, no mobile phones, no internet, not contactable....

For me it is pretty much the only time my mind just wanders and I feel relaxed. I also enjoy the serenity of the bush and the sounds (and lack there of) of nature.
This is me too. I ride on my own 99% of the time, I have no urge to compete in events or group rides etc. I have zero expectations when I go out and ride, no training goals etc, sometimes I feel like smashing it, other times I'm just happy to trundle away at snails pace watching the world go by.

Went for a burn last night about 7pm, not a breath of wind, didn't see another person, stopped on the track and just stood there watching a heap of rabbits, fuck me can those furry bastards wreak havoc on a landscape. Returned home relaxed and slept like a champion.

slowmick

38-39"
I'm not one for team sports - i don't to feel like I've let people down.

I love mountain biking for the "weeeee" moment. That moment when it all comes together and just works. it can be as simple as railing a corner, cleaning landing a jump or just weaving through the trees or it could be an awesome 10 minutes run. nothing else matters - for me i tune out noises and it's almost like you are floating or flying. you get to the end of the trail with a huge grin and only a vague recollection of what just happened.

i don't quite get what the "weeeee" moment would be in road riding. Maybe speed, maybe distance dunno. i also figure it's why runners don't smile - there's definitely no "weeee" moment in that stuff.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
i don't quite get what the "weeeee" moment would be in road riding. Maybe speed, maybe distance dunno. i also figure it's why runners don't smile - there's definitely no "weeee" moment in that stuff.
Dropping all those soft roadies who can't descend while chasing down cars at up to 90kph downhill.

Screenshot_2015-11-19-13-20-28.jpg