Whoop

Scott2227

Squid
Any other Whoop users on here?

I love mine and having only started riding recently am finding it interesting how different types of rides produce more or less strain than I’d have expected. I did a 20km fire trail ride earlier this week that was basically on par for strain with a 12km single track session of slightly shorter duration. Which is good news cos I far prefer the single track riding and only threw the long trail ride in as I assumed it would be a better fitness option.

Has also helped me take a rest day here and there when all I really want to do is go ride every day. The legs handle the loads pretty fine but definitely after a few daily rides back to back I feel generally sluggish and that tends to be when the Whoop throws a 40% recovery score at me.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Any other Whoop users on here?

I love mine and having only started riding recently am finding it interesting how different types of rides produce more or less strain than I’d have expected. I did a 20km fire trail ride earlier this week that was basically on par for strain with a 12km single track session of slightly shorter duration. Which is good news cos I far prefer the single track riding and only threw the long trail ride in as I assumed it would be a better fitness option.

Has also helped me take a rest day here and there when all I really want to do is go ride every day. The legs handle the loads pretty fine but definitely after a few daily rides back to back I feel generally sluggish and that tends to be when the Whoop throws a 40% recovery score at me.
How does it know if you've recovered adequately?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
My Garmin Forerunner does the same thing, using same data, but probably a different algorithm. I’m doubtful as to how accurate the tech is for that specifically, but I find it useful guidance.

Currently it’s suggesting around 10-12hr rest after a moderate session and then 20-28hr after a heavy session, which is about right. Within those ranges I’ll find my legs feel heavy and I struggle to get going.

Not anything I couldn’t really ascertain myself naturally, but it takes away the excuse of “I feel like I haven’t quite recovered yet” to skip a session.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
My Garmin Forerunner does the same thing, using same data, but probably a different algorithm. I’m doubtful as to how accurate the tech is for that specifically, but I find it useful guidance.

Currently it’s suggesting around 10-12hr rest after a moderate session and then 20-28hr after a heavy session, which is about right. Within those ranges I’ll find my legs feel heavy and I struggle to get going.

Not anything I couldn’t really ascertain myself naturally, but it takes away the excuse of “I feel like I haven’t quite recovered yet” to skip a session.
To put those numbers in context, they’re about half what they started on when I first started ramping up a bit of exercise around a month ago. Went from bike commute 1-2 a week at low to moderate intensity, to 3 commutes at higher moderate and 2 extra high intensity sessions (running and now back mtbing).