Whisky!

Markee

Likes Dirt
My father was a Whisky man his whole life, I hated it for a very long time. Just before he passed away I shared a glass with him and my late uncle. I remember the day so clearly. I'm really glad I did and have ventured into the art of whiskey ever so gently with my first proper purchase being The Glenlivet 18.
I have one every so often, neat with a dash of water, maybe just a tea spoon full. I've not tried a lot of different types and couldn't tell you what I like or don't like but it reminds of the good times with my old man and uncle and to appreciate the small things in life.
The water option was introduced from my best mate, who lives in Scotland and loves the stuff. I learnt so much while he was home last time for just three weeks. And we rode bikes heaps in that time too.
My wife is from the apple isle and I will be getting my next bottle from a Tassie distillery for sure.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
The Glenlivet 12 is a nice single malt. Very reasonably priced as well. Neat is my preferred although I'll try it with a splash of water now

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
The water thing is a personal preference but not just because the scots are tightarses, there is some basis to it.

Adding the water has a few different effects. You dilute the ethanol a bit and so you will simply perceive more of the flavour - it's not knocking your tastebuds over as much. As you dilute and cool the ethanol, aromas are being released and you cannot discount the impact that smell has on taste.

There's all sorts of esters and amino acids and other malarkey going on.

Try it, you might be surprised. It's great on the nose if nothing else.

As it bloody well should be.
Interesting.

I've always preferred it as straight as possible with absolute minimal water possible in it.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I had my very first whisky sour the other day, courtesy of Masterchef inspiration. Surprisingly refreshing.

Btw, the Japanese stuff is the bomb. Just be careful when coming back through customs.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Nant is my favourite, we have a few early cask bottles from some years ago when I lived in Tassie that are metered out occasionally for special occasions.

Smiths is another - a now dismantled distillery from South Australia that is quite sweet and very unique single malt. Delicious.

Glenlivit 12yo is the ye old faithful for general consumption. I do love Laphroig and the Islays, and happily my partner doesn't which means more for me :)

Oddly I didn't mind the Johnny Walker Black Label, it was passably drinkable for the price and for something a JW label on it. Probably just the peat hiding horrors lurking beneath...

I must be old and my palate desensitised - my preferred beers are IPAs that smack you around a bit...

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Interesting.

I've always preferred it as straight as possible with absolute minimal water possible in it.
Some work completely neat, others need a dab of water, some need a lot. Depends on the strength and style of the dram and the palate of the person.

Anyone who says they prefer cask-strength neat is either a lying prick trying badly to show off or is someone who would be just as content with a bottle of metho...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sometimes its literally just a drop or three of water that brings out flavours. Its interesting to experiment with at least, the chemistry and your nose's response can be fun.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Some work completely neat, others need a dab of water, some need a lot. Depends on the strength and style of the dram and the palate of the person.

Anyone who says they prefer cask-strength neat is either a lying prick trying badly to show off or is someone who would be just as content with a bottle of metho...
I don't reckon I'd do cask strength straight, the one I currently have is probably borderline.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
My father was a Whisky man his whole life, I hated it for a very long time. Just before he passed away I shared a glass with him and my late uncle. I remember the day so clearly. I'm really glad I did and have ventured into the art of whiskey ever so gently with my first proper purchase being The Glenlivet 18.
I have one every so often, neat with a dash of water, maybe just a tea spoon full. I've not tried a lot of different types and couldn't tell you what I like or don't like but it reminds of the good times with my old man and uncle and to appreciate the small things in life.
the last time I drank a good whisky was in the cancer ward , the day before my old boy dropped off the twig.just him and I!
Chivas Regal 'Royal salute', kind of literal thinking back on it now...I remember he had it in his liquor cabinet for years, waiting for that one special day to finally crack it open...
Im a fan of the water in a good drop, but it has to be ice cold!..
for me, I don't mind the Glenrothes, its a nice elixir.:biggrin1:

Markee

Likes Dirt
the last time I drank a good whisky was in the cancer ward , the day before my old boy dropped off the twig.just him and I!
Chivas Regal 'Royal salute', kind of literal thinking back on it now...I remember he had it in his liquor cabinet for years, waiting for that one special day to finally crack it open...
Im a fan of the water in a good drop, but it has to be ice cold!..
for me, I don't mind the Glenrothes, its a nice elixir.:biggrin1:
Cancer got both my dad and my uncle too mate. It sucked. I've actually still got the bottle of half drunken Chivas that we shared. Have a glass of it on his birthday each year.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
My first "proper" whisky was JW Blue. Kept in the cabinet for 10yrs before being cracked open when my first child was born. TBH it didn't live up to the hype.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Somewhat related to whisky, I've started to drink cognac. Very old fashioned but it really hits the spot. A friend gave me a thank you bottle of Henessey after I rescued his arse during a night ride. I've been drinking it ever since.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
POSM - on the rampage! Love it

I'm an Islay fan - tends to shock people being little (small statured) me! I am on the anti-Laphroaig boat though, Lagavulin the whole way for me!

Quite partial to the Sazerac for my rye - that with Antica makes the most perfect Manhattan.. damn where's Dan Murphys in NQ

Actually, has anyone tried Bellgrove from Tassy? Is the Bio-diesel whisky all just hype or actually decent?

stoo

Likes Dirt
Whisky is ace, but I'll never touch the famous grouse since I did their distillery tour. Instead of learning about how it all works it was a tacky sound and light show, fuck you "famous grouse experience" !!

Ardbeg Blasda
Ancnoc
Lagavulin
Cragganmore
Cardhu

Shit, they're all good. The only one I ever tipped down the sink was some Aberlour shit, it was quite expensive but had some hideous taste that I couldn't handle......

moorey

call me Mia
Whisky is ace, but I'll never touch the famous grouse since I did their distillery tour. Instead of learning about how it all works it was a tacky sound and light show, fuck you "famous grouse experience" !!

Ardbeg Blasda
Ancnoc
Lagavulin
Cragganmore
Cardhu

Shit, they're all good. The only one I ever tipped down the sink was some Aberlour shit, it was quite expensive but had some hideous taste that I couldn't handle......
Too pheasanty?